Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
For a while i believe that's going to be the case, hybrids are still all the rage and even those still have some developing to go through to be further optimized. Then after that and far much more can EV's be more doable.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hybrids will become the norm in the near future. At that time I think that EVs will be in a bout the same position as hybrids are now. Semi-common but not the majority by any means.

I think that the bigger change will be autonomous cars instead of EVs. That will be the thing that revolutionizes the car industry.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Autonomous cars aren't replacements for EV's... Autonomous cars don't even have to be electric...

How is autonomy going to revolutionize the industry, its going to be better then the total advent of personal mobility?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm just saying that it will be a bigger change to the industry than EVS are. And I do think that it will be very revolutionary. I think that in the future everything might be kinda like Uber. You just call up a car and it automatically picks you up and drives you to the place you want to go.Even cars that people may own may be like that. Look at Audi and BMWs systems that park the car itself and then will come pick you up instead of having you walk to the car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm just saying that it will be a bigger change to the industry than EVS are. And I do think that it will be very revolutionary. I think that in the future everything might be kinda like Uber. You just call up a car and it automatically picks you up and drives you to the place you want to go.Even cars that people may own may be like that. Look at Audi and BMWs systems that park the car itself and then will come pick you up instead of having you walk to the car.
why would you want to own the car and not have it at home... and where do these roving fleets of autonomous cars reside? How long before hand must I schedule my pick up in order to get to the office on time?

There are plenty assumptions in the future you just described... naturally there will be cost involved, someone will have to pay for maintaining these roving fleets, and if its not US owning them then the cost will be passed through to us by whoever does own them in the rates we pay for the service.

Its just baking the costs into one handy dandy usage fee. How does that scale vs personal ownership costs and are you willing to trade personal freedom for lower operating rates (if thats actually the case)?

What happens in an emergency, Say you need to get to the hospital as your wife was just rushed to the hospital, can you press the extra special PLEASE SPEED button on the dash to get there faster?

Oh and one last simple fact, the manufacturers will not allow autonomy to happen if it means few cars sold annually/less revenue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts