Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hats of to VW for paying attention to what the end user wants.
Pros
- Bolt EV is a quiet car until you drive ID4 which is even quieter.
- Very good handling with limited roll on corners.
- Amazing DC charging curve.
- Lights where you need them, trunk, doors..
- Good seats
- rear ac vents & two USB ports in rear
- All safety features standard(lane assist, ....)
- plenty of cargo space.
- Tow hitch
- kick open rear hatch.

Cons
- no one pedal driving(almost but still have to use brake to come to a complete stop)
- Pointless capacitive touch button aspecially the volume on the steering wheel.(should have just used regular buttons)
- don't see the point of three window buttons when 4 buttons worked just fine.
- wont complain about info system as i just use apple carplay.

Overall it is really good value over anything else out there.

I love my BOLT EVs( > 100K miles) but after 3-4 years GM has not updated it where it matters.
1) Better cargo space so families can use it as their primary car.
2) DC charging curves similar to ID4.

everything else like better trims instead of cheap plastic is very subjective so i will leave those out.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
181 Posts
As someone who has owned 2 VW TDI’s, I will never buy anything from VW again due to horrible customer service. I wouldn’t trust anything coming from that company.
No one cares, why rain on someone else review for the rest of us to get useful info for? Please do yourself a favor and don’t use any EA stations if you hate VW so much.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
181 Posts
Hats of to VW for paying attention to what the end user wants.
Pros
  • Bolt EV is a quiet car until you drive ID4 which is even quieter.
  • Very good handling with limited roll on corners.
  • Amazing DC charging curve.
  • Lights where you need them, trunk, doors..
- Good seats
- rear ac vents & two USB ports in rear
- All safety features standard(lane assist, ....)
- plenty of cargo space.
- Tow hitch
- kick open rear hatch.

Cons
- no one pedal driving(almost but still have to use brake to come to a complete stop)
- Pointless capacitive touch button aspecially the volume on the steering wheel.(should have just used regular buttons)
- don't see the point of three window buttons when 4 buttons worked just fine.
- wont complain about info system as i just use apple carplay.

Overall it is really good value over anything else out there.

I love my BOLT EVs( > 100K miles) but after 3-4 years GM has not updated it where it matters.
1) Better cargo space so families can use it as their primary car.
2) DC charging curves similar to ID4.

everything else like better trims instead of cheap plastic is very subjective so i will leave those out.
The 3 year free charging is a nice add on. I saw it in person but didn’t drive it, that’s coming next, so far I’m impressed, I have an E-tron now so I’m not in need of space but the ID 4 will be a nice replacement when I decide to get rid of the Bolt, I’m at 73k miles now. Great looking car, thanks for helping out with the extra info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No one cares, why rain on someone else review for the rest of us to get useful info for? Please do yourself a favor and don’t use an EA station if you hate VW so much.
I wasn’t trying to rain on anyone’s review. I was trying to also add useful information, coming from someone who has dealt with VW, for anyone who hasn’t. If you don’t like my opinion, you’re allowed to have your own.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
181 Posts
I wasn’t trying to rain on anyone’s review. I was trying to also add useful information, coming from someone who has dealt with VW, for anyone who hasn’t. If you don’t like my opinion, you’re allowed to have your own.
I get it, and I’m sorry that you had bad experiences with VW , trust me that it could happen with any company and that’s understandable but unless you had a negative experience with the ID4 in particular I respectfully don’t see the point of your post other than venting frustration with VW. There are many members that don’t like VW and that’s ok but then the nice thread that started as a quick short review becomes a “ I like or hate VW” kind of thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get it, and I’m sorry that you had bad experiences with VW , trust me that it could happen with any company and that’s understandable but unless you had a negative experience with the ID4 in particular I respectfully don’t see the point of your post other than venting frustration
If you get it, then why start your original comment with “no one cares.” That’s just being unnecessarily snarky. I’m sorry if you don’t see the point of a post warning about VW’s business practices in response to a post about a VW product. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
149 Posts
I’ve had my own poor experiences with a VW dealership. Also negative experiences with GM when I bought a new 2003 Pontiac Montana van with the cursed sideways V6 that was guaranteed to blow the head gasket immediately after the warranty expired .

That said, even though I said I would never buy another GM product, I bought a 2020 Bolt and I love it. People change, and companies change too.

I like a lot of what I read about the ID 4 and I intend to keep an open mind. I’ll probably be looking for a new EV in about 2 years or so. All opinions are accepted and appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had my own poor experiences with a VW dealership. Also negative experiences with GM when I bought a new 2003 Pontiac Montana van with the cursed sideways V6 that was guaranteed to blow the head gasket immediately after the warranty expired .

That said, even though I said I would never buy another GM product, I bought a 2020 Bolt and I love it. People change, and companies change too.

I like a lot of what I read about the ID 4 and I intend to keep an open mind. I’ll probably be looking for a new EV in about 2 years or so. All opinions are accepted and appreciated.
First, thank you for replying with a courteous tone. I agree that people and companies change. That said, the most recent time that VW did this to me was last week, so I’m not holding my breath that they’ve changed since then lol.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I was just trying to share my experiences.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
181 Posts
If you get it, then why start your original comment with “no one cares.” That’s just being unnecessarily snarky. I’m sorry if you don’t see the point of a post warning about VW’s business practices in response to a post about a VW product. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Welcome to the forum , I apologize for being rude to you. Welcome and good luck to you.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,293 Posts
How does one test drive the ID4?

I searched a little bit....

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does one test drive the ID4?

I searched a little bit....
In looking for A EV for a new car to replace a small leased Buick Encore we test drove a Bolt LT 3 weeks ago and wanted to see the New VW ID4 as a comparison as I am a VW fan(GTI) we called the dealership near us in S-Jersey and the said you called at the right time as we just received a unit for the dealership for test drives 3 days ago. that was 2 weeks ago. we compared the Cost of the Bolt Vs the ID4 Me and my wife liked the ID4 much better but it came down to ..do we like it $9k better(with the government rebate off the price tag). The answer was NO. We Bought the 2020 Bolt Premier last weekend for $29k all in (no sales tax in NJ on EV's). Like it so far although i can see me making a minor improvement on the driver seat eventually:)

PS My first post here on the forum. Looking foreword to info and the contributions from others.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The ID.4 looks pretty nice but I think it's underpowered (same power as the Bolt) for it's weight class. And, I haven't been keeping up: I guess VW actually decided they'd sell them in the U.S.? There was some question whether they'd really make them readily available here.

Mike

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
As someone who has owned 2 VW TDI’s, I will never buy anything from VW again due to horrible customer service. I wouldn’t trust anything coming from that company.
I almost bought a TDI some years ago. Glad I didn't. Would I buy a VW EV today? Maybe.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I almost bought a TDI some years ago. Glad I didn't. Would I buy a VW EV today? Maybe.
In 2000 my future wife bought a VR6 Jetta from the local VW dealer. They did not have the car at the dealer and had one shipped from Chicago. Said it would take a couple weeks. After about a month we spoke with the owner of the dealer and still no car. I think 2 months went by and the car NEVER showed up and they had no idea where it was. Ended up buying a Infiniti G20t and then we traded that about 3 months later for almost exactly what she paid for a new Izuzu Rodeo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts