Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
5% to 75% in an hour isn't too bad if you can work in a stop to eat or something. I still say they could probably offer a software upgrade that would pull at least 75kW without changing any hardware. Knowing how conservative GM is, I doubt they are pushing it!

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
FWIW, I have seen multiple sources who claim to have talked to GM engineers who say that the limiting factor is the hardware between the port and the battery.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I suppose that charge rate was ok when the Bolt was being designed (around 2014-2015?), but it's way too slow today. For most people, the slow charge rage is a limiting factor for road trips. IMO, it's best to go deep into the battery (like the video) but stop at the first step down, around 50%.

·
Registered
424 Posts
5% to 75% in an hour isn't too bad if you can work in a stop to eat or something. I still say they could probably offer a software upgrade that would pull at least 75kW without changing any hardware. Knowing how conservative GM is, I doubt they are pushing it!

Mike
Yeah, that would be good. It would help a little if they would change the first step down to 80%, ie, let the car draw 55kW up until 80% charge. That would take about 20 minutes off the 70 minutes in the video.
I think the new VW EVs will charge at 100kW up to 80%. Then you could drive for about 3 hours at ~70mph and spend ~40 minutes charging.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is it better for EV manufacturers to put in a larger battery or increase charging rate? I am fine with my 2018 Bolt as I do not take long trips. What is your opinion? --larger battery or faster charge rate for those who go on long trips?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yes. One way to increase charge rate is by having a larger battery.
The irony of it is that a larger battery will take longer to charge because you have to put more electrons in it. So even though the rate is faster, people will still complain about how long it takes to charge to 80%. They'll do this even though 80% of the larger battery may be more energy than 100% of the smaller one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is it better for EV manufacturers to put in a larger battery or increase charging rate? I am fine with my 2018 Bolt as I do not take long trips. What is your opinion? --larger battery or faster charge rate for those who go on long trips?
Definitely faster charging rate. The cost and weight of larger batteries is substantial, and they will only help for longer trips. Faster charging helps for all trips.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Both! We need bigger batteries because so much is used by heat/AC and interstate speed. Then we also want faster charging rates so we don't have to spend an hour at a DCFC for a reasonable range. We need at least a 100kWh battery that will charge to 80% in 20 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts