Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1424 Bolts & 983 Volts as we were all expecting this.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
117 Posts
1424 Bolts & 983 Volts as we were all expecting this.
Those numbers will be breadcrumbs compared to Tesla sales in a few months. Maybe if GM improved the interior a little and offered things like adaptive cruise control or some kind of autonomous driving features it would increase sales. I still feel like GM is using the 2017, 2018 and maybe 2019 Bolt models as a "beta" model even though they're not listed as such.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Those numbers will be breadcrumbs compared to Tesla sales in a few months. Maybe if GM improved the interior a little and offered things like adaptive cruise control or some kind of autonomous driving features it would increase sales. I still feel like GM is using the 2017, 2018 and maybe 2019 Bolt models as a "beta" model even though they're not listed as such.
All new car platforms are beta in their firs few year regardless whether its an EV. But yes chevy cruise is built on Autonomous Drive. There is one production line dedicated for the AV cars

https://getcruise.com/

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
By the end of this year we will have a much better idea whether EVs are the future, or just a more costly replacement for hybrids. I really want to drink the Kool-Aid, but I have been disappointed more often than not.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The Bolt February sales number is already only about 60% of the Tesla Model 3 number (1424 vs 2485). As others have posted, GM may simply not be interested in selling more than 25k-30k Bolts per model year. Notably, Bolt February sales are way below the monthly sales numbers in the last few months of 2017. I don’t see any real trend indicating sales growth, as one would expect for a new model with healthy demand and ample supply.

The Buick version of the Bolt will be out as a 2019 model, and I would expect the interior to be much improved, and maybe we’ll even get adaptive cruise control. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for any autonomous driving capability.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Maybe if GM improved the interior a little and offered things like adaptive cruise control or some kind of autonomous driving features it would increase sales.
T25, I am really hoping we see the things you mentioned in 2019. Especially a fix for the front seat issue. It would be silly for GM to ignore all the negative spin on that one. I think some type of adaptive cruise should also be there if they want to keep stride with what Nissan is offering. The 2018 can likely hold its own considering the range difference between the Bolt and Leaf, but that won't be the case in 2019.

Timbolt, I think sales numbers for Feb are usually lower anyway, the Bolt selling almost double what it did in the same month last year. I am hoping we these numbers improve as we head into summer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My understanding is that the 2018 is not yet out.

So these numbers are late production 2017 models.

I think the number would have been higher if all the dealers selling them had inventory.

As an example, my dealer which had the largest inventory of Bolts in the state, has been sold out since last December 15th.

I have not seen the 2018's on the lot yet.

So he has nothing to sell.

Yet in central Florida last week, I saw 6 2017 Bolts still for sale at one dealer.

That one dealer has more Bolts in inventory than the 4th largest city in the country.

Something wrong with that...

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
The Buick version of the Bolt will be out as a 2019 model, and I would expect the interior to be much improved, and maybe we’ll even get adaptive cruise control. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for any autonomous driving capability.
Maybe a Cadillac version with Super Cruise...

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Can't speak for Texas, but they are here in Virginia. Our local Chevy dealer ordered and sold two in 2017. They have two new 2018s on the lot now. One of the big dealers, in Richmond, that treated us like dirt when we went in for a scheduled test drive, a year ago, still has some 2017s left. My heart bleeds for them.

167 Posts
Bolt EV Should Sell --It's Perfect For Commuting

Commuting or just out and about, Bolt EV is PERFECT. Its a stealth Tesla with even lower operational and maintenance costs then a Model S, 3 or X.. Why no ads on TV? What would happen if all the Bolt EV owners all chip in 20 bucks each for a primetime ad campaign?
If I were in the market for a low cost commuter vehicle, it would be a choice between ugly Prius, Volt or Bolt EV. Tesla's are way too pricey. Bolt EV is it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
So these numbers are late production 2017 models.
The unit below was ordered / bought in Nov '17... and is an 18 model.

http://www.leggat.ca/en/for-sale/car/new/chevrolet/bolt_ev

I think that if a sale occurred in February 2018, it would likely also be an '18 build...

+++

Many would agree with me when I say - your post about the 2018 model year not being out yet was...

...incredibly reckless. :|

- ...totally kidding of course ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the number would have been higher if all the dealers selling them had inventory.

As an example, my dealer which had the largest inventory of Bolts in the state, has been sold out since last December 15th.

I have not seen the 2018's on the lot yet.

So he has nothing to sell.

Yet in central Florida last week, I saw 6 2017 Bolts still for sale at one dealer.

That one dealer has more Bolts in inventory than the 4th largest city in the country.

Something wrong with that...
I agree completely that sales could be much much higher if dealers stocked or even offered the Bolt. The "nationwide rollout" was pushed back many months. For example here in Michigan I was told the Bolt would be in showrooms late 2016, then pushed back to Q1 2017, then to "we have no idea, Chevy doesn't communicate with us".

Late 2017 came and just a couple MI dealers had Bolts. One Detroit dealer had to bring the cars in from California. A couple other dealers that listed Bolt's sold them instantly before I could see the car. My dealer blamed Chevy for only allocating them 1 Bolt for all of 2017 (I got it). I don't know if the super low availability of Bolt's in Michigan is by design, or because dealership do not want to show or support the car.

So my question would be:
1) Is Chevy purposefully keeping this a hard to get, low production, compliance car?
or
2) Are the low sales due to extremely poor nationwide dealer support of the Bolt? (the dealers do not want to stock or sell the Bolt)
or
3) Will the Bolt only sell in low numbers until fast DC charging infrastructure exists?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The answer to all three of your questions is "nobody here knows (but that won't stop many from posting as if they did)". :D

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
I agree completely that sales could be much much higher if dealers stocked or even offered the Bolt. The "nationwide rollout" was pushed back many months. For example here in Michigan I was told the Bolt would be in showrooms late 2016, then pushed back to Q1 2017, then to "we have no idea, Chevy doesn't communicate with us".

Late 2017 came and just a couple MI dealers had Bolts. One Detroit dealer had to bring the cars in from California. A couple other dealers that listed Bolt's sold them instantly before I could see the car. My dealer blamed Chevy for only allocating them 1 Bolt for all of 2017 (I got it). I don't know if the super low availability of Bolt's in Michigan is by design, or because dealership do not want to show or support the car.

So my question would be:
1) Is Chevy purposefully keeping this a hard to get, low production, compliance car?
or
2) Are the low sales due to extremely poor nationwide dealer support of the Bolt? (the dealers do not want to stock or sell the Bolt)
or
3) Will the Bolt only sell in low numbers until fast DC charging infrastructure exists?
Availability for dealers is based on that dealership's sales. A small volume dealer simply won't receive large allocations compared to a large volume one.

AFAIK, GM is selling exactly as many Bolts as it wants to sell currently. The fact it has now come out with a commercial version 2 seat version of the Bolt shows it definitely wants to sell more.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
When we bought Bolt #1 in June 2017, the dealer had 2 on the lot (and this is a small volume dealer.) Since neither was the color we wanted, they got ours from another dealer in state. When we went to buy Bolt #2 last month, the small dealer again had 2 on the lot (colors and equipped different than last year). Both were 2017 models. Again, neither was what we wanted so they had to pull a 2017 from a dealer in an adjoining state. WE could have bought a 2018 but I wanted the $2017 in rebates that were being offered on the 2017 models. Most of the dealers around Richmond have Bolts in stock.

We have to remember that the Bolt is not a car that dealers can really push to the general public. You aren't going to convince someone shopping for a Malibu or Cruze to buy a Bolt. Chevy sells Bolts to people looking for an EV and have done their research prior to coming into the dealership. GM is a major ICE brand who happens to produce a very niche market car that cannot be cross promoted like all of their other vehicles. (With the exception of the Volt). This is very different from Tesla. EVs are all they produce. Up until the Model 3, their cars were priced (and designed) for those with the expendable income to afford a luxury vehicle. So they have the cache of a luxury brand that is now trying to get into the mainstream market. That is going to be a magnet for those who value being seen driving a luxury car but can't afford $60k or more. The Bolt is not going to attract those buyers. Chevy knows this and aimed for the mainstream market that just wanted a normal car that happened to be an EV.

I have no regrets buying two Bolts. My wife and I have wanted to break the chains of the oil industry forever but wanted something with more range than a Leaf. Here comes the Bolt. As early adopters, we are very aware of the possibility of steep depreciation and the possibility of Chevy dropping the model. But if we, as interested EV buyers didn't pull the trigger and "put our money where our mouth is", then major car manufacturers like Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc. are going to be wary in developing EVs and the market will be dominated by a single manufacturer. As long as Chevy supports the Bolts for 5 or so years with service and parts, I will be satisfied. The cars running reliably for 5 years is what I am looking for. If there is little resale value afterward, that's the chance I took for being an early adopter. Still no regrets!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Bolt February sales number is already only about 60% of the Tesla Model 3 number (1424 vs 2485). As others have posted, GM may simply not be interested in selling more than 25k-30k Bolts per model year. Notably, Bolt February sales are way below the monthly sales numbers in the last few months of 2017. I don’t see any real trend indicating sales growth, as one would expect for a new model with healthy demand and ample supply.

Typically one uses year over year sales and not month over month sales. This tends to eliminate variations based on seasonal variations. For example one would expect sales in the latter months of a year to increase as people want to take advantage of the rebates. Buying at the end of the year means the rebate will be returned much sooner than buying at the beginning of the year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.