Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm surprised a street light wiring could absorb an extra 7kw usage without stressing out the wiring. I mean they'd probably use the smallest wires that get the job done for the lamps, although maybe there's a big fat wire from the building/main to the first light or something. Certainly they wouldn't run wires separately to each light right? I admit I have no idea how this is done but I'm curious.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm surprised a street light wiring could absorb an extra 7kw usage without stressing out the wiring. I mean they'd probably use the smallest wires that get the job done for the lamps, although maybe there's a big fat wire from the building/main to the first light or something. Certainly they wouldn't run wires separately to each light right? I admit I have no idea how this is done but I'm curious.
The trick to this is that the wire services about 10 lampposts.... and those lamps are being slowly converted from Sodium vapor to LED. So the current on each branch circuit is going down. Once converted to LED there will be extra capacity on each group of lamp posts.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Very interesting... there's millions of these street lamps, and I assume they will eventually all go LED to save on maintenance costs and reduce electricity consumption. That leaves a lot of potential for L1/L2 charging opportunities.

It will be strange when flying over cities, we see mostly white light instead of the familiar orange.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually, the owners manual says the coolant and brake fluid should be changed every five years or 150,000 miles. But who's counting? It's the only shop service required for the life of the vehicle, although many owners are probably quite capable of performing these tasks themselves too. The battery may no longer hold over 50% charge at around the same mileage, but that's pretty much the expected life of a vehicle.
Don't forget the brake fluid, it should be changed every 2 or so years due to moisture getting into the fluid. Despite being able to regen to a stop, you still need your brakes.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
p7wang
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing