Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a thread on "the other forum" about installing telescopic sun visor from the Volt:
http://www.mychevyb
olt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6512

Tttait did a very good introduction and detailed instructions but I wanted to go one step further and get the vanity lights to also work.

Here are the parts list:
  • Sun Visor, Drivers Side (Left. w/vanity lamp grey) #23223684
  • Sun Visor, Passenger Side (Right. w/vanity lamp grey) #23223686
  • Sun Visor, Cover (Left; Right. grey.) #23438713 (2 Required)
Because I already tapped power from the mirror for my Dashcam I wanted to tap power from a different circuit from the overhead console. To remove the overhead console, free the two clips at the front that hold it to the headliner, pull somewhat hard and release the 4 metallic clips in the center, the back clips just pinch the headliner. 12v Un-switched power is available between the black and white wires the light connector on the left side.

I soldered some connectors to the Volt visors, as I couldn't find the OEM connectors by themselves (they comes as part of an expensive loom). I also created my own mini-loom with two connectors on each side and some needles to pick up the power to the back of the light connector. I then wrapped the mini-loom in electrical tape (sorry no pics of the finished loom).

Remove the bolt visors by using a trim removal tool (or a credit card!) to help free the clips that hold it to a white plastic piece in between the roof rail and the headliner, this is not easy and you will need to apply some force. As Tttait shown in the other thread, you then have to cut the 3rd screw well and some of the clips, so it looks like the Bolt base.

Route and tuck the mini-loom (in orange on the picture) under the headliner and plug the needles in the back of the light connector. I wrapped the mini-loom with the soft part or some Velco to minimize any possible vibration noises. I removed the white plastic pieces that was in between the roof rail and the headliner to free some space for the wires and I screwed the visors directly to the roof rails.

Finished install. Looks and function like OEM (click on any pictures for a high-res version):

Hopes this help.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Tttait did a very good introduction and detailed instructions but I wanted to go one step further and get the vanity lights to also work.
Terrific description and, as always, the pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for the effort in documenting and posting this!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Excellent mod and it's pretty much what I thought could be done. I will do this mod, but not right now as my plate is already full of other non-Bolt projects. When I do, I'll likely add more pictures to this thread.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a grey 2016 Chevrolet Malibu driver side sun visor off ebay and they are the same color and perfect match for an amazing price. Make sure it comes with bolt cover or buy some.

It's a torx T10 for the screws and some yanking/pulling to get the old one off. And now I have a cloth sun visor that goes with the rest of the interior. I haven't gotten around to wire up the vanity lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts