Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..in the Bolt and gaming worst case scenarios.
What would happen if:
1. she pulled the emergency brake lever while car is moving?
2. is it even possible to put the car in reverse while it's moving forward?

Anything else I should worry about?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
she can't pull the parking brake lever (it's a button). takes all the fun out of it. when I was 16, I was trying to do 360's in snow covered roads. without parents of course.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You sure you're pulling "UP" to release the parking brake? When I stick my finger below the parking brake button and pull the button up, that sets the parking brake (I remember it as "wheels UP off the ground"). When I push down on the button, that's when the parking brake is OFF (I remember it as "wheels DOWN on the ground").

Also, if you check the manual on pg 211, you will find the Emergency/Parking Brake (EPB) can be applied whenever and if you're moving and want to use it as an emergency brake, just pull the EPB button up and HOLD it up. This will keep applying braking force to slowdown the car in an emergency.

I have only tried putting the car into reverse while moving forward in parking spaces at low speed (less than 5 mph). You will shift but the minute you press on the accelerator pedal, you will start reversing with a sudden jolt from shifting directions from forward to backwards. Same goes if you're already rolling backwards and you shift to D and apply accelerator pedal. For higher speeds, there has been a rumor that you can do this, but I don't have the guts to confirm. Some people in the gm-volt forums claim that if you are at highway speeds and completely let off the accelerator, you could shift to R to activate the backup camera. So long as you don't press the accelerator, you won't break anything. I imaging the strong shift in electric motor torque will do Very Bad Things to your Bolt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My learner's permit 17 yo daughter took out the Bolt a couple days ago. She reported it very similar to the 2013 LEAF she learned on, and waaay better than the Mazda5 gas-wagon I made her drive a couple times....

"Why does it always make the weird roaring sound?" :D

I went to stick the 'Student Driver' magnet on the back of the Bolt and tried 3 times with it just falling off...before I figured out the back panel is Aluminum. :|

They still stick on the fenders, however. :nerd:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
When I stick my finger below the parking brake button and pull the button up, that sets the parking brake (I remember it as "wheels UP off the ground"). When I push down on the button, that's when the parking brake is OFF (I remember it as "wheels DOWN on the ground").
My memory aid is all the previous cars I've driven that have had a mechanical brake lever between the front seats. In all those cars you'd pull UP on the lever to set the parking brake, then push the button on the front of the lever to lower it back DOWN to release it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You sure you're pulling "UP" to release the parking brake? When I stick my finger below the parking brake button and pull the button up, that sets the parking brake (I remember it as "wheels UP off the ground"). When I push down on the button, that's when the parking brake is OFF (I remember it as "wheels DOWN on the ground").

Also, if you check the manual on pg 211, you will find the Emergency/Parking Brake (EPB) can be applied whenever and if you're moving and want to use it as an emergency brake, just pull the EPB button up and HOLD it up. This will keep applying braking force to slowdown the car in an emergency.

I have only tried putting the car into reverse while moving forward in parking spaces at low speed (less than 5 mph). You will shift but the minute you press on the accelerator pedal, you will start reversing with a sudden jolt from shifting directions from forward to backwards. Same goes if you're already rolling backwards and you shift to D and apply accelerator pedal. For higher speeds, there has been a rumor that you can do this, but I don't have the guts to confirm. Some people in the gm-volt forums claim that if you are at highway speeds and completely let off the accelerator, you could shift to R to activate the backup camera. So long as you don't press the accelerator, you won't break anything. I imaging the strong shift in electric motor torque will do Very Bad Things to your Bolt.
Yes, you're correct. I meant pulling up sets the brake. Thanks for the note on the manual, I should have checked it.

I"ll indeed hold off on shifting to reverse for purposes of the rear cam....
Tx.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a thought - train her using D mode, not L, so she will develop the habit of always using the brake pedal.

She'll need that habit when driving any other car...
Good idea, thanks. We tried L once and she didn't like it but I think you are correct, it goes beyond the regen issue.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My memory aid is all the previous cars I've driven that have had a mechanical brake lever between the front seats. In all those cars you'd pull UP on the lever to set the parking brake, then push the button on the front of the lever to lower it back DOWN to release it.
I even came from a car like that (88 Maxima wagon) before the Volt. Can't believe why it didn't click like that. Must be a pilot at heart with the wheels up/down thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a thought - train her using D mode, not L, so she will develop the habit of always using the brake pedal.

She'll need that habit when driving any other car...
Once you go L mode, you'll never want to go D mode again...
...unless you have to rent a car out of town. I almost forgot how to brake "normally." I look forwards to the day when EVs are available for rent. Imagine how much money the rental companies will save just on maintenance alone.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
"There are only two kinds of pilots of retractable gear aircraft:

- Those who have landed with the gear up, and
- Those who are going to land with the gear up."
Are you saying I'm going to forget the EPB when I shutoff my Bolt? Cause never will happen thanks to muscle memory working just fine.

Now driving off with the EPB engaged? Check. Thankfully it auto disengages when I'm in reverse and apply accelerator.

New Owner Pro Tip #1: you didn't destroy your EPB by driving off with it on. If you gently accelerated, it auto disengaged. That grinding sound was merely a warning for the future.

New Owner Pro Tip #2: you forgot EPB on the hill and just let it rest on the Park Pawl? Bolt's got you. Just don't do that again cause there's only so much that pawl can take.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts