Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
201 - 220 of 227 Posts
The car I just moved from was a VW TDI manual trans. I might be an odd ball, but I switch between D and L throughout my drive. Normally I switch to L to come to a stop of slow moving traffic. I run D for all other driving so I can just coast and slowly lose speed.
If you are an oddball, you have company. I also came to the Bolt from VW TDI manual and drive the Bolt the same way as you describe, mixing in regen paddle too.

The car I just moved from was a VW TDI manual trans. I might be an odd ball, but I switch between D and L throughout my drive. Normally I switch to L to come to a stop of slow moving traffic. I run D for all other driving so I can just coast and slowly lose speed.
Coasting in L is achieved by feathering the accelerator pedal. Its much easier than 2 or 3 pedal driving and achieves exactly the same objective as coasting. Also, you are not regenerating energy if you coast in D, so its a waste of energy.

Also, you are not regenerating energy if you coast in D, so its a waste of energy.

I'm sorry, but that statement is incorrect. Coasting = preserving kinetic energy, not wasting. Regeneration involves converting energy from kinetic to stored (via electricity). Energy conversion is lossy (meaning not 100% efficient) and therefore losing (wasting) a small percentage of energy to heat, friction, etc. The same is true upon acceleration the stored to kinetic energy conversion is also <100%. As many have pointed out leaving sufficient space to absorb slowing/speeding of traffic ahead (whether in D or L) allows for speed to be preserved which is the most efficient use of energy.

[/B]

I would agree to this one.
I just wonder how the Traction Control and ABS systems would react to it :nerd:
Via some recent aggressive testing w/L on ice it seemed like ABS might have been activating a little in L mode during regen producing a skid but nothing like how it behaves when applying the pedal. Pedal activation produces an obvious acoustic signature of ABS. If ABS was activating at all in L without any pedal, then it was barely discernible from road noise.

Coasting = preserving kinetic energy, not wasting. Regeneration involves converting energy from kinetic to stored (via electricity). Energy conversion is lossy (meaning not 100% efficient) and therefore losing (wasting) a small percentage of energy to heat, friction, etc. The same is true upon acceleration the stored to kinetic energy conversion is also <100%. As many have pointed out leaving sufficient space to absorb slowing/speeding of traffic ahead (whether in D or L) allows for speed to be preserved which is the most efficient use of energy.
There is no way any driver is quick enough or intelligently connected to the car enough to be able to balance conservation of energy and regeneration of energy with sufficient precision to beat our the regen capacity of the Bolt. This fantasy has been discussed many time in various BBS, and is merely an excuse to drive the Bolt like you would drive an ICE car. By this fantasy, drivers would be able to improve the miles per kWh numbers significantly, and no evidence of this has been demonstrated anywhere that I know. If there is such scientific evidence, please cite it, and explain why regen is always put into good electric vehicles, including electric motive power on the railroads, if not for electrical efficiency. Further, why would you constantly mess around with your feet, deciding on coasting or regen, braking or regen and so on, when all you have to do is slightly modulate your right foot to achieve electrical efficiency?

There is no way any driver is quick enough or intelligently connected to the car enough to be able to balance conservation of energy and regeneration of energy with sufficient precision to beat our the regen capacity of the Bolt. This fantasy has been discussed many time in various BBS, and is merely an excuse to drive the Bolt like you would drive an ICE car. By this fantasy, drivers would be able to improve the miles per kWh numbers significantly, and no evidence of this has been demonstrated anywhere that I know. If there is such scientific evidence, please cite it, and explain why regen is always put into good electric vehicles, including electric motive power on the railroads, if not for electrical efficiency. Further, why would you constantly mess around with your feet, deciding on coasting or regen, braking or regen and so on, when all you have to do is slightly modulate your right foot to achieve electrical efficiency?

My main point was that undesirable losses occur in energy conversion in all forms which is sometimes lost in discussion. Conservation of energy in one form is not equivalent to wasting energy, that comment is oversimplification.

Coasting in L is achieved by feathering the accelerator pedal. Its much easier than 2 or 3 pedal driving and achieves exactly the same objective as coasting. Also, you are not regenerating energy if you coast in D, so its a waste of energy.
Well aware I can coast with feathering the accelerator, but you do regen in D mode. Just not at the same level as L. Plug, the regen on demand padel can help D mode with more regen and slowing down.

Has anyone found the 2023 Bolt's brakes problematic? I test-drove one yesterday and was not happy with how long it took to get it to a stop from 30 MPH.
If the battery was charged to 100%, or if it was cold and the Bolt had been sitting for a couple of days, you might have experienced limited regenerative braking. In EVs like the Bolt, when you first press down on the brake pedal, it uses the electric motor to slow you down instead of the friction brakes. In order to engage the friction brakes, you press down more.

So in that scenario where the battery is fully charged or cold-soaked, you might feel like the brake pedal needs more force than usual to administer braking.

Otherwise, there might be a problem with the particular Bolt you test drove. In general, the Bolt seems to brake quite well. It takes 123 ft to stop from 60 mph, which is on the low (good) end:

Thanks so much - this CR survey is troubling - it reports alot of mixed satisfaction with quite a few EVs that folks I know swear by... Sometimes too much info is not a good thing...?
Which CR survey? My link just shows the list of stopping distances for various types of vehicles. The only type of vehicle that has a shorter stopping distance (on average) is a sports car...?

Sorry i meant to respond to the post above you - he included this link.
I had to dig to get into the specifics - the survey at the top level just ranks all kinds of cars on lots of factors. If you're able to get in (i.e., a member) you can look at specific rankings - and they have braking listed. It seems to confirm some problems with the Bolt's braking distance - longer than others, though not everyone.

If the battery was charged to 100%, or if it was cold and the Bolt had been sitting for a couple of days, you might have experienced limited regenerative braking. In EVs like the Bolt, when you first press down on the brake pedal, it uses the electric motor to slow you down instead of the friction brakes. In order to engage the friction brakes, you press down more.

So in that scenario where the battery is fully charged or cold-soaked, you might feel like the brake pedal needs more force than usual to administer braking.

Otherwise, there might be a problem with the particular Bolt you test drove. In general, the Bolt seems to brake quite well. It takes 123 ft to stop from 60 mph, which is on the low (good) end:
Actually when I wnet into that survey it showed the Bolt doing worse on braking - 138 feet
jm

Actually when I wnet into that survey it showed the Bolt doing worse on braking - 138 feet
jm
This is the one I have: 123 ft:

Long term update: 128 ft:

If braking distance is a priority, change the tires. The OEM tires are designed for low rolling resistance, which is the opposite of good braking. It also explains why braking distance in general will get worse over time as the tires wear.

Thanks so much - this CR survey is troubling - it reports alot of mixed satisfaction with quite a few EVs that folks I know swear by... Sometimes too much info is not a good thing...?
Agreed. This is the best place for bolt info and satisfaction, but you have to be aware that many people come here when they have a problem or complaint.
I have found over many years that most cars are fine and well built, but if you’re one of the few unlucky ones, that doesn’t help much

Agreed. This is the best place for bolt info and satisfaction, but you have to be aware that many people come here when they have a problem or complaint.
I have found over many years that most cars are fine and well built, but if you’re one of the few unlucky ones, that doesn’t help much
So I looked at your survey which is from 2020. It says Bolt stopping distance was 123 feet. CR's 2023 review shows 138 feet. That is more consistent with my experience in the car I tried on Sunday...

This is the one I have: 123 ft:

Long term update: 128 ft:

If braking distance is a priority, change the tires. The OEM tires are designed for low rolling resistance, which is the opposite of good braking. It also explains why braking distance in general will get worse over time as the tires wear.
Yeah but this was a brand new car. YOu're saying use completely different tires?
JM

201 - 220 of 227 Posts