Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hope that Tesla does succeed, they continue to school other manufacturers on design and desire of the market for electric+design+range. Just like Apple, you have to build the future and then convince the public that they need your new product because of intelligent interface and attractive design. No way we'd be ordering Bolts without the driver of Elon's influence. But in the mean time, I hope to be charging my Bolt with his Solar City offshoot and our wind power driven electricity in preparation for a S3XY electric and convincing as many people as I can to support a solar+electric charged local and national infrastructure.
No way Elon would be building Tesla's without influence from General Motors' EV1, and "Autonomy" skateboard platform concept.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've never understood the comparison between Apple and Tesla. Developing and manufacturing cell phones is a completely different business model than developing automobiles. It is incredibly expensive to develop and manufacture an automobile. As far as a "platform" for apps that make a product do something different, the cell phone beats the automobile hands down. Cell phone compete with phone booths. EV's compete with inexpensive, long-range, rapid-refueling, ICE vehicles. Cell phones cost millions to develop and return billions in profit; automobiles cost billions to develop and return millions in profit.
Fan bois.
It's not the product, but the brand image that are being compared. Side effects are the willingness to pay more for that brand and a certain degree of blind loyalty as to the superiority of their products. Logic be damned.

On many forums/news sites, if it's not made by Tesla, it's a "compliance car" and not worthy of consideration. I objected to to someone calling the i3 a compliance car, and pointed out that compliance cars are produced solely to garner CARB/ZEV credits and as such are offered in limited markets (ZEV states or a subset).
They then claimed that the i3 was a compliance car because it had skinny tires that were fitted to improve range and a compromise. Plus that BMW left room in the back for a REx when they could have filled it with batteries. And then went on to note that the English language and word meaning were constantly evolving. And it is made by a company that also produces ICE vehicles and therefore they are not serious about making "real" EV's.

Apple gets people to line up to be the first to get the latest and greatest phone, and Tesla has been able to cultivate a similar cult-like following without any advertising budget - the press does all their advertising for them. They same people that are clamoring for the Model Y CUV come up with all kinds of reasons why they would never consider the Bolt (which checks all the boxes they want in a CUV). If the Bolt was produced by Tesla, the sales figures would be much, much, higher.

Not a knock on Tesla. When you can garner that kind of blind loyalty it bodes well for the bottom line. When price becomes less of a consideration than the "cool factor", it allows them to charge more than equivalent products offered by their competitors. It will be a big factor in whether or not they become a profitable company and can stay in business.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Personally, I think iphones suck but people still flock to it because of the brand and the same can be said for tesla's new Models. We know it's most likely going to be delayed in its release but a few forum members already put down a deposit for one. Heck, even I want one because it's a Tesla but the Bolt is just more realistic at this point. It's like the android of the Ev world while Tesla id the iphone.

On a side note, tesla is hitting back by announcing their intent to have driverless hardware come standard in the Model 3.

·
Registered
731 Posts
One thing that adds up to this whole story is the fact that Tesla wants to get its own ride sharing program going. Already it warned current owners to not use their Tesla for any sort of ride sharing where they are making an income, moving friends and family around is fine.

So these cheaper compact Teslas will go a very long way in feeding into Tesla ride sharing vision. Elon even talked about this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
One thing that adds up to this whole story is the fact that Tesla wants to get its own ride sharing program going. Already it warned current owners to not use their Tesla for any sort of ride sharing where they are making an income, moving friends and family around is fine.

So these cheaper compact Teslas will go a very long way in feeding into Tesla ride sharing vision. Elon even talked about this.
Actually, Tesla has stated that their full self-driving capability cannot be used in any ride-sharing system other than the Tesla Network. This does not affect current owners and only limits future cars after the full self-driving is enabled.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On a side note, tesla is hitting back by announcing their intent to have driverless hardware come standard in the Model 3.
Plan on there being an up-charge for the hardware to actually be enabled. It is my understanding that even thought the 'Autopilot' hardware will be included in the vehicle, the 'Autopilot Safety' features may or may not be included in the base MSRP of the model 3, and the 'Autopilot Convenience' features will be an additional charge.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A reasonable assumption, based on current Tesla pricing and expectations, is that Autopilot Safety features will be included in the base price, enabling Enhanced Autopilot would be $5000 and adding the Full Self-Driving capability is another $3000.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thought Tesla was going to offer already activated Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving as standard. Just looked at a few other sources and it looks like the Fully Self-Driving capability will tack on $8,000. The article I read was a bit misleading...

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Autopilot Hardware 2 suite is being installed on all Tesla vehicles but the features require activation, and government approval for the self-driving.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts