Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my Bolt in early January and am only now approaching 3 k miles. I won't need service for quite a while and it is 50 miles to the dealership. Has Chevy upgraded the Bolt operating system and should I make a effort to get mine upgraded?:nerd:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
So I bought my Bolt in early January and am only now approaching 3 k miles. I won't need service for quite a while and it is 50 miles to the dealership. Has Chevy upgraded the Bolt operating system and should I make a effort to get mine upgraded?:nerd:
The Infotainment software and associated subsystems have had at least one major update released that fixed a number of a problems. The version that you are probably running is 13.4.0 and the updated version should be at least 14.1.0. To check the software version you have, you need to do the following on the Infotainment screen: Home -> Icons ->Settings -> Software Information -> Software Update. Follow the prompts to have it check for an update (there won't be one available, Chevy hasn't activated over the air updates yet) and it will return the version of what the current one is.

The TSB you want done is:

17-NA-071 Various Vision Camera and Radio System Issues
Important: If built on or after 2/6/2017, this bulletin does not apply because it should have been built with updated software to address this.

Conditions:
Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:

•Camera icon “grayed” out under 8 KPH.
•Some personalization options lost or changed such as favorite stations, source, screen color/theme, etc.
•Intermittent blank display on start-up that returns when shifted to reverse or key cycled.
•Vision camera stays on.
•Vision camera screen intermittently appears when a phone with Android Auto is plugged in instead of the Android Auto screen.
•Time on the top of the home screen and home widget do not match.
•No audio after unplugging a phone with Apple CarPlay.
•The radio may reset following a bluetooth phone call

Correction: A software update for the A11 Radio released on Feb 6 2017 is to be applied via TIS2WEB's USB Copy/ USB File Transfer updating method (not via DLC SPS programming)

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I took delivery of my Bolt at the end of Feb and since then I've had a couple of the system modules updated... allegedly. I'm not convinced the techs that were working that day understand about flashing firmware, but they say it was done. Specifically it was the HPCM (motor speed controller) and I forget what the other was. They say they also updated the FW in the infotainment system also but it still reports the same ver 14.0.5 that it has since I got the car.

With all that being said, I went for a test drive with a very professional and likeable younger service manager on a different day who told me that unless the customer complains about a specific issue that a TSB lists a software update as a fix for, they will not proactively update firmware on other systems. He said this was because they don't want to fix something that isn't broken, but IMO it's just because it takes time to look up and perform the procedure and they don't want to go through the process unless a customer is bitching about it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ Think of it like the BIOS on your computer motherboard but 300X more expensive...
Many updates have likely been released since it's initial sale date, but due to the potential to brick the MB during the flash update procedure it's generally not advisable to update the BIOS unless you have a specific problem that one of the updates addresses.

Like you said, don't fix it if it's not broken!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Think of it like the BIOS on your computer motherboard but 300X more expensive...
Many updates have likely been released since it's initial sale date, but due to the potential to brick the MB during the flash update procedure it's generally not advisable to update the BIOS unless you have a specific problem that one of the updates addresses.

Like you said, don't fix it if it's not broken!
A friend of mine tried to update her Honda navigation system and indeed bricked the motherboard. It was $7 k and after a lot of effort, Honda paid for it. OK, no hurry on any upgrades.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ I've bricked a few computer motherboards in my day... not fun!

The good thing with the Bolt is that so far updates are dealer performed only... which leaves owners completely indemnified if the update bricks the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Soooo, Infotainment updates are done by us, or automatically for us, but "system" or "module" updates are the province of the service personnel, right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Soooo, Infotainment updates are done by us, or automatically for us, but "system" or "module" updates are the province of the service personnel, right?
Nope, Although theoretically Chevy can push an update remotely, to date they have not done so. To get the Infotainment update I had to go in to the dealer and have the Service Dept. do the update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts