Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, just wanted to share my excitement of picking up my new Chevy Bolt EV. My name is Matt, 28 years old living in Portland, OR. I was recently hired on at a local Tesla Service Center and caught on pretty quick to the importance of EVs. The lower price markets are pretty saturated with EVs but nothing with impressive range and power, less than 200 miles range was unacceptable and the other vehicles performance was laughable, at best.

As someone that has owned many hot hatches, Fiesta ST, Civic, Mazda Protege5, etc, the Chevy Bolt immediately caught my attention. I spent weeks doing research, making sure this would be something worthy of being my daily commuter. After test driving last night, it all came together and I replaced my Toyota Tacoma with a Cajun Red Bolt EV.

This is my first GM product and I’d be lying if I didn’t have some initial concerns about the quality. Some people complain about the interior quality but I find for what the car is, it’s just right. The technology inside makes up for anything I’d say about the seats, but they compliment my 5’10” 165lb frame perfectly, and I’m surprised by the headroom I still have.

And oh yes, about Tesla. Like everyone else, I was waiting anxiously to see a Model 3, but we don’t even know when we’ll have one in the showroom, as Tesla is prioritizing reservations first and who can blame them. Secondly, no lease options, at least for a few years. And honestly, I think I prefer the hatchback in the Bolt. Performance seems to be just in par or barely worse as far as acceleration and range is slightly better than the entry level 3.

Overall I think this will make a great commuter for me and I’m anxious to see what this car has to offer. My commute to work and back is 12 miles of pure city driving so it will certainly fit the bill.

This past week the dealer put on 35% tint all around and I added a set of Chevy Sonic Z-Spec wheels with winter tires.

After tint and wheels

My next plans are to have the chrome trip wrapped in matte black vinyl.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'll buy anyone lunch in the Bay Area - if they post a photo of a Bolt charging at a Tesla Service center via a jdapter - especially given Tesla's recent "challenges" in shipping a similar car in a similar price segment :)

it would also be a test of Tesla's missions statement which is:

The Mission of Tesla. Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.

well a compelling mass market Electric car has been brought to the market - Tesla should support it - and they should have no problem with Bolt's using Tesla provided L2 chargers when possible/reasonable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll buy anyone lunch in the Bay Area - if they post a photo of a Bolt charging at a Tesla Service center via a jdapter - especially given their recent "challenges" in shipping a similar car in a similar price segment :)

The Mission of Tesla. Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.

well a compelling mass market Electric car has been brought tot he market - Tesla should support it - and they should have no problem with Bolt's using Tesla provided L2 chargers when possible/reasonable.
I plan on getting the adapter at some point soon, so I'll take you up on that challenge even though I'm not local.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll buy anyone lunch in the Bay Area - if they post a photo of a Bolt charging at a Tesla Service center via a jdapter - especially given their recent "challenges" in shipping a similar car in a similar price segment :)

well a compelling mass market Electric car has been brought tot he market - Tesla should support it - and they should have no problem with Bolt's using Tesla provided L2 chargers when possible/reasonable.
Challenge accepted!!! :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am considerably bigger than OffTheWall (as in 6'2" and 215 lbs), and I haven't had any experience with hot hatches, but otherwise I can very closely relate to his thought process and observations.

I'd also politely add that I have very little hope the $35K version is going to be available until 2019, which makes the current @$49K Model 3 too expensive for my budget.

·
Registered
782 Posts
35k version should be available mid year 2018 - but only to existing orders - Tesla will begin shipping 35k Model 3's in 2018 - but I agree a deposit today on one will probably have to wait until 2019.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I plan on getting the adapter at some point soon, so I'll take you up on that challenge even though I'm not local.
Awww, but there's no fun in that. You're a Tesla employee so one could argue you're allowed to tap into their chargers as an employee perk, regardless of your EV.

I wonder if Musk will get a little peeved to see an employee of his using a Bolt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I design scientific instrumentation and test equipment but for my home lab I bought competitor equipment. For the low end stuff I wanted (didn't want to spend more than a few hundred) they do it better. I get an employee discount too.

What they should do is allow employees to take old equipment we don't need anymore from the lab, say for a nominal fee. Problem is probably just the administrative overhead, but that would make it worth it. Obviously few employees will pay $50k for a scope for themselves.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts