·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price and the range together are quite the package. I think the whole range thing is kinda funny though since I don't usually travel 200 miles or 250 miles in a single day. That should be plenty enough for people to make it from one charger to another. And hey, no more paying for gas any more.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The price and the range together are quite the package. I think the whole range thing is kinda funny though since I don't usually travel 200 miles or 250 miles in a single day. That should be plenty enough for people to make it from one charger to another. And hey, no more paying for gas any more.
Okay...

You have to think about what makes a vehicle practical and doesn't put limitations on its owners, sending them else where to find something that fills in where an EV misses out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay...

You have to think about what makes a vehicle practical and doesn't put limitations on its owners, sending them else where to find something that fills in where an EV misses out.
I'm just saying that for 95% of drivers an EV with 250 miles of range will meet their needs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm just saying that for 95% of drivers an EV with 250 miles of range will meet their needs.
You still continue to miss the point, its not range angst thats the problem its recharge times. I don't care that I can go 250 miles, the point is when I reach 250 miles I have to wait an hour before I can get another 250 miles. That my friend is inconvenient.

Tesla canned battery swap because its not viable, so now what? See you want to talk about these cars becoming mainstream yet we're expecting the mainstream to adapt their needs to these cars and not vice versa. The Model 3 is supposed to bring EV's to the masses right, think family of 4 in Ohio or Wisconson. They buy Model 3 to reduce enivornmental impacts, save money on gas etc... yet they still need a second car for their annual trip to the gulf because their model 3 only moves 250 miles at a time...

Just saying guy, once you need a second vehicle to offset shortcomings, then its over.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The superchargers do a good job at meeting that target:

From tesla's website:

The Tesla Supercharger recharges Model S quickly. Super quickly. Superchargers are for refueling quickly on road trips. A Supercharger can replenish half the battery in as little as 20 minutes. Superchargers will be positioned at convenient locations along major interstates throughout the country.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The superchargers do a good job at meeting that target:

From tesla's website:
Yea this seems like a good solution. Superchargers just need to proliferate more.

I do agree that the speed of recharging is a big deal. Perhaps that should be the focus instead of batteries that can hold more charge.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea this seems like a good solution. Superchargers just need to proliferate more.

I do agree that the speed of recharging is a big deal. Perhaps that should be the focus instead of batteries that can hold more charge.
you're still asking me to spend 20 minutes plugged into a wall where gas and go takes what 7 minutes max. And thats not to mention the lines to get a supercharger, they only build supercharger stations once there is a network of cars they will service. and most stations only offer 1 or 2 chargers, 3 or 4 at the bigger ones, your chances of being held up are increased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts