Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I go to plug in the cable, I'm in a dark room looking for that black cat that isn't there. I curse the lack of an LED light on the charge port. It's an electric car, so virtually endless supply of electrical power and then LEDs draw virtually no power. Why do others get it and we don't?

Which makes me wonder, can we list those EVs with illuminated charge ports?

jack vines

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had a LED flashlight in the glovebox, on my keychain, and next to my EVSE in the garage.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I just increase the headlights idle time to 60 seconds so when I exit the vehicle, the splash back lighting from the headlights is on just enough for me to plugin. Or if you're plugging in much later after turning off the Bolt, use your keyfob to momentarily unlock the car so the headlights turn on, then lock the car when you're done plugging in.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Evidently, GM realized the goof and is supposedly making a retrofit kit available. From another thread here:

I asked my dealership's parts department about ordering this part (#84079437). After some checking, they informed me that it will be available on March 26, 2018. I have no idea if their source is reliable...
jack vines

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I put a motion-sensor activated battery LED light on the shelf by the EVSE plug.

Should the LED have come with the Bolt? Of course!
I also have one of these in my stair well for when my hands are full coming home and I can't see anything:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/GE-Motion-Activated-Night-Light-Chrome/dp/B002HEMWZ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515387916&sr=8-4&keywords=motion+sensor+led+light+ge[/ame]

Maybe install one near your Bolt on the wall?

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DWith five years experience with multiple EVs, I bet I could plug my EVSE in, blindfolded. However there are alternatives. One, open the drivers door and turn on your left turn signal. Not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I plug in in my driveway and where it is is virtually dark. I have learned to hold the plug by its front at the top while two fingers extend forward. I feel for the receptacle on the car and guide it in gently as it may not be parallel to the receptacle and forcing it then may break something. Once its in a little bit I use my other hand and gently lift the plug handle and push the plug in. Thats the simple way to start and once good at it you can do it with one hand.

Dont need eyes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wish the car receiver would be a cone shape that is slightly larger than the plug port. So it would slide in. Also why would they make the Volt, 115 Volt plug in standard with a light when you squeeze the trigger and not make the bolt one like that. And secondly we should be bitching at the EVSE makers for not putting a light on the plug in handle. It is permanently hook to power from my house , it would be so easy. But then you would need 4 wires for that. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Actually on the Bolt FB group there are multiple DIY solutions to this. I used a green LED necklace from Home Depot (basically a FIO necklace powered by a few small watch batteries) that I cut to a perfect fit around the inside of the charging port. It glows or pulses the same color green as the dash LED charging light. Many people have installed small LED puck lights inside the charging door.

It's stupid that they didn't install an LED there, but there are lots of simple solutions that you can do on the car to make it easier to charge in the dark.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Why didn't they ? Because they were being cheap and didn't think the car would sell as well as it did I bet.

Why didn't they put a rubber cover for the end of the EVSE ?? My i-MiEV had one and I took it off and put on the Bolt one :)

I too do what ibboltin does, with the finger. But I also have a tiny motion light on one of the rafters of my carport. I think I got it from Amazon for like $2.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Why didn't they ? But I also have a tiny motion light on one of the rafters of my carport. I think I got it from Amazon for like $2.
They didn't put one on because, as a publicly traded company, they are trying to figure out how to make money on EVs. The base Model 3 doesn't have a DIC, or a covered console, or a number of other things which would be nice to have, but are not essential.

i have a light in the garage, and the switch is arm's length from the EVSE, so not a problem. The times this comes in handy are away from home.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a solar powered motion sensor led light in my garage, it has a solar panel about the size of 2 credit cards.

I have the solar panel on the rain gutter on the southern side of my house, I have it about 3 or 4 years now this year I had to replace the batteries 3 AA size NICAD.

It was my fault the first set of batteries died, they came with the kit junk batteries but they worked for a few years.

At first I had the solar panel mounted on the outside door jamb side entrance way of my garage, it was too low only got sun in late afternoon in winter, now they are mounted higher like they should have been.
The light was about 50 at Home Depot I would buy one on line then mount is centrally or near where you need it to be, its only small speaker wire for the wiring.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts