Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to take the Bolt up to visit the family for Thanksgiving. The mileage from our home to theirs is 116 each way. Left with 209 showing on the dash. The first part of the trip is downhill and about 25 miles later the dash still showed us with 209 miles. Once we got on the interstate I put the cruise control on 66 (speed limit varies between 65 and 70). We didn't hit any real traffic and arrived in the usual 2 hours with 127 miles showing on the dash. The last thing I wanted to deal with was "range anxiety" on a holiday evening, so I did plug in the 110V charger while we ate. That added a whopping 8 miles to the range, so we left for home with 135 miles on the dash. Same speeds back home and even though we have to climb the hill on the way back, we made it with 20-25 miles left on the dash. Looks like the GM estimate of 238 is pretty close to reality. I had Waze running on the trip, so I was checking the miles left vs. the range estimates and they were pretty accurate. We had the A/C on since it was pretty warm here, and I really tried to conserve the power as much as possible. We did have the radio going. The Bolt is just coming up on 10,000 miles and we have had it since April. It is such a fun little car to commute in, and with solar panels on the house, we basically charge it for free. The car was back to full after about 8 hours of charging.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I seriously considered taking my Bolt from where I live near the Bay Area down to Santa Barbara to do Thanksgiving with my folks, but I had a hard time when I needed to be there and after looking at the wimpy charging network and it's shaky reliability, I did the right thing and took a gas car.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I had Waze running on the trip, so I was checking the miles left vs. the range estimates and they were pretty accurate.
Having a GPS that tells you the distance to your destination is a huge anxiety reliever for the EV driver. I can't imagine driving my Bolt without one. The car's range makes it a non-issue around town, but when I'm on a longer trip there's nothing quite as calming as much as the car's "range" display being considerably less than the GPS's "miles to go".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts