Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Most people are in the know abuot Tesla's Model 3 plans. This EV is supposed to be affordable at a price of around $30,000 after tax incentives. But we now have word that Tesla is also intending to produce another affordable EV, they will call it the Model Y.

Electrek has run an article that suggests Tesla may simultaneously introduce a smaller SUV called the Model Y to go along with the Model 3. it would have Falcon doors similar to the Model X and would contain the same "pancake" battery platform as the Model 3.

Another clue that points towards the model Y being a thing is Elon Musk's tweet (which he later deleted) that said there would be "a Model 3 and Model Y".

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Model Y has been part of the plan for a while. The 3rd generation architecture is supposed to form the basis for the Model 3 "sedan" (likely a liftback/hatchback like the Model S) and Model Y CUV.

But Tesla has specifically denied this report that they are planning to unveil both vehicles in March. They might talk about it, though.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A smaller suv ev does seem like a great idea. Audi is said to be producing an all electric SUV as well, but that's a different market in my opinion.

·
Registered
786 Posts
March (and April) have passed and only the "pre-production" Model 3 was revealed. A CUV sized BEV is an attractive size because there are many imports using this size as their best selling models. The Ford Escape and the Chevy Equinox are domstic examples of this size that sell very well, even with all the imported competition. Both Ford and GM can enter this level with new BEVs (the Bolt EV is the first), and get way ahead of Tesla Motors when they decide to announce a Model Y.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So a cheaper version of the Model x? My only thought to this is how they would produce the falcon doors in an affordable way in order to not drive up the Model Y prices tag.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Could that be just a test mule for the model Y motors and batteries? I'm hoping they don't go with the eagle doors. As nice as they are I just don't think they're going to be reliable in the long run and I'll get tired of them. An the third row is mostly useless to a lot of people unless they have a large family.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the Model Y (or whatever the Model 3 follow-up car is to be called) will be a more of a practical hatchback or CUV variety - like the Bolt or Leaf. My first impression of the Model 3 is that it seems like it will be more of a sports or touring car.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Chevy will probably come out with an electric CUV before Tesla does. This won't change anyone's EV plans in the next year or two but still interesting to know. Tesla's one of those companies that you just read up about including their future model plans.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're interested in this hypothetical vehicle, don't hold your breath for falcon wing doors. This would be a less expensive vehicle for Tesla and would almost certainly not include those doors, nor all the other goodies on the Model X. Think more along the lines of an electric Subaru "Crosstrek" / i.e., lifted Impreza, with nicer design cues from the Model E/3. Maybe this is the "unexpected to some" car Elon will announce. Question is relevancy by the time they get it to market.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm not expecting too much from Tesla at this point. Their Model 3 isn't going to go on sale until 2018 and then we have to wait even longer for the second hypothetical vehicle. A lot can change between now and then.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Whatever happens i bet the whole thing is a genius marketing ploy by Elon Musk.
Yes, this is a common practice for manufacturers to announce a future product and try to prevent sales to the competition by keeping their fans waiting for "it". Microsoft was known to do this very often. It is known as "vaporware", and a small computer company in 1984 announced a newer model before the present model was selling, thus making their potential customers desire to wait and not buy the present model, losing sales, and eventually went into bankruptcy. It is a dangerous and bad business practice.

GM and many others prefer to keep their newer products in secret, and as soon as the design is proven (using computer simulations), they build a concept version, get their top management approval, then they announce that new product to the general public. This is what GM did with the Bolt EV in January 2015, and soon we can buy the real deal. No two year delay as Tesla Motors is commonly known for!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
At this point, Tesla's Model 3 may as well be vaporware to me because there are still many unknowns about the vehicle like what it'll actually look like, battery capacity, EPA-rated driving range on a single charge, etc.

Bolt FTW!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Vaporware indeed. When one looks at the financials of Tesla, it is difficult to see how Tesla can develop and produce the "Y" Model let alone the Model 3, and in no way simultaneously. Tesla is saying it is going to produce and sell at a profit the Model 3 for $42,000 (average transaction price per Musk) when it can't produce and sell the Model S and Model X at a profit at nearly a $85,000 transaction price. Tesla loses billions of dollars a year, and has never made a profit. At some point it has to make a profit. For Tesla to build the Model 3 and sell it for $40K less than the Model S, it will have to completely redesign the Model 3 chassis and production process; it is not going to get the cost out of the battery since the battery doesn't even cost $40K to build. Tesla hasn't even recovered the development costs for the Model S. The Model X, which is heavily based off the Model S chassis was originally supposed be priced $20K lower than the Model S, but it isn't. The X-wing doors, pedestal rear seat, and other engineering challenges cost the Model X 2 years in production delays. Two years of delay costs real money, which must be recovered in the sale price.

Now Tesla has to invest in designing a new lower-cost-to-manufacture Model 3 chassis, and tool its plant to build the cars in volume production of over 100,000 cars per year. The old NUMMI (Toyota/GM) plant was capable of building 500,000 cars a year Musk says, but that was building one car model with a few different trim levels for the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe. Tesla will be building 3 different models, with just two based on the same chassis design. It's tough to believe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hope that Tesla does succeed, they continue to school other manufacturers on design and desire of the market for electric+design+range. Just like Apple, you have to build the future and then convince the public that they need your new product because of intelligent interface and attractive design. No way we'd be ordering Bolts without the driver of Elon's influence. But in the mean time, I hope to be charging my Bolt with his Solar City offshoot and our wind power driven electricity in preparation for a S3XY electric and convincing as many people as I can to support a solar+electric charged local and national infrastructure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've never understood the comparison between Apple and Tesla. Developing and manufacturing cell phones is a completely different business model than developing automobiles. It is incredibly expensive to develop and manufacture an automobile. As far as a "platform" for apps that make a product do something different, the cell phone beats the automobile hands down. Cell phone compete with phone booths. EV's compete with inexpensive, long-range, rapid-refueling, ICE vehicles. Cell phones cost millions to develop and return billions in profit; automobiles cost billions to develop and return millions in profit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts