Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Elon posted it on twitter.

So after incentives and rebates, the Model 3 could go for less than the Bolt EV. Tesla is trying to undercut the Bolt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe they will, technically, meet the $35k price just so they can say they did. The $35k version will be prioritized pretty low for production, however, and will get cancelled before long.

Of course, that's $35,000 plus $1200 destination and documentation fee so $36,200. Non-negotiable.

The Bolt will have dealer discounts and GM incentives, so street price will be lower.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess the way I see it is a $35,000 Model 3 will be very basic. Essentially, any whiz-bang tech features will be tethered and dependent on your phone & apps. A well-equipped model comparable with a BMW 328 or Audi A4 will be at least $45-50k. I'm expecting even the base Bolt will have a good amount of content.

I've been in some base-model higher-end German cars that while they appeared "premium" on the surface, once you actually realized how many features they're missing, you wish you would have gotten a more "mainstream" model with more features. Not to mention the Bolt will likely have at least a one year head start in the showroom.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Chevy might have a 2 year head start but I noticed Tesla buyers can be like Apple buyers, the truly passionate buyers will wait for the product, those not so serious will jump to another brand. In the end the difference in time shouldn't impact them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't say in all honesty if I'm going to get the Bolt or wait for the Model 3. I'm very curious to see what's revealed in late March.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't say in all honesty if I'm going to get the Bolt or wait for the Model 3. I'm very curious to see what's revealed in late March.
Best thing to do is wait, wait for the Model 3 to come out, test it, compare to the Bolt (and anything else that might be out by then), then decide. This is after all a purchase that you'll stick with for at least 3-4 years, better make it right.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I believe they will, technically, meet the $35k price just so they can say they did. The $35k version will be prioritized pretty low for production, however, and will get cancelled before long.

Of course, that's $35,000 plus $1200 destination and documentation fee so $36,200. Non-negotiable.

The Bolt will have dealer discounts and GM incentives, so street price will be lower.
I don't think they will cancel it. That would look horrible, like when GM recalled and destroyed the EV1.

There has been such a big deal made about this vehicle and the exact price and range it will have. Cancelling it in short time will look like a betrayal at best, and a failure at worst.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think they will cancel it. That would look horrible, like when GM recalled and destroyed the EV1.

There has been such a big deal made about this vehicle and the exact price and range it will have. Cancelling it in short time will look like a betrayal at best, and a failure at worst.
Maybe not. I don't think they'll cancel it within months or anything. I'm think it will be like the MS60, which was available for a few years.

There was a big deal about the Model S coming in under $50k at one time, too. I think Tesla knows that people tend to forget these things rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
competition is good.
but not sure i believe Tesla (Musk) here.
Chevy will have a 2 years head start.
Apparently Chevy won't get too big of a head start. Heard that Tesla will be taking orders this march and people can put down a $1000 deposit for one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks matter...

If the tesla 3 looks sexy like the tesla s sedan..it's lights out for the bolt in my eyes...

The bolt is probably the better machine and people carrier...but sexy sheet metal sells and creates demand....

High performance creates demand...

If the model 3 looks like early predictions of a 3 series sized tesla model s for 50 grand and offers blistering acceleration...

I'll buy one....or if the model 3 cuv comes up as a Porsche Macan fighter....I'll buy one of them.

I'd rather buy gm products but the bolt is a family utility vehicle....an uber special or Lyft...

But I can't look at the bolt and say I like its looks as much as I feel when I look at the tesla lineup so far.

March 30th I think we will get a good idea about the model 3 looks and performance...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, Tesla is working on the Model 3 but things aren't quite keeping to schedule, but things aren't going exactly to plan it seems. The Model 3 will be revealed on March 31st, but not not all of it. So what exactly does that mean?

We are expecting a concept. That could be a car or it could be some sketches, who knows?

We do know that Elon is saying publically that the Model 3 is confirmed for a March 31st unveiling, and production and deliveries will happen in late 2017.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a28074/tesla-wont-show-the-whole-car-when-it-reveals-the-model-3-in-march/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds like Tesla hasn't finalized the design yet? So the actual sale date could be pushed back for all we know. It'd be great if Tesla does manage to release the Model 3 on schedule but if it's delayed like the Model X, not sure if people are willing to wait that long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts