Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though GM really listened to the EV community and the general public and built a car that addresses most of the concerns people have about EVs. They produced it on time and on budget. All the reviews are glowing with thumbs up. It's winning all kinds of awards. It's getting a lot of press, pretty much all of it positive. In short, they seem to have knocked it out of the park.

So where is the buzz about the Bolt?

I'm not feeling it at all. Both the general public and the EV community seem to have either a I'll wait and see attitude, or just "Thanks, but no thanks." It seems many in the EV community are finding just about any excuse they can to not buy it. Is it because a true EV aficionado has to wait for the Tesla? Why is the great news not so great to so many?

I can't figure it out, but the car works for me. I'm going to get one before the tax credits are gone and I will be driving it most of next year unlike the Model 3 fanatics. I'll also get mine before GM cancels it and goes back to just compliance cars for California. I hope this is not the case and people finally get onboard, but either way, I'll have mine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Watch 'em fly out of the showrooms!

I am of the opinion that the Bolts will (quietly) fly out of Chevy's showroom floors. Once people start doing the math on fuel cost savings, learn that charging an EV is about the same experience as charging their cell phones, and the utter supremacy EV's hold over ICE's in terms of the driving and passenger experience, EV's that delivery 200-250 miles per charge will change the current perception that EV's are a niche market or only for the rich.

It seems as though GM really listened to the EV community and the general public and built a car that addresses most of the concerns people have about EVs. They produced it on time and on budget. All the reviews are glowing with thumbs up. It's winning all kinds of awards. It's getting a lot of press, pretty much all of it positive. In short, they seem to have knocked it out of the park.

So where is the buzz about the Bolt?

I'm not feeling it at all. Both the general public and the EV community seem to have either a I'll wait and see attitude, or just "Thanks, but no thanks." It seems many in the EV community are finding just about any excuse they can to not buy it. Is it because a true EV aficionado has to wait for the Tesla? Why is the great news not so great to so many?

I can't figure it out, but the car works for me. I'm going to get one before the tax credits are gone and I will be driving it most of next year unlike the Model 3 fanatics. I'll also get mine before GM cancels it and goes back to just compliance cars for California. I hope this is not the case and people finally get onboard, but either way, I'll have mine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am of the opinion that the Bolts will (quietly) fly out of Chevy's showroom floors. Once people start doing the math on fuel cost savings, learn that charging an EV is about the same experience as charging their cell phones, and the utter supremacy EV's hold over ICE's in terms of the driving and passenger experience, EV's that delivery 200-250 miles per charge will change the current perception that EV's are a niche market or only for the rich.
hence why i'm also about following things happen on social media since who else will report about these as they come? Oh, right, other people like us. Dealers are only in it as long as it relates to selling and that's completely understandable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A lot of experienced EV people are hopeful about the Bolt, but want to wait and see that the build quality and reliability are more 'Gen 1 Bolt' and less 'typical GM first production year.' People like me are also waiting to see how affordable the leases are, with GM not applying the full tax credit to the down payment. (Ironically, it looks like $5k of the credit will be used to make the lease cheaper, but buying the car when it ends not feasible because of an inflated residual.) If the front seats aren't rock hard and I can afford to lease at least an LT (even though I need the Surround View only found on the over-pricedPremiere), that's what I'll do, but I won't be singing the car's praises until I've actually driven one.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of experienced EV people are hopeful about the Bolt, but want to wait and see that the build quality and reliability are more 'Gen 1 Bolt' and less 'typical GM first production year.' People like me are also waiting to see how affordable the leases are, with GM not applying the full tax credit to the down payment. (Ironically, it looks like $5k of the credit will be used to make the lease cheaper, but buying the car when it ends not feasible because of an inflated residual.) If the front seats aren't rock hard and I can afford to lease at least an LT (even though I need the Surround View only found on the over-pricedPremiere), that's what I'll do, but I won't be singing the car's praises until I've actually driven one.
This car doesn't stand that great of a chance if the EV community is skeptical. The general public is already skeptical of EVs altogether, that's why they aren't buying them. If the EV community, that some might believe are experts on the subject, view the first BEV to hit the market that actually is what the EV community has been asking for with skepticism, then it is going to be a very tough sell for GM.

At present, there is no EV revolution in progress. There is a slow larva incubation period for the eventual EV that will set off the revolution, but the incubation isn't over yet. I was one of those that thought a car like this would set things in motion, but now I'm not so sure. It may be EV ver. 2.0, but it's still "not the one". My suspicion is now that if there is to be a messiah EV, it will have to come from Tesla, or perhaps some other unknown start up. The traditional car companies can't do it.

In the mean time, I'll take this one. The Bolt works for me and I'm not going to wait for Elon's latest grand achievement. The Model 3 doesn't work for me for several reasons, but that's another thread. I personally think GM is doing an awesome job of getting EVs to the masses. IMO, the Volt blows the Prius away. The Spark delivers competitively. The problem is, the masses still aren't buying it, but I am.:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not a Tesla fanatic, if that's what you're implying. I'm just saying that those of us with longer EV experience have learned to take PR claims and even initial reviews by journalists (especially Web "journalists") with a grain of salt. I also don't believe that an enthusiastic reception by the EV community is what GM needs most. They need to advertise the car more than Nissan does the Leaf, and they need to make it widely available for test drives. They also need to offer favorable lease and purchase terms, so that lots of people start driving a Bolt. At that point, if the car proves reliable and user-friendly, GM will have a hit regardless of what we EV types think...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right now EVs are still only really bought by people who know/love/need EVs, no matter how good they are. In specific areas where they cluster they're spreading pretty well. It's a sort of halo effect, where those who are around more and more EVs start realizing, "hey, this could be a great idea for me too." So they become much more likely to get one, become more educated about them, and if they buy in they become an EV enthusiast just like we are. These clusters of excited-about-EV folks keep growing, albeit slowly... but just like the range of the cars, they don't tend to spread outside of those specific areas. The rest of America really doesn't care, especially where there isn't much charging infrastructure, trips are longer, weather is worse and gas is cheap.

Tesla is too expensive (Roadster/S/X models) to really matter to the 'everyone' market. That'll change when the 3 is out, but, well, it's not out yet.

Therefore the Bolt is really the very first EV to crack the high-mileage barrier at an affordable price. While it won't release to thunderous public approval or really get all that much notice from the average 'car guy', after it's proven its worth to the already-want-an-EV crowd over the next half year I predict that it'll follow the same cluster-halo kind of pattern -- only it should spread faster, and over a slightly wider area than any EV before it.

So to more directly answer your question: there won't be any grand hype or buzz, alas. But, as long as GM doesn't botch it (with reliability or delivery problems), the Bolt should really help curve the EV adoption graph upwards more than any EV before it. By the time the Tesla 3 hits the market, the Bolt-generated upswing + the Tesla Marketing Magic might finally make the 'everyman EV' start being real. I really hope both companies knock it out of the park, even if mainstream car culture will never properly appreciate them.

Assuming all goes well with T3 and the Bolt, then whatever generation of affordable EV that comes _after_ them is when you'll see decently large hype and real amounts of buzz finally happen.

·
Registered
862 Posts
People are assuming a bit too much about the lack of "buzz".

GM will indeed be promoting the Bolt in various ways - but not until there is availability. I have some info I cannot post yet, but will do so as soon as it is "official".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those of you who cited general quality concerns, the Volt has really excelled in that area. There were very few problems, even with the first model year. GM knew it had a lot riding on that car, as it does with the Bolt, due to all the press it has received. It will be one of GM's most reliable models.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Those of you who cited general quality concerns, the Volt has really excelled in that area. There were very few problems, even with the first model year. GM knew it had a lot riding on that car, as it does with the Bolt, due to all the press it has received. It will be one of GM's most reliable models.
It just sucks that the Volt wasn't that great of a successor to the last one. Try fitting 5 people in the back and its a very tight squeeze, something you only do if desperate. Overall it looks like they built it this time around for young professionals.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
It just sucks that the Volt wasn't that great of a successor to the last one. Try fitting 5 people in the back and its a very tight squeeze, something you only do if desperate. Overall it looks like they built it this time around for young professionals.
The Volt is a compact sedan. Name me 1 compact sedan on the market that can comfortably fit 5 adults in it.

The 5th seat is pretty much just to squeeze a 5th person in for a short trip somewhere. Better to have that option of cramming someone in the 5th seat than not have that option at all (see Prius Prime). The Gen 2 Volt pretty much improved on Gen 1 in every way. I look at it as what GM REALLY envisioned with the Gen 1 Volt, just tech wasn't quite there yet when Gen 1 was being developed.

The Bolt is a whole new, gas-free world though. Very excited!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not a Tesla fanatic, if that's what you're implying. I'm just saying that those of us with longer EV experience have learned to take PR claims and even initial reviews by journalists (especially Web "journalists") with a grain of salt. I also don't believe that an enthusiastic reception by the EV community is what GM needs most. They need to advertise the car more than Nissan does the Leaf, and they need to make it widely available for test drives. They also need to offer favorable lease and purchase terms, so that lots of people start driving a Bolt. At that point, if the car proves reliable and user-friendly, GM will have a hit regardless of what we EV types think...
Advertising is very, very expensive. I understand why GM might be reserved about spending too much promoting the Bolt. It cost the same to advertise the Bolt as it does the Cruze. Last I saw, plug in sales accounted for less than 1% of total US sales. Tough to justify spending millions on a car that will sell so few.

Tesla doesn't advertise at all per say. Elon kind of uses Trump's strategy for free advertising. He goes on about some utopian scheme in the press, like the hyper loop train, or Mars colonies and the media can't help but also report that he makes the fantastic electric cars and solar panels. GM needs to work on this kind of angle too. How to manipulate the media into free advertising about your new product by making news worthy headlines.

I don't think traditional advertising will do a **** thing to sell Bolts. The general public still sees the plug in EV as impractical, too expensive and even elitist. Then there are those that rail against the "Prius Tax". It's still a tough sell and flashy billboards, TV spots, magazine ads and product placement by GM isn't going to do much IMO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The EV community is very negative, and generally fueled on conspiracy theories. I think many of them would rather choke on a chicken bone, than say GM built a good car.

The automotive press has been extremely positive, which is great publicity for the Bolt. When they get out in the field in the hands of regular people, hopefully, there will be some good word of mouth, too. Another forum member said he saw a big print ad, and a radio ad.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, it's pretty hard to make one vehicle, make it ideal and work for everyone. You seem to need that 5th seat, but I don't think I have had four extra people in one of my cars in years and years. I can't even remember when. For me, two seats is plenty. I personally think GM has hit about the best sweet spot there can be to try to please as many people as possible.

Even Tesla who comes out with the Model S and has plenty of room for five, has people complaining that it' too big for some. So they promise the Model 3, it gets 400,000+ deposits and guess what? It's about the same form factor as the Volt. If you haven't yet, you need to check out the Bolt in person. I think there is actually more room in the back seat than there is in the Volt. It suffers in range and drag coefficient just so there can be more interior space. I think GM is listening.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The EV community is very negative, and generally fueled on conspiracy theories. I think many of them would rather choke on a chicken bone, than say GM built a good car.

The automotive press has been extremely positive, which is great publicity for the Bolt. When they get out in the field in the hands of regular people, hopefully, there will be some good word of mouth, too. Another forum member said he saw a big print ad, and a radio ad.
I hope to be one of those people spreading the word. GM has sullied themselves so much in the past (and I'm not talking about the EV-1 here) that their brand is a huge obstacle to many. They have made some very unreliable cars and they have been slow to change their ways. However, I remain optimistic.

My last new car I bought in 2005 and it is a Pontiac. I'm still driving it. It has not been perfect. It has not been that imagined Toyota/Honda experience, but it also hasn't been a nightmare, or unreasonable either. I have not heard a load of bitching, or recalls on the Volt, so I use that as a gauge on this car.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It's hard for one model to please everyone, that's why there are so many size variations like SUVs and the smaller crossover versions. Same with the Bolt, it's good enough for 4 people and the 5th can go in the trunk. :D Can't recall the last time I had 5 people in my car, nobody ever wants to sit in the middle anyways.

Once the Bolt deliveries start, maybe Chevy will upload a few more videos on their Youtube Channel. It's a lot cheaper to advertise there.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once the Bolt deliveries start, maybe Chevy will upload a few more videos on their Youtube Channel. It's a lot cheaper to advertise there.
Hopefully, users will be uploading positive videos. That carries a lot more weight than anything from Chevrolet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad you are excited about the Bolt. I am not because I don't live in the right state. The Bolt came with all kinds of promises that Chevy is not consistently backing off on. Bolts on the ground in CA/OR starting Nov 29; didn't happen. Bolts in WA by mid Jan? I guess we shall see but there was a general consensus they would be plentiful and quick to be available here and that is starting to look pretty doubtful so no, not much excitement here because there is nothing to be excited about.

Its just another limited availability compliance car built in compliance car volumes...

·
Registered
21 Posts
People are assuming a bit too much about the lack of "buzz".

GM will indeed be promoting the Bolt in various ways - but not until there is availability. I have some info I cannot post yet, but will do so as soon as it is "official".
and that will happen in non compliance areas in what year?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts