Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have the battery charged around 40 to 70%, and have the car set to "Transport Mode (a.k.a. battery saver mode)", I think it should last at least several months without problems. The service manual says "up to 70 days", but Li-Ion batteries have low discharging rate, so I would expect it'd last longer if it's charged to the optimal "at-rest" charging level I mentioned above.

Transport mode can be entered into, or exited from by: turning the hazard flashers on, then while stepping on the brake pedal, pressing the ignition button for more than 15 seconds.

Personally, I had my Bolt sit outside in summer for 10 days without entering any particular mode and with the battery only having about 10% left. The battery had negligible level of drain when I returned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's part of what the manual says under "Vehicle Storage":

Up to Four Weeks
. Plug in the charge cord.

Four Weeks to 12 Months
. Discharge the high voltage
battery until two or three bars
remain on the battery range
indicator (Battery symbol) on the
instrument cluster.
. Do not plug in the charge cord.
. Remove the black negative (−)
cable from the 12-volt battery
and attach a trickle charger to
the battery terminals or keep the
12-volt battery cables connected
and trickle charge from the
underhood remote positive (+)
and negative (−) terminals. See
Jump Starting - North America
0 304 for the location of these
terminals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used the "Transport Mode" method when leaving the Bolt in the garage for 2 - 3 months with no trickle charger and have had no problems. I am not a fan of trickle chargers after a friend's house burned down and the cause was traced to a trickle charger that malfunctioned.

With it being so hot in the garage in SE Florida, when we left at the end of June, I thought it might be better for the car to be left plugged in to the EVSE, so it could use AC power to keep the main battery cool. Bad idea. When we got back last week, the 12V battery was so low the car would not power up. Had to use a jump pack to get the car to energize. Then the main battery took over to charge up the 12V battery. All is well, but an inconvenience....

I was under the impression that the main battery keeps the 12V battery charged up when plugged in to the EVSE. Does not seem to be the case when left plugged into the EVSE for an extended period of time. So think about the vampire drains on the 12V battery if you do not use "Transport Mode" when leaving the Bolt with no use for longer than a month.

Just my experiences. Hope this helps.

Jim I - Very happy 2012 Volt & 2017 Bolt Owner

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I was under the impression that the main battery keeps the 12V battery charged up when plugged in to the EVSE. Does not seem to be the case when left plugged into the EVSE for an extended period of time. So think about the vampire drains on the 12V battery if you do not use "Transport Mode" when leaving the Bolt with no use for longer than a month.

Just my experiences. Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing that. This is the second time I can remember reading about this happening on this forum. @daveo4Bolt shared his experience with the same issue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Guys, after reading all the posts (and doing some research) in regard long term storage (which I must do, being a "snowbird" and thus abandoning the Bolt for 6 months at a time), I've decided to:

Put a "smart charger" on the 12v battery, and,
Plug in the EV charger.

Car will be set to 45% charge. And I'll also engage in serious prayer along with, possibly, some sort of animal sacrifice thrown in for good measure.

Rich

·
Registered
475 Posts
In my experience, a cheap trickle charger isn't good for anything but slow charging. I left the HF $5 'trickle charger' (0.5A I think) on an idle farm tractor and it cooked out the water over a month or so.

I stepped up to a 'smart charger', no more problem.

I think the HF or any cheap trickle charger runs continuous with no voltage sensor to interrupt the charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
California
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing