·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
CBS News: Hertz files thousands of car theft complaints against customers every year. A judge ruled they have to make that data public..
I wonder how many of their cars are actually stolen every year?

The more I think about this, the harder it gets for me to take a side. With over 25 million rentals each year, it isn't unrealistic to think that literally thousands of people fail to return their rentals. The question is how do so many people who didn't actually do anything illegal are accused? And why aren't people who prove to be falsely accused taken better care of by such a large company? And how does something like this compare to other major rental companies? Now I want to compare these numbers to Enterprise. ;)

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
The more I think about this, the harder it gets for me to take a side. With over 25 million rentals each year, it isn't unrealistic to think that literally thousands of people fail to return their rentals.
The problem isn't solely in the accusation, it's also on whoever comes around to enforce it not using the common sense to appreciate that it could be in error when presented with a valid rental receipt or invoice.

If nothing else, this thread has made me aware of the importance of confirming that the car you're driving off the rental lot really does match the description on said invoice.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I had a friend who was a career Hertz manager. He had drunk the Kool-Aid and wore black and gold underwear. Finally, the stolen car thing just got too much. Have obvious thugs come in, know them/they is going to be a problem, but can't refuse to rent to them/they. Weeks later, the cars haven't come back; the lot is getting bare. If he didn't report it, he got dinged by the corporate computer. If he did report it, he ended up with local news vultures shoving cameras/microphones up his nose and demanding to know why he was setting the cops on innocent folks who just forgot what day it was.

jack vines

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@p7wang Did Hertz hurt you? :unsure::unsure:
Or is this a PSA recommending not to rent with Hertz?

ga2500ev
Not that I know of. I might have rented from Hertz many years ago, so I am crossing my fingers.

Just found it amusing that GM was directing us to rent from Hertz.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I tried Turo for the first time last week. In the first hour having the car out, it received a citation for expired tags while parked in San Diego. The owner wouldn't get back to me for the rest of the rental period. Was a bit nervous I'd get pulled over, but if CA is anything like OR, there are no laws that are enforced anymore except perhaps speeding. Speeding is the most important problem, apparently. Once we get everyone to travel at 65 MPH instead of 70, we can focus on the nice-to-have priorities like stopping murder, or theft, or violence.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

We might see Transport Evolved from behind bars in a few months. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
210 Posts
Drive Tesla Canada: Hertz has over 100 Tesla Model 3 rental cars at San Francisco International Airport.

... if the car is reporting 'stolen', does it lock the doors and drive you to the police station, without passing GO?
God, I would hope not. FSD is so bad, that’s a literal death sentence. A bit much for car theft, especially when Hertz has falsely reported it as stolen.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not Hertz

autoevolution: Cops Stop U-Haul Truck With a Car Hanging Out the Back, Make Startling Discovery.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts