Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
For me it was an obvious decision to use a small body made in the U.S. because the Spark, made in South Korea, is too small, and GM Korea has labor problems which has initiated product manufacturing back to North America (because Canada and Mexico has GM plants that can take up the producton). The Bolt could be based on the Orlando, which is built in Canada.

·
Registered
639 Posts
There's a good chance that it also rides on the same platform as the sonic, no reason why this won't be the case.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well I think that what they have done looks better than a Sonic would. I also think that even if they made a Sonic EV, it wouldn't get nearly as much attention because the design wouldn't be new and exciting. People want electric cars for practical reasons but i also think that people like to feel as though their car has really modern and almost futuristic design.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think that what they have done looks better than a Sonic would. I also think that even if they made a Sonic EV, it wouldn't get nearly as much attention because the design wouldn't be new and exciting. People want electric cars for practical reasons but i also think that people like to feel as though their car has really modern and almost futuristic design.
Teslas are relatively boring in terms of styling. The Leaf is unassuming.

Why is it that people think that an electric car (or motorcycle mind you) has to be vastly different in apperance then a regular car? Is it an ego thing, like how else will people know I'm driving an EV if its not funky and plastered with badges?

I'll tell you what give EV's conventional styling and it will outsell some over styled for the sake of style mess...

The electric car isn't about re inventing the car, its about reinventing propulsion. Cars as they are sell... keep as much the same as what works and thats the route to success... t

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that you can have both when it comes to EV design. An EV can look like a modern and technologically advanced car while also being rather conventional. Its all a spectrum.

By your argument wouldn't the Tesla be more popular then because it has more conventional styling than the Bolt.

·
Registered
639 Posts
of course it does
there's no way they can just shove an electric powertrain, jack the price up to $30k and call it a day.
It has look and be along the lines of what an EV in this industry is like

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that you can have both when it comes to EV design. An EV can look like a modern and technologically advanced car while also being rather conventional. Its all a spectrum.

By your argument wouldn't the Tesla be more popular then because it has more conventional styling than the Bolt.
Are we comparing the Tesla that doesn't exist to a Concept car GM is on record saying is unfinished?

Brilliant...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Turns out LG isn't just helping with the battery but with the entire drivetrain and the interior displays. No wonder their investment into the Bolt was around $250 Million.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's smart of them since all of that can come into play as one whole eco-system to operate from, which when proposed correctly can show the soundness of the idea. Looks like it might be a good time to invest in LG :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts