Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had heated seats, or a heated steering wheel in any car I have owned. I live in California and pretty much avoid anywhere it snows as much as possible. These features always seemed like they were aimed at people in Milwaukee or some place like that. The few cars I have ridden in, or rented with heated seats always seemed like they were way to hot and uncomfortable for me.

Having said all that, I have read that heated seats and steering wheel is a more efficient way of heating a person than the traditional heater, so in the case of a BEV, they are more energy efficient. It is only a $555 option on the Bolt, but this car is already silly stupid expensive for me, so I'm trying to keep a lid on it, so given my experience and my usage, I'm inclined to skip it.

Am I being foolish? I have zero EV experience, so is this an awesome option for extending range? Will I come to find it a go to feature in the winter?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The wife's car has seat warmers and when it's really cold out we use them. It's cool on the Bolt when I pre heat the car with the app or fob the seats are warm. It's been cold to me here in northern cal. I got the car from what the dealer ordered back in Oct or nov and did not have a choice or I could wait and get another car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have never had heated seats, or a heated steering wheel in any car I have owned. I live in California and pretty much avoid anywhere it snows as much as possible. These features always seemed like they were aimed at people in Milwaukee or some place like that. The few cars I have ridden in, or rented with heated seats always seemed like they were way to hot and uncomfortable for me.

Having said all that, I have read that heated seats and steering wheel is a more efficient way of heating a person than the traditional heater, so in the case of a BEV, they are more energy efficient. It is only a $555 option on the Bolt, but this car is already silly stupid expensive for me, so I'm trying to keep a lid on it, so given my experience and my usage, I'm inclined to skip it.

Am I being foolish? I have zero EV experience, so is this an awesome option for extending range? Will I come to find it a go to feature in the winter?

Thanks for the feedback.

There is a sizeable increase 1-6kwh on warming the air. Heating the seats and wheel don't seem to hit the usage except maybe by 1kwh

Steering wheel seemed like it'd be a gimmick, but when you're cold it's amazing. I have found that with preconditioning and heated seats and steering wheel I turn the air heat off and you're comfy. The kids even love the rear heated seats on cold days.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I've never driven a car with heated seats or steering wheel, but I'm really looking forward to getting a Bolt with them. I've always found that a cold steering wheel sucks the heat right out of my hands - and no matter how warmly I dress cold hands make me feel cold all over. You don't really have a choice about holding the steering wheel. You can use gloves, but I'd much prefer a warm steering wheel to having to wear gloves to drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of the biggest surprises for me about my Bolt was how much I am enjoying the heated steering wheel. It heats much quicker than the seats do and it just really feels great. I'm out in the Northwest so there is context here. I never would have considered myself as a person who would ever need or want a heated steering wheel, but I'm now a big fan.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kind of like a sunroof, once you have a car with one, you never want one withou...... oh, wait a minute....
Sunroofs don't really do anything for me. Never thought much of them. My wife's Lexus has a sunroof and I never open it. She likes it, but she almost never opens it either. That's what I'm afraid of. Paying for a feature I'll never use in the end.

Now a proper convertible top... that's something I don't think I can do without anymore. That's one huge reason I'm keeping my Solstice. It will likely be a decade or more before somebody builds a true, proper BEV convertible and it's even close to being affordable. :crying:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
While the Bay Area doesn't get the same sort of winters that they do in Michigan or New York, it does still get rather cold. Cold enough that a seat heater really helps take the edge off of the cold when starting out in the morning, or at night when the car has been sitting in the shade all day on a cold day. We use the seat heaters in our cars all the time. My wife won't buy a car without them now. 4 of the last 5 cars we've had have come with seat heaters, and the most recent one, a steering wheel heater. The steering wheel hasn't been used nearly as much as the seat heaters, but when it's been needed, it's been really helpful.

Sunroofs, now that's a different matter. 3 of the last 5 cars have had it, and we hardly ever use them. Maybe on a hot day to help quickly expel the heat trapped in the car, or help keep the car a bit cooler by popping the vent while the car sits in the sun. Why do we have them? Becuase they came with the car at the trim level we bought. Wasn't something we sought out specifically.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kind of like a sunroof, once you have a car with one, you never want one withou...... oh, wait a minute....
I was thinking I’d cut out a rectangular piece of the roof and put in a pop-up. Will the vehicle still run after I do that ? I also wondered if I can get a solar panel pop-up hooked back to the battery ? I’ve got heated steering wheel anxiety.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was thinking I’d cut out a rectangular piece of the roof and put in a pop-up. Will the vehicle still run after I do that ? I also wondered if I can get a solar panel pop-up hooked back to the battery ? I’ve got heated steering wheel anxiety.
Haha, I'm with you! Looks like there are many ways to help relieve your anxiety (these aren't probably the best, but the result of a quick search)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBHT9NI?psc=1
http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Car-Battery-Charger-DIY/

Remember that heating your seat and the steering wheel are actually much more efficient than heating the air around you in the cabin, so don't worry too much!

I've thought about a pop up, I think I'd prefer a panoramic type roof over the cabin, and I think that would fit better with the headliner. Haven't taken the headliner off yet, but roofs aren't structural in the event of a rollover, not sure if there are beams there.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Haha, I'm with you! Looks like there are many ways to help relieve your anxiety (these aren't probably the best, but the result of a quick search)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBHT9NI?psc=1
http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Car-Battery-Charger-DIY/
Great ideas !

Up to now I was thinking I’d plug an inverter into the 12v lighter socket of my wife’s (non-EV) car. Then plug in my 120v Bolt cord (home-made) into my inverter. Then plug the other end of the 120v cord into my Bolt. No more heated steering wheel anxiety !

And I’d be sure to leave my wife some jumper cables…

·
Registered
508 Posts
Since my back is a little creaky, having a heated seat to warm it up is a good thing. Actually driving home from picking up the Bolt, I couldn't figure out which tiny icon turned on the heater seat. Stop and go traffic on 880 is not the place to be studying those **** screens.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do any of you feel that the heater is a little on the weak side ?
For example, setting it at 68 degrees in winter doesn't seem to cut it as well as other gas powered cars.
Is this by design ? (to save charge ?)

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
How does the Auto feature work? I've got my heated seats on "Auto", but they never come on even if the temp is in the low 50's or upper 40's. Does the climate system need to be on Auto as well?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Do any of you feel that the heater is a little on the weak side ?
For example, setting it at 68 degrees in winter doesn't seem to cut it as well as other gas powered cars.
Is this by design ? (to save charge ?)

thanks
I've had it set at 72 and fanspeed 1 and found that more than enough. Temps have been in the 40s in MD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the Bay Area I use an after market seat heater when head go the mountains in winter works great.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Many cars have heated seats but the "wow" factor is the heated steering wheel in the Bolt EV. Here up north, the heated steering wheel is an amazing feature to have. When the car sits outside at -20F for 8 or 9 hours and you are ready to go home, to have the steering wheel warm in almost seconds is amazing ! The same goes for the heated seat. Tesla, with all the electronics in it, doesn’t have heated steering wheel. And it’s a shame, I know people who scratch it from the shopping list because of this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
P.S. By preconditioning the car during winter, all you need is the heated seats and steering wheel to be on to get to work. You will not feel the need to use the heater more than minimum during the driving to the office and this has an impact on the range of the car.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
P.S. By preconditioning the car during winter, all you need is the heated seats and steering wheel to be on to get to work. You will not feel the need to use the heater more than minimum during the driving to the office and this has an impact on the range of the car.
I dunno, even with steering wheel and seat heat I find that cabin heat is definitely needed when the temperatures are close to or below freezing. Unless you're prepared to dress warmly - with a lot of layers of clothing (including good boots with thick wool socks), a nice furry hat and a lap blanket I've driven for several hours in subzero temperatures without cabin heat and been nice and comfy. With recirc off and a good flow of air directed up at the windshield to prevent fogging it works pretty well. But that's too much bother for drives around town.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I dunno, even with steering wheel and seat heat I find that cabin heat is definitely needed when the temperatures are close to or below freezing. Unless you're prepared to dress warmly - with a lot of layers of clothing (including good boots with thick wool socks), a nice furry hat and a lap blanket I've driven for several hours in subzero temperatures without cabin heat and been nice and comfy. With recirc off and a good flow of air directed up at the windshield to prevent fogging it works pretty well. But that's too much bother for drives around town.
I am using both and the heat is set at 22 C level 1 or 2 all the winter here in Quebec. Never had a problem of cold. And yes, I am not wearing summer clothes during winter time, especially when I have 1 foot of snow outside the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts