Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man Jailed After Hertz Reported Rental Car He Pai…:

So EC advised me to rent from Hertz because they will honor the $46 daily rate. Do you feel lucky? 😱

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
1,793 Posts
I was thinking, "this sounds like a reasonable, yet horrific mistake, Hertz is going to pay out the butt" and then she kind of just shoves in there in the second story, "spent half a year in prison."

How... what... could not even the worst public defender put a receipt in front of a judge!?

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
217 Posts

So EC advised me to rent from Hertz because they will honor the $46 daily rate. Do you feel lucky? 😱
I hate Hertz - always have, but especially since those stupid Tom Brady commercials (I hate Tom Brady too).

But now this story gives me another reason to hate Hertz.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was thinking, "this sounds like a reasonable, yet horrific mistake, Hertz is going to pay out the butt" and then she kind of just shoves in there in the second story, "spent half a year in prison."

How... what... could not even the worst public defender put a receipt in front of a judge!?
6 month of lost salary. I hope she's a highly paid individual so she can put in a big law suit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This happened to my ex when she was on a grad student geology field trip in a rented van. They were on the other side of the country when they found out that the van they were in had been reported stolen. Rental company gave them the wrong vehicle when they checked out, then reported it stolen. They figured it out with the rental company eventually, but talk about a hassle!

This is so much worse. Personally I've had decent experiences with Hertz, on par with other rental companies (many will "reserve" a vehicle they don't actually have), and you can get a great rate with them if you have AAA, but this is certainly a big mark against them. This report doesn't even mention the apparent racism in the first three cases. Police arriving with guns drawn and the accused getting significant jail time and a felony record for what could be cleared up with receipts. This is crazy! Absolutely awful.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
1,793 Posts
This happened to my ex when she was on a grad student geology field trip in a rented van. They were on the other side of the country when they found out that the van they were in had been reported stolen. Rental company gave them the wrong vehicle when they checked out, then reported it stolen. They figured it out with the rental company eventually, but talk about a hassle!

This is so much worse. Personally I've had decent experiences with Hertz, on par with other rental companies (many will "reserve" a vehicle they don't actually have), and you can get a great rate with them if you have AAA, but this is certainly a big mark against them. This report doesn't even mention the apparent racism in the first three cases. Police arriving with guns drawn and the accused getting significant jail time and a felony record for what could be cleared up with receipts. This is crazy! Absolutely awful.
You're right, probably worth noting the race and income levels of the people who spent 6 months in prison for this garbage. Total anecdote but also striking at the same time that a geology student on a field trip gets the benefit of the doubt when "discovering" their rented car is stolen while these people got guns, cuffs and arraigned.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rented at Not Hertz and got an Equinox AWD LT, love it except for the part that it runs on gas. It has Auto Stop, so at least it's quiet when stopped.

BTW :)

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right, probably worth noting the race and income levels of the people who spent 6 months in prison for this garbage. Total anecdote but also striking at the same time that a geology student on a field trip gets the benefit of the doubt when "discovering" their rented car is stolen while these people got guns, cuffs and arraigned.
Mitch says black people vote at about the same rate as Americans, so I guess all is good. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just returned my rental Equinox. They have a Model Y out front for rent. Seems it just came in. :)

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Teslarati: Hertz says it is ‘actively receiving’ Tesla Model 3 rental cars across the country.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Kinda reminds me of the time I got hauled out of a Budget rental truck at gunpoint by the throat, courtesy of the Nevada Highway Patrol for driving a stolen moving truck that I happened to have just rented that afternoon. Probably about a dozen, and you could just tell that half of them were rotten pricks. Simply not good people, definitely not the kid of person that should have a gun. No amount of training will fix that kind of dangerous... It was a good night to be on the ground for 2 hours, thank heavens, decent weather. They ended up letting us go. Still had to swap all the stuff in to a different truck. had a friend of a friend run the truck plates....which came back, oddly, NOT stolen. Still don't understand it to this day, but there's a certain thing to be said for not overreacting with fire arms and violence straight out of the gate. Called NHP the next day to ask for a friggin explanation, funny enough they had no record. My hide was intact and it was decided to not pursue the matter further.

The instrument of immediately declaring late rental cars as stolen is a bit messed up. They don't declare defaulted loans on a car stolen, or library books stolen, or late rent. It's just not the right thing to do as a first order of recovery.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 37 Posts