Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

They started development of this several years ago, but were too far ahead of their time, and closed down.
Recently resuscitated looks like they might actually get to market this time.

It can apparently really be significantly charged but its own solar panels in many climate zones, and in one configuration has a 1000 mile range.

I actually put a $100 deposit on one to hold my place in line.

---- added notes FWIW after seeing others' comments ---
I ordered one with the 400 mile range. In truth with our pattern of use and the fact that the 250 mile version can be fully re-charged in an hour at a level-2 charger 250 would be plenty.
Of note and interest to me is that it has no drive train. The motors are right in the hubs. That means no CV-joints, etc, to fail.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
It's a nice car, but not for winter weather. For me, it's more like a toy that I don't really need. I have two seasons here : winter season and BBQ season. I don't see where and when I can use it.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
2,612 Posts
It's a nice car, but not for winter weather. For me, it's more like a toy that I don't really need. I have two seasons here : winter season and BBQ season. I don't see where and when I can use it.
Why not for winter weather? The 400 mile version can still be had under 30k and that will probably destroy the Bolt in winter range. Having owned several Smarts I instantly love this thing.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Why not for winter weather? The 400 mile version can still be had under 30k and that will probably destroy the Bolt in winter range. Having owned several Smarts I instantly love this thing.
A three wheeler in winter, here, is a hazard on the road. Not for me, sorry. And with the trucks around you, they don't see me in my Bolt EV, imagine in this toy car.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
A three wheeler in winter, here, is a hazard on the road. Not for me, sorry.
Is that true? Why the **** does Can-Am exist and made in one of the coldest places on Earth? 😁

Genuinely ignorant to the idea that 3 wheels is bad. I would have thought keeping the tail lighter might actually afford you more control.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Is that true? Why the **** does Can-Am exist out of one of the coldest places on Earth? 😁

Genuinely ignorant to the idea that 3 wheels is bad. I would have thought keeping the tail lighter might actually afford you more control.
Just count how many Can-Am you see during winter time on the roads. Let me know when you saw one.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,191 Posts
A three wheeler in winter, here, is a hazard on the road. Not for me, sorry. And with the trucks around you, they don't see me in my Bolt EV, imagine in this toy car.
I'm looking forward to finding out just how bad the aptera is in snow because of it being three wheel. Honestly don't expect it to be that bad with real winter tires on it. There's a non-zero amount of time where not driving in the ruts other cars have made is less dangerous because the ruts are iced over.
Of course the model I'm getting is going to have all three wheels as drive wheels instead of just the front two.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'm looking forward to finding out just how bad the aptera is in snow because of it being three wheel. Honestly don't expect it to be that bad with real winter tires on it. There's a non-zero amount of time where not driving in the ruts other cars have made is less dangerous because the ruts are iced over.
Being that the Aptera is very light, it needs very thin tires to compensate. The first winter storm and I doubt it will be able to stay on the road.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Being that the Aptera is very light, it needs very thin tires to compensate. The first winter storm and I doubt it will be able to stay on the road.
We get about half the snow totals in NYC most Canadian cities get on average, for me if this were true I'd just park it and use the other car in a storm. Realize that requires a 2 car household, but really trying to find an excuse to get this thing into my life.

·
Registered
490 Posts
it will probably be outlawed for the freeway, due to changing lanes without signaling. I can't see this being much more than a delivery car for pizzas.
But with more R&D it could be a future commuter.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
We get about half the snow totals in NYC most Canadian cities get on average, for me if this were true I'd just park it and use the other car in a storm. Realize that requires a 2 car household, but really trying to find an excuse to get this thing into my life.
Then you agree with me, in the end. It's a toy, like a Miata for exemple. You drive it in weekends during sunny days.

·
Registered
644 Posts
it will probably be outlawed for the freeway, due to changing lanes without signaling. I can't see this being much more than a delivery car for pizzas.
But with more R&D it could be a future commuter.
I interpret those thin tail lights to do everything that they are supposed to do, perhaps more. Every move that it makes will be probably over done.
I have every socket of this little urban only stocked with the brightest LEDs that they sell. The amber orange turn signals are easily seen from a mile away. Yes, at night, it looks like a little carnival ride, but I know that it is seen. I suspect Aptera will do much better.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: OneEV and GJETSON

·
Registered
490 Posts
I interpret those thin tail lights to do everything that they are supposed to do, perhaps more. Every move that it makes will be probably over done.
I have every socket of this little urban only stocked with the brightest LEDs that they sell. The amber orange turn signals are easily seen from a mile away. Yes, at night, it looks like a little carnival ride, but I know that it is seen. I suspect Aptera will do much better.

View attachment 42003
Pretty sure on some of the highly used Semi Truck routes in the US your "vehicle" would be a very scary ride indeed! I must admit there is a cool factor and that sounds good. Lots of lights is good for night, but in the daytime, not so much. In England they had 3 wheel cars for the disabled and they were not allowed on the Motorway... too dangerous.
You keep inventing my man.... you car may be the Future...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Pretty sure on some of the highly used Semi Truck routes in the US your "vehicle" would be a very scary ride indeed! I must admit there is a cool factor and that sounds good. Lots of lights is good for night, but in the daytime, not so much. In England they had 3 wheel cars for the disabled and they were not allowed on the Motorway... too dangerous.
Oh just read the "urban only" statement.... I over state...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Mine is over thirty years old and is a standard vehicle on two lane roads in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and northern Germany.
It fits into the tiny narrow streets of those countries' villages, while going the 20 to 40 miles between villages. It would not be
appropriate for any superhighway use...no matter how high the lithium voltage got to... They should have put a single power
drive in the rear, like Aptera is trying, otherwise the CityEl has been a workhorse in Europe.

I expect a lot more out of the Aptera crew. Since I have cared for cycles with sidecars, trikes and other vehicles, the special
care for such an Aptera design is not unexpected. I am watching its resurrection with interest.

I live in the open SW, where such a vehicle might have chance for both open road and solar input.

Reactions: Inteliquest

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,494 Posts
We have three wheel "cars" because the law doesn't allow four wheeled motorcycles, like the LEV class in Europe. Three wheel, non-leaning vehicles must be wider than comparable four wheel vehicles, for the same lateral stability. In addition, you can't miss potholes. Other than these drawbacks, a three wheeler can be made to do anything a four wheeler can.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,672 Posts
it will probably be outlawed for the freeway, due to changing lanes without signaling.
It has to meet all federal light requirements. Even motorcycles have signals. I had a motorbike back in the '70s that had turn signals. This will have them.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts