Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I just got a letter from the IRS disputing my $7,500 tax credit for a 2019 Bolt EV purchased 3/3/19. It said the VIN is invalid (it's not). And it said I need to send in a copy of the bill of sale and the manufacturer's certification.

Instructions for 2019 Form 8936 point to this web page that lists credit elegibility and amount by manufacturer, model and date put into service. I'm going to send them a printout of the General Motors, LLC section on that IRS web page.

Web searches indicate that requesting a certification from manufacturers or their dealers leads nowhere.

It looks like the IRS is serious about catching fraud through this tax credit.
Did you get this resolved?

Also, did you e-file or paper file? If paper filing, looks like one would have to mail in a copy of the purchase paperwork.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did you get this resolved?

Also, did you e-file or paper file? If paper filing, looks like one would have to mail in a copy of the purchase paperwork.
I originally e-filed with TurboTax. It actually makes sense that the IRS would inquire further, since if anyone could claim a credit without additional documentation it would be ripe for fraud.

In response to their notice, I sent a big packet containing a detailed letter, a copy of the purchase agreement, and a printout of the web page where the Bolt credit is listed (in lieu of a copy of some manufacturer's certification that doesn't seem to exist). A few weeks after sending it, I got a notice that they had received my letter and a determination would be forthcoming. I'm sure they'll accept it, since they have been reasonable in the past. I'll report back when I hear from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the IRS must be doing a lot of audits. I also got notice to provide a manufacture's letter. I turned that into the state when I licensed the vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I received the same letter IRS today for my Bolt EV purchase, back in the mid - March of 2019. I will send in everything that Curt has.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I wonder if some people got a list of VINs and claimed the rebates already and IRS is now trying to figure out who the real buyer are... Anyone filed early and DID NOT get an IRS notice?

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received a letter from IRS 2 1/2 months ago asking for the correct VIN number, a copy of the valid sales contract, and the manufacturer's certification. I faxed the sales contract and CA registration. Today I received a letter of an audit wanting me to pay back $7500 plus 20% penalty plus interest. They want over $9200 from me back.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I received a letter from IRS 2 1/2 months ago asking for the correct VIN number, a copy of the valid sales contract, and the manufacturer's certification. I faxed the sales contract and CA registration. Today I received a letter of an audit wanting me to pay back $7500 plus 20% penalty plus interest. They want over $9200 from me back.
You can file an appeal, right? Difficulty is knowing what exactly the IRS agent did not like.

Seems IRS is shaking us down for no reason. We may need to file a complaint with our Congress and Senate reps to look into this. Is there a climate change denier in the IRS abusing his/her power?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts