Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Someone mentioned the recall line saying the update was rolling out to "2019 Bolt EV's first in the next few days", then 2017-2018 MY in a few weeks. 2019 dropping to ACDelcoTDS first is a sign that's true.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Bah. Just called the Canadian Chevy Concierge line to inquire about a buyback too. Doubt it but hey if I can get a 2021 P for the same as my 2019 LT.....I'm in.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the max range reduced or did they just change the charging profile? I requested a buy-back quote from GM and yesterday they called me to ask some questions including whether I wanted a trade-up or a buy-back. I requested buy-back and they said fine. So I'm guessing the they wouldn't have offered that if there truly was a fix that didn't reduce range?

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,096 Posts
I wonder if the update will be available/mandated for non-recalled Bolts like my '19.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I wonder if the update will be available/mandated for non-recalled Bolts like my '19.
It would be in their best interest since it also includes Diagnostic Software.

Reactions: p7wang and cwerdna

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It's not clear to me whether this "fix" is just a fancy smoke alarm or if these "cell diagnostics" can actively prevent fires by shutting down before a fire can develop.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
864 Posts
I checked the VIN for my 2017 Bolt and it seems to have the same update available as well.
Are you sure about that? I've collected a few Bolt EV VINs off the internet and none of the 2017 and 2018 ones have the relevant updates available.

The "Update to improve the safety of DC Fast Charging (DCFC) and performance of HVAC diagnostics - Bulletin N202311730, N192290680 and 20-NA-053" is the interim fix. The one that includes "Enhanced diagnostics for battery cells for field action N202311731 and N202323690" is the apparent final fix.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Are you sure about that? I've collected a few Bolt EV VINs off the internet and none of the 2017 and 2018 ones have the relevant updates available.

The "Update to improve the safety of DC Fast Charging (DCFC) and performance of HVAC diagnostics - Bulletin N202311730, N192290680 and 20-NA-053" is the interim fix. The one that includes "Enhanced diagnostics for battery cells for field action N202311731 and N202323690" is the apparent final fix.
Ah, then I guess not. Mine says:
Update to improve the safety of DC Fast Charging (DCFC) and performance of HVAC diagnostics - Bulletin N202311730, N192290680 and 20-NA-053

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not clear to me whether this "fix" is just a fancy smoke alarm or if these "cell diagnostics" can actively prevent fires by shutting down before a fire can develop.

Mike
I don't buy it. A cell defect, unless due to voltage drop, would barely indicate as such via internal resistance measurement. I think this will be like Hyundai. Software until another fire.

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is no "lemon law" in Canada. Good luck.
True but according to the manager I talked to on the phone there is a lesser known way that works almost the same way.

Will let you know when I get a callback in 72 hours….or so they claim.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
My Apr 2019 Bolt is still showing no recall.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 2019 is listed. As someone whose Bolt's capacity mysteriously dropped from nearly 190 Ah in December to 166.8 Ah at the end of March, I'm interested. Since that low, the capacity has increased to 170.66 as of yesterday. All these numbers courtesy of TorquePro and Telek's pids that decode 2019 capacity. That obviously can't be normal degradation. We'll see how much it recovers as the weather warms but I'm a little concerned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2019 is listed. As someone whose Bolt's capacity mysteriously dropped from nearly 190 Ah in December to 166.8 Ah at the end of March, I'm interested. Since that low, the capacity has increased to 170.66 as of yesterday. All these numbers courtesy of TorquePro and Telek's pids that decode 2019 capacity. That obviously can't be normal degradation. We'll see how much it recovers as the weather warms but I'm a little concerned.
You have NO degradation. It's called winter.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yeah it is possible that a cell is going crazy or something. Mine is doing that as well. Mention it when we bring our cars in.

You cannot say that. There could be a bad cell or other issues that have happened. Since I HIGHLY doubt that you are a certified EV Tech that has personally looked at Pods car I suggest that you keep unfounded comments like that to yourself.

Winter is long over and it is been around 15-20c and even my battery has bounced back to normal expect for a 7% drop that refuses to come back. That could be a bad cell and even a certain degree of degradation as well. My Bolt has over 20,000km on it so it could be anything.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice. That was my thought at first but I've discussed this in the odb2 thread and I'm not the only one that thinks a 20 Ah drop in capacity is strange. I understand winter efficiency drops significantly but I'm talking capacity. It's been warm here for weeks and I've made a few road trips but the capacity number has hardly budged. In December it looked like I had a 62 kWh battery. Now it reads around 55.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts