Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Tesla Wall Charger Communication error

7K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  GJETSON 
#1 ·
I have a Tesla Wall Connector that I installed last year & have been using the JDapter with no issues up until the last week. I've since developed an intermittent communication error (6 red flashes on charger) that either doesn't allow charging or shuts off charging if it has started. I had the fortunate opportunity to try another, not as used, JDapter last night and no issues.
Anyone else experience similar problems & if so, what the fix was? Plugs, terminals, receiver etc. all look fine.

#2 ·
I seem to recall that the adapter instructions say that you should plug the adapter into the charger before you plug it into the car. Or maybe it's vice versa? Whichever way you've been doing it, it might be worth trying the opposite way and waiting for 30 seconds between plugging the first pair together and the second.

#3 ·
Yup, plug Tesla cord into adapter and wait 30 sec before plugging in car... but he has been using it for a long time just fine, and a different adapter worked for him, so I suspect the adapter is the problem.

OP: Where did you purchase it from? I know that the Tesla Tap I purchased through Amazon has a 1 year warranty... and I looked up the J-dapter stub on Amazon and it also has a 1 year warranty. If you have had it less than a full year, contact who ever you got it from for a replacement.

Keith

#4 ·
Yup, plug Tesla cord into adapter and wait 30 sec before plugging in car... but he has been using it for a long time just fine, and a different adapter worked for him, so I suspect the adapter is the problem.

OP: Where did you purchase it from? I know that the Tesla Tap I purchased through Amazon has a 1 year warranty... and I looked up the J-dapter stub on Amazon and it also has a 1 year warranty. If you have had it less than a full year, contact who ever you got it from for a replacement.

Keith
Starting to think it's the adapter. Gave it another good charge last night with the borrowed adapter and all went well. I'll try again with mine and see what happens.
Thanks.

#7 ·
This is another sticky issue with EV's in general. Clearly, people have to get accustomed to the limitations of range, speed to charge, where you can charge, planning lunches that you really wouldn't take but you'll lie to yourself and tell all of us and yourself you read a book, ate a sandwich and found God for a charge on the 200 mile trip, but the one aspect that will give a bad rep to the technology is flat out failing to get a charge. I have talked to people who have been frustrated with the; 'you have to lift the cord, remove tension to initiate the charge' issue and that's manageable for those that are aware of it. However, I'm worried that gremlins in all aspects of failed charging is a black eye that the industry I hope is addressing. I myself have had to move my car from pedestal to pedestal to find a working unit, whether it's a card reader or something else.

In any case, I hope you don't have any issues in the future.

#8 ·
This is another sticky issue with EV's in general. Clearly, people have to get accustomed to the limitations of range, speed to charge, where you can charge, planning lunches that you really wouldn't take but you'll lie to yourself and tell all of us and yourself you read a book, ate a sandwich and found God for a charge on the 200 mile trip, but the one aspect that will give a bad rep to the technology is flat out failing to get a charge. I have talked to people who have been frustrated with the; 'you have to lift the cord, remove tension to initiate the charge' issue and that's manageable for those that are aware of it. However, I'm worried that gremlins in all aspects of failed charging is a black eye that the industry I hope is addressing. I myself have had to move my car from pedestal to pedestal to find a working unit, whether it's a card reader or something else.

In any case, I hope you don't have any issues in the future.
Looks like Nissan has a comment on this particular topic...

#18 ·
We have had this happen perhaps three times in over two years. I unplug the JDapter from the car, push the Tesla plug into the back of the JDapter with more pressure, and the communication pins again make contact. I then plug it into the car, and all is well.

If it continues, try some electrical contact cleaner spray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.