Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nikolai Motors has had at least a prototype for a few years now. I have zero faith that Tesla can produce any significant number of any car to actually feed a market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nikolai Motors has had at least a prototype for a few years now. I have zero faith that Tesla can produce any significant number of any car to actually feed a market.
But with the profit on the truck they will probably push production, just like if you order a s model you could have one in a few months

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Was it ever revealed anywhere how much these tractors are supposed to cost? Let me guess, a very affordable entry level model and a deluxe upscale model to be made first. :rolleyes:

The previous products are marketed to consumers with lots of emotion, prestige and image. Semi tractors are mostly marketed on a strong dollars and cents ROI proposition. Also trucking companies don't want to hear about 0-60 times and sports car like handling. That's the last thing they need!

What they do want to hear about is how it will save them money and how long they have to keep their money tied up in a deposit. I suspect trucking companies will be far less tolerant of production delays and excuses.

On the other hand, these trucks do offer green washing credibility to an otherwise very non green business. They also have the cachet to make a stodgy company appear forward looking. So I can see a handfuls of these being purchased mostly for PR reasons. Personally I wouldn't deposit any money until I see one of these prototypes haul an actual trailer full of cargo from LA to SF and back and see how that goes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Terminal-to-terminal truckers, like UPS, that have run the same routes every night for the past 20 years, could implement this tech across they're entire system and you would never see it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Electric buses

Terminal-to-terminal truckers, like UPS, that have run the same routes every night for the past 20 years, could implement this tech across they're entire system and you would never see it.
My understanding is that buses are also a potential growth area for electrification.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Electric buses

A company named Proterra has been making electric buses for some time (made is USA) and they are making serious inroads in major cities. The company brought one to our drive electric week a couple of years ago. I had a chance to ride in one and it was the best bus ride I’ve ever had!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts