Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Texas just started their new $2500 EV rebate program.

With 2019 bolts selling for $27K; this will combine with the $3750 federal rebate to get prices closer to $21k.

Cheers,

Timo

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just want to remind any recent Bolt buyers in Texas about this program. If you are a TX resident and have purchased a new Bolt anytime since Sept. 1, 2019 then you can file a application. If, after you visit the web site and read through the instructions, you have any questions about the process, I will try to answer them. I have received confirmation that my application has been approved. Now I am just waiting on the check to arrive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just submitted mine two days ago, had to have my dad do all the paperwork and get dealers signatures, hopefully it will all go through OK....Even did the dealer reservation paperwork but never got a replay from Texas.gov on it. be curious to see how long it takes for them to process.

·
Registered
130 Posts
...be curious to see how long it takes for them to process.
I called the office a couple weeks after I sent mine in and hadn't heard anything. The person who answered said on average it takes 3-4 weeks for the paperwork to filter through the "process". I don't know if my phone call had anything to do with it, but about 3 days later I received my signed contract and a letter confirming acceptance of my application! The letter says it could be another 30-60 days before the actual check is mailed out. So be patient!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought this was precious.

Only vehicles offered for sale or lease in Texas are eligible for this rebate grant.
I wonder who they are trying to exclude? Maybe they shouldn't collect sales tax for cars not sold, but registered in Texas then.
I kind of get where you are coming from, but the point of this CASH rebate is two fold:

Texas has crappy air quality. I mean bad. Really bad. Awful. No good. Horrible. From many sources (natural and man made) that synergize. We're trying to cut down on the man made stuff, and have come a LONG way. Houston only has a coffee colored haze floating over it rather than a tobacco colored one. PROGRESS.

So the two objectives here are:

Encourage Texans to BUY cars that don't add to the air pollution directly. (And yes, we have dirty electricity plants, but Texas has initiatives to target those, and historically it has been hard to get individual Texans to clean up their cars.)

Encourage Texas DEALERSHIPS which LOVE to sell dirty vehicles to maybe sell cleaner ones.

Offering a rebate on cars that are sold by dealerships outside of Texas wouldn't exactly help with that second one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got a letter in Dec saying mine was approved but haven’t seen anything yet.....
It took a couple weeks from when I received my "confirmation" letter in the mail until the deposit showed up in our bank account. If you don't see the money by the end of this month, I'd give them a call and rattle their cage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Encourage Texas DEALERSHIPS which LOVE to sell dirty vehicles to maybe sell cleaner ones.
Offering a rebate on cars that are sold by dealerships outside of Texas wouldn't exactly help with that second one.
The funny thing about that second objective - the salesman who sold us our 2019 Bolt never mentioned the $2500 TX rebate program. This is at a major Chevrolet dealership in Austin - a city that actively supports clean air initiatives! A week after we took delivery of our Bolt I was notified by one of this Forum's members that it qualified for the rebate. When I called the salesman to ask about it, he acted like he was clueless... He kicked it up to the "financial guy" who was aware of the program, and did help me by generating the proper forms required for submission.

SO, at that particular Austin dealership, the $2500 TX rebate apparently does little to influence the sales of Bolts. BUT, I'm still happy Texas sees fit to offer it - the program just needs a better publicity campaign to get the word out to potential car buyers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So it looks like I will need to submit the following forms:
- main rebate application
- W-9
- Texas Title and Registration

Did I read somewhere about one form needing duplicates?

·
Registered
130 Posts
To be safe, I submitted 2 copies of everything required. The only thing that has to be original is the signatures on the Application Form (TCEQ-20684). The signatures on both copies of that form must be original made by a real hand using a real pen. Everything else can be copies or reproductions.

From the Application Form instructions:

"Use the LDPLIP Application Instructions to complete and submit two (2) original signed copies of the Application(s) or Reservation Form(s). Application forms can be completed both electronically or by hand but must be delivered via postal mail service or hand delivery. Wet ink signatures are required where indicated."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looking at this section which one did you all submit?
  • Copy of completed Application for Texas Title and Registration signed by the buyer and seller. Applications lacking these two signatures will not be considered. The following documents may be submitted in lieu of the signed Application for Texas Title and Registration:
  • an Application for Texas Title and Registration Receipt issued by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles; or
  • a copy of the Vehicle Title and Registration Receipt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used the first one (copy of Application for Texas Title...) because I had not yet received my actual title at the time I submitted my grant request. The dealer gave me a copy of the title application and said I could use it as proof of ownership until the "real" title arrived in the mail.

It seemed to work for me, cuz they gave me the money.

·
Registered
661 Posts
To clarify do You have to buy it from a TX dealer? I am considering a 2021 if GM continues to improve - but would likely buy it in FL again like I did in 2018.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it’s new, and it’s getting titled and sales tax paid to Texas, getting registered in Texas and u agree to have it 1 year in Texas. ( those are their requirements) then I would think it wouldn’t matter. However you can call them. Their number is on the application. What you may not have is the rebate available in 2021. Last time around it only lasted like 6 months, there is a website that shows how much is left ( guesstimate) but not sure how accurate it is. Perhaps someone who regularly tracks these things can chime in..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If it’s new, and it’s getting titled and sales tax paid to Texas, getting registered in Texas and u agree to have it 1 year in Texas. ( those are their requirements) then I would think it wouldn’t matter. However you can call them. Their number is on the application. What you may not have is the rebate available in 2021. Last time around it only lasted like 6 months, there is a website that shows how much is left ( guesstimate) but not sure how accurate it is. Perhaps someone who regularly tracks these things can chime in..
I could be wrong but as I alluded to upthread, this seems to me it was intended to exempt Tesla's which cannot be purchased in Texas physically but digitally. They do get registered and sales tax paid to Texas but not technically purchased from a Texas "dealer". If what you explained is true, then Tesla's would qualify and I don't believe they do.

A lot of states, provinces, and countries (Texas, Ontario, Germany) have gerrymandered the EV incentives in a number of creative ways to keep Tesla owners from claiming them.
I get it and can understand their reasoning since Tesla's account for 4 out of 5 EV sales in the US and they don't get any Federal Credit so no incentive necessary. Unfortunately, you can't discriminate based on product superiority.

It will be interesting how the Texas legislature will squirm as the dealer lobbyist are pulling at one ear and Giga-Texas is pulling at the other. My guess is, as did Michigan, the few remaining hold-out states will give up the arcane charade of protect the consumerism to keep Tesla's out of their states as public awareness exposes their behavior.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes that’s true which is why I said to call them. They can tell you if it must be bought in Texas. I don’t recall seeing anything in the documentation that said it had to be from a Texas dealer. But better to call if it’s out of state purchase.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts