Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the dashboard for my solar system. The red represents power demand for my entire house. The green represents the amount of Kw being produced by the solar cells. The blue represents self-consumption.

What I don’t understand is why the power demand when I plugged the car in at around 1030 yesterday morning didn’t go up and plateau until the car was charged. The EV charger was obviously drawing more power than the solar cells were producing, but when I’ve charged before, the top of the demand portion when the car was charging was much flatter.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm a state over from you, and have noticed my air conditioner turning on in the afternoon. I'd assume you have other demands beside the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Given that the onboard charger maxes out at 7.something kW, and you have peaks as high as 9, you've obviously got some other loads that are turning on during the day.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Have you considered reducing the output of your EVSE to keep it within your production? Of course, assuming that you can tolerate a longer charging period. I for one, with my use and life needs could easily charge much slower and still be ok, just wondering if anyone else is in a similar boat.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not aware that my charger has variable output. AFAIK there are no controls anywhere on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Have you considered reducing the output of your EVSE to keep it within your production? Of course, assuming that you can tolerate a longer charging period. I for one, with my use and life needs could easily charge much slower and still be ok, just wondering if anyone else is in a similar boat.
Not many EVSEs are adjustable, even fewer can adjust directly based on solar input.

One observation - it seems like a lot of California residents with net metering and TOU metering don't charge their vehicle from the solar array. They let the solar array feed the grid during the peak times, and charge their EVs off-peak. Apparently with a lot of pricing plans, even if your total consumption exceeds production, the time of use delta means that they come out ahead price-wise.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't have net metering in AZ any longer, unfortunately. As infrequently as I have to charge my car, especially right now, I don't worry that much about when I do it. Once I turn on my a/c in the house, I may rethink that, but I think I will tend to keep the car charged to my target level at all times (leave it plugged in) because my garage gets very hot in the summertime here in Tucson. That way the car can turn on the battery cooling system as needed.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Not many EVSEs are adjustable, even fewer can adjust directly based on solar input.

One observation - it seems like a lot of California residents with net metering and TOU metering don't charge their vehicle from the solar array. They let the solar array feed the grid during the peak times, and charge their EVs off-peak. Apparently with a lot of pricing plans, even if your total consumption exceeds production, the time of use delta means that they come out ahead price-wise.
Good information. I admit I don't know how the buy pack programs work. I was just generally thinking that a solar user would benefit from an EVSE that is adjustable and just hard code it at a setting that provides the necessary charge yet doesn't exceed the 'average' capacity of the array. Again, was just thinking out loud. For the JuiceNet, it's an easy adjustment from the phone app.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I do, and its probably going a little far to be Greener, is use the OME 120 volt charger during the solar production. I figure the electrons are basically going from the sun to the car if somewhat slowly and there is not a lot of loss going thru the powerlines. Even though I have net metering. Otherwise I also try and charge during what the power company deems is their off peak time, just to help the planet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts