Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The dealerships gave me a hard time charging, so I went to IKEA, in the end IKEA chargers are a great marketing campaign. I ended up spending about 90 dollars on materials to build a workbench. Screw the Chevy dealerships. Tesla would be stupid not to open up its charging network pure economics here and marketing. I originally wanted a Tesla just cant get one. do you guys really think your going to drive your Chevy bolt forever ? I plan on upgrading this was just the beginning Porsche e mission sounds nice it was always my favorite. I have no brand loyalty except to myself ;) Just my humble 2 cents
There's a saying and it applies to pretty much everyone on this site. Some day you will own a Tesla, you just don't know it yet.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There's a saying and it applies to pretty much everyone on this site. Some day you will own a Tesla, you just don't know it yet.
I figure my wife and I have another ten years of driving, at most. Unless we are in a wreck, I don't see another car in our future.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How did Tesla not make the incentive list? Was it excluded specifically, or is there some criteria used to determine if a vehicle makes the subsidy list?
It did. It was there all this time and last week they changed the laws and took Tesla out...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Am I missing something? Musk approached the Big 3 in Detroit about cooperating on an EV charging network in the US with a uniform plugin standard; in other words, invest in the future of automotive transport. He was laughed out of the room.
The fact that Tesla designed and implemented a proprietary connector starting with the Model S years after the J1772-2009 standard was adopted. The reasons why Tesla uses a proprietary connector are known to Tesla but it certainly seems that one of the reasons is to make it harder for non-Tesla EV owners to use Tesla chargers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
the two major reasons for the proprietary connector are:

1. to avoid paying for the J-1772 licensing fee (it's quite steep)
2. they run the high voltage DC over the same pins as the high volatage AC pins in the J-1772 spec - this makes the connector smaller and easier to deal with - anyone who disputes this is welcome to watch my diminutive teenage driving age taught attempt to use the horrendous and horrible Combo SAE connector which is but, ugly and hard to deal with.

proprietary design isn't problem if it addresses actual problem - and the design by committed SAE-combo connector is an abomination.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Actually, without cooperation from the other manufacturers as to standards for charge rate, a big problem with opening up the Tesla SC network to non-Teslas is the amount of charge a Bolt/Leaf/i3 can actually absorb per hour. The potential for Tesla SCs being tied up by slower-charging EVs from other manufacturers is a legitimate concern of Tesla and Tesla owners.
There are standards for charge rate. And both CHAdeMO and SAE/CCS protocols involve exchange of information about charge rates - so I don't see your point.

Are you saying the other EVs have to accept charge at a more rapid rate? I really don't see that having anything to do with "getting manufacturers to pay Tesla so they will open up their SC network" (that was the claim : "I'll open the SC system, you just have to buy in"). The cars are already on the road. For those that aren't - the newer models are charging at faster and faster rates. And Tesla could charge by the minute - your vehicle charges slowly, you pay the same per-minute but more per-kWh. What's the problem? Tesla makes EVEN MORE MONEY per kWh, so what's the problem?

Or, if you are saying that the *standards* don't allow charging at a fast enough rate - that is incorrect. Today's specs for both CHAdeMO and SAE/CCS provide for over 100 kW charge rates.

Remember - the point you are supposed to be defending is "Musk/Tesla offered to open up the SC network, but the other manufacturers weren't interested." Slow charging rates have nothing to do with that.

Another Straw Man argument. Is that the third or the fourth from you so far?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I'm open to buying a used Model 3 from a disenchanted early adopter for cheap if my Volt ever dies. :D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Just keep on driving your Spark and complaining about lack of access to the only truly credible supercharging network. It will keep you happy into your retirement years.
A Spark EV for long-distance traveling? At 80 miles a shot? What have you been smoking? Or are you simply unable to make an articulate response or use logical reasoning?

·
Registered
241 Posts
A Spark EV for long-distance traveling? At 80 miles a shot? What have you been smoking? Or are you simply unable to make an articulate response or use logical reasoning?
Have I been the one railing against Elon's handling of his SC network for the last several pages of this thread while being 80-mile-per-charge SparkE? If I've been smoking, you've been the one inhaling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my hometown of Riverside CA there are two CCS chargers and one CHADeMo/SAE Combo charger at City Hall with free parking. Right across the street Tesla just opened 24 Supercharger stalls, also with free parking. That is the difference in order of magnitude between the Electrify America project and what is needed if EVs are to become practical for the average American.
I strongly disagree that we need DC chargers in towns more than we need them on the highways and freeways. In town, most people can just charge with an L2 at home. What is really needed is what the Electrify America project is all about…Putting in DC chargers on interstates and major highways where they are actually needed for people that want to travel. If I would have had just one DC charger anywhere on or close to I-8, I could have driven my car back here and saved on the shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the people that this URL doesn’t work or don’t want to click on it for whatever reason, two engineers at Tesla working now said that 40% of the parts that come in have to be re-worked or retooled. I would say to the person who thinks everyone who has a BEV now will be driving a Tesla in the future, there may not be a future for Tesla if this is the situation for the rest of the production.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
For the people that this URL doesn’t work or don’t want to click on it for whatever reason, two engineers at Tesla working now said that 40% of the parts that come in have to be re-worked or retooled. I would say to the person who thinks everyone who has a BEV now will be driving a Tesla in the future, there may not be a future for Tesla if this is the situation for the rest of the production.
Yeah, I read the article and it doesn't sound good, but in all fairness it is all hearsay by anonymous sources, so I tend not to put very much credibility in these kinds of stories. It could be true, it could be exaggerated, it could be made up. Who really knows?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I read the article and it doesn't sound good, but in all fairness it is all hearsay by anonymous sources, so I tend not to put very much credibility in these kinds of stories. It could be true, it could be exaggerated, it could be made up. Who really knows?
It's also not unique to Tesla but would anyone care if it was attributed to Ford. Not exactly the same but not nearly as "newsworthy".
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-recalls-fusion-lincoln-mkz-1-4-million-cars-because-of-steering-wheel/

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Have I been the one railing against Elon's handling of his SC network for the last several pages of this thread while being 80-mile-per-charge SparkE? If I've been smoking, you've been the one inhaling.
I haven't been railing about Elon's handling of his SC network - I've been making fun of Teslerati who trundle out the "but Elon said he would share" B.S. My points have been about "Tesla could open the network IF THEY WANTED TO - they don't need anybody else." Musk doesn't have to open the network (which I have said) and I understand it if he doesn't want to (which I have also said). They haven't done so, so they don't want to (which is fine).

But stop with the "Musk is saving the baby seals by offering to open his network".

The SC network is fantastic. Tesla did a fantastic job. Personally, I think they would be insane to open the network to all - it's a marketing advantage (as I have already said). Whatever Musk said, the company hasn't opened their network to anybody (well, non-Teslarites) yet, and they don't need cooperation from any company to do so in the future.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've posted the source that claims the network is open. For the third time, would someone please post a source that states it's not? Otherwise your opinions have no substance or credibility. Your choice.
Don't know how I missed this when it was posted.

Could you please re-post the link?

And what do you mean by "open" - anybody is free to drive up and use it if they can figure out how to do so?

61 - 80 of 116 Posts