Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that iPhone 8 & X will soon be here along with IOS 11 it seemed like a good time to discuss what works well and what needs to be better or is missing that should be there. For me, the number one thing I want is to not have to connect it to a USB cable, I keep forgetting it in the car and having to go back and get it to avoid having my window smashed so someone can steal my iPhone. Number two is the lack of other navigation apps such as Waze or Google Maps. Finally wireless charging would be great so long as it works.

It would be nice to have access to other applications too. Then I could ask Siri what my bank balance was and place an Amazon order, etc.

Welcome your ideas.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Given that iPhone 8 & X will soon be here along with IOS 11 it seemed like a good time to discuss what works well and what needs to be better or is missing that should be there. For me, the number one thing I want is to not have to connect it to a USB cable, I keep forgetting it in the car and having to go back and get it to avoid having my window smashed so someone can steal my iPhone. Number two is the lack of other navigation apps such as Waze or Google Maps. Finally wireless charging would be great so long as it works.

It would be nice to have access to other applications too. Then I could ask Siri what my bank balance was and place an Amazon order, etc.

Welcome your ideas.
While I agree that there needs to be more apps in Carplay, this isn't a GM or Bolt issue. Apple is the one who controls what apps that are allowed in Carplay. So we can certainly talk about what we would like to see change, it really doesn't relate to the Bolt.

The only feature that GM can have impact on would be the wireless connectivity. Carplay will work over bluetooth but the car interface has to be setup to allow it and for some reason GM choose not to.

Far as forgetting a usb cord, I just leave a little 4" cord plugged in at all times so I can't ever forget. Being only 4" long it stays out of the way all on its own.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You misunderstood me, I don't forget the cord as I too have a short 6" cord, it is the phone I forget and leave in the car. I am tempted to take an iPhone 6 I have laying around and activate it to just leave it plugged in to the Bolt for navigation. Wireless connection would solve the problem better as I could leave my phone in my pocket and have my navigation & phone calls when I drive the car and my wife have her nav and phone connection when she drives the car.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You misunderstood me, I don't forget the cord as I too have a short 6" cord, it is the phone I forget and leave in the car. I am tempted to take an iPhone 6 I have laying around and activate it to just leave it plugged in to the Bolt for navigation. Wireless connection would solve the problem better as I could leave my phone in my pocket and have my navigation & phone calls when I drive the car and my wife have her nav and phone connection when she drives the car.
Ah, thought you meant the cord. I've always taken my phone out of my pockets in my car so I already have the habit of remembering to take it with me, I can certainly understand though if you are in the habit of doing that.

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I also didn't mention it as an option because the last thing I want is to say hey you can make it work if you jailbreak your phone and they brick their phone. Even if I said, you could brick your phone doing this, their natural response would still be **** why did he tell me about that.

Also, jailbroken phones are open to a whole bunch of security issues and vulnerabilities.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just got our Bolt last night and used Apple Maps to get home. At one point I wanted to scroll the screen around as I was driving to see an upcoming interchange but apparently you can't. Anyone know how to scroll the screen around while you have a route underway?

I'd also like the option of being able to use Safari when parked. I have unlimited data on my phone so that's not an issue. Same for YouTube etc etc.

I do like having iMessages etc read to you - neat feature while driving.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You have to jailbreak your phone to get that to work. I don't do that just because you can't get any iOS updates after that, well not without "unjailbreaking" the phone and doing the update and then jailbreaking it again. Way to much hassle for me.

Thank you . I won't be doing it either then ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've never used CarPlay before I got my Bolt, and it's pretty dang cool. I would like if the clock was at the top of the infotainment screen instead of the left side (I can't see it when driving -- I never realized how frequently I looked at the clock in my car until I started using the maps on CarPlay). Also would be super amazing to be able to use Waze as the navigation system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The navigation maps and use in IOS 11.x is really a big improvement. It even tells you which lanes to be in prior to reaching an exit and almost everything about it is significantly better. My gripes are as follows (and this is using the new iPhone X): 1. Apple supports wireless CarPlay, we need GM to give us a software upgrade, 2. Let us use normal Apple gestures on the touch screen to zoom in or out and scroll around the screen (currently have to touch the screen to bring up the +- screen buttons to zoom in or out, and the 4 direction arrows to move around the screen) these are awkward and slow. Driving here in the Los Angeles area, I frequently want to zoom out to look ahead at traffic to make a decision on the best route. It is far too awkward to do as currently designed. 3.) Give us a more readable location for time and also display the outside temperature. When CarPlay is running the time is displayed where it is difficult to see and there is no display of the outside temp. There is room in the driver cluster for both of these pieces of information and maybe that is where it should be displayed.

Three easy things for GM to fix and it would make the car much nicer to use and safer too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just got our Bolt last night and used Apple Maps to get home. At one point I wanted to scroll the screen around as I was driving to see an upcoming interchange but apparently you can't. Anyone know how to scroll the screen around while you have a route underway?
I believe you touch the screen and four carats will appear and use each one to scroll the map in the appropriate direction.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't have a recent iPhone, but I am shocked that it isn't possible to use Siri to control the navigation/map app on the iPhone. Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have a recent iPhone, but I am shocked that it isn't possible to use Siri to control the navigation/map app on the iPhone. Has anyone tried that?
Why would you be shocked about something that you don't have and hence don't know if you are even correct in your assumption that you are being shocked about?

How about just politely asking the question?

I use Siri to set the navigation destination in my Bolt EV all the time!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently acquired the iPhone X and I am running IOS 11.2 Beta 3. It works much better than my prior iPhone 7 Plus in several aspects. First, I have not had a single crash of the iPhone with the X whereas the 7 Plus would occasionally crash and need to do a restart after connecting it into the car. I was never able to figure out whether I had to connect it before I started the car or after to prevent a crash. Not one crash so far with the X. With both phones, I do see on occasion the map seems to have frozen and the indicator of me vehicle position is no longer showing. Usually touch the screen and then touching the little arrow indicator toward the top left causes it to find the vehicle and start the map moving again. This is in frequent but does happen. Siri works very well to verbally enter a destination and start navigation. I am surprised at how good it is in dealing with the numeric portion of an address no matter how it is stated. 12456 Any Street can be said verbally as "1-2-4-5-6" or as "twelve-four-fifty-six" or probably (never tried this) as "twelve thousand four hundred and fifty six." I really like the way it directs you into the proper lane to make any transition easier and with enough notice to allow you to perform the action without a panic attack. The 3-D rendering is nice to help you identify buildings though not as pretty or as 3_D as it could be.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Why would you be shocked about something that you don't have and hence don't know if you are even correct in your assumption that you are being shocked about?

How about just politely asking the question?

I use Siri to set the navigation destination in my Bolt EV all the time!
1) I *did* say it politely.

2) I *do* have an iPhone (and many other Apple products) - just not a recent ("new") iPhone

3) Based on the quality and thought put into their products, that I have been using for over 25 years, yes : I would be "shocked" if Siri couldn't control the map app. (which, apparently, it can - at least to a certain degree).

So, has anyone tried (for example) "Siri, zoom out map" or "Siri, move map display east" (or other logical command to control the map)?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Apple's maps are adequate, but I went out and bought an Android phone just so that I can use Google maps in the Bolt. With Google maps I can pinch and zoom or pan as needed, too, right on the Bolt screen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wish that the temperature was displayed somewhere while CarPlay was running. I have to go back to the home screen to get that piece of information.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts