Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front seats are really awful.

My wife and I test drove the car last week for roughly 5 minutes and loved it. We came home in a leased LT.
The next day, 10 minutes into her first drive, my wife said "wow these seats are really uncomfortable" and 15 minutes in she was in pain. Both of us are not big ( 34 inch waists). There is a plastic railing underneath the seat just jams into your hip and makes driving anywhere more than 5 minutes, not a pleasurable experience. It doesn't hurt me so much , as long as i concentrate to sit in the middle of the seat, but comfortable it is certainly not. and why should have to concentrate to sit in the middle of the seat on a 40K car? Sucks because we love everything else about the car.

Now what do i do.... wonder if i can get out of the lease after 24 hours.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Could there have been “variation” in quality at the seat supplier ? Something that wouldn’t have been checked at the assembly plant.

Doesn’t cost anything to make noise with the dealer & the GM regional rep & the customer care center. Who knows but you may be offered a Bolt replacement seat.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
The other option is to have your seats modified by a custom upholstery shop. I believe that Boltar here was doing that. I don't know what his progress on that is at the moment.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The front seats are really awful.
You guys are making me feel very abnormal. I find the Bolt to be the most comfortable of any car I've owned (1968 American Motors Ambassador, 1976 Honda Civic wagon, 1982 Honda Civic 4 door sedan, 1995 Infiniti G20, 1997 Honda EVPlus (leased), 2011 Nissan Leaf, 2017 Chevrolet Bolt).

The seats are high enough and go back far enough that my legs actually rest on the seat rather than being suspended an inch or two above the seat. There is still an inch or so of clearance between the top of my head and the roof. I can't get over how comfortable this is for me.

Every time I read one of these posts about the seats I go down and sit in the car to see if I'm imagining things. The longest I've driven the car is about an hour and a half and I was just as comfortable when I got home as when I left.

Now that I know car seats can actually be comfortable, I will make sure to consider that the next time I buy a car.

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
You guys are making me feel very abnormal. I find the Bolt to be the most comfortable of any car I've owned (1968 American Motors Ambassador, 1976 Honda Civic wagon, 1982 Honda Civic 4 door sedan, 1995 Infiniti G20, 1997 Honda EVPlus (leased), 2011 Nissan Leaf, 2017 Chevrolet Bolt).

The seats are high enough and go back far enough that my legs actually rest on the seat rather than being suspended an inch or two above the seat. There is still an inch or so of clearance between the top of my head and the roof. I can't get over how comfortable this is for me.

Every time I read one of these posts about the seats I go down and sit in the car to see if I'm imagining things. The longest I've driven the car is about an hour and a half and I was just as comfortable when I got home as when I left.

Now that I know car seats can actually be comfortable, I will make sure to consider that the next time I buy a car.
No, you're not abnormal. You're just part part of the subset that has no issue. I'm in that set too.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sounds like the wondergel seat can be an easy fix for the set problem. Stinks that you'll have to dish out around $50 to make the seat comfortable, but it's better than taking a depreciation hit if you try to return the Bolt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless you have a bench seat in your other cars, I don't know of a car that you don't have to sit in the middle of the seat.

It's not uncommon for people to mod their seats for comfort. Just about any upholstery shop can do this. That would be my choice if you otherwise like the car. You might also try the seats in another Bolt to confirm your seats aren't defective.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The seats aren't defective, they're a defective design. Don't let any apologists here tell you otherwise. A few skinny smaller people around here fit acceptably well. It would have taken about 6 extra ounces of foam to make them fit a much larger % of the typical American public the car is aimed at, but they failed to do that. Instead they filled the cargo floor with massive amounts of foam.

The least expensive way for this guy to solve the problem is to get out of the lease, pronto! Return within the return window. I like that because it also sends a needed statement back to GM!

For the cost of a few extra ounces of high density car upholstery foam, I was able to get the seats where they should have been, period. They're acceptable now. However, the very experienced car upholstery guy said that he wouldn't do any more of these, because they're a big PITA to do. The seats were obviously designed, as perhaps expected, to be cheaply constructed as well as light. Engineered to be pressed together during construction, difficult to take apart and put back together. I think ultimately aftermarket i.e., Recaro type seats will be the best option for those who don't appreciate sitting on a hard plastic frame or have minimally padded side bolsters sticking into your ribs.

That these seats should have never made it out of committee makes me wonder about decisions on other aspects of the car, though overall I do enjoy it very much! GM clearly didn't utilize the typical customer focus groups to give feedback on this car, and so it's only right that they get feedback from the guinea pigs paying for this first gen project.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cut the seats out with a high powered arc welder the Seal teams use to cut open ship doors, get some Recarro seats from Europe and arc weld them in place. Just remove the entire Battery sub assembly and electric components before you start....

Sounds like a project....

Oh, your lease will have a legal situation, so be prepared to own it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The seats aren't defective, they're a defective design. Don't let any apologists here tell you otherwise. A few skinny smaller people around here fit acceptably well. It would have taken about 6 extra ounces of foam to make them fit a much larger % of the typical American public the car is aimed at, but they failed to do that. Instead they filled the cargo floor with massive amounts of foam.

The least expensive way for this guy to solve the problem is to get out of the lease, pronto! Return within the return window. I like that because it also sends a needed statement back to GM!

For the cost of a few extra ounces of high density car upholstery foam, I was able to get the seats where they should have been, period. They're acceptable now. However, the very experienced car upholstery guy said that he wouldn't do any more of these, because they're a big PITA to do. The seats were obviously designed, as perhaps expected, to be cheaply constructed as well as light. Engineered to be pressed together during construction, difficult to take apart and put back together. I think ultimately aftermarket i.e., Recaro type seats will be the best option for those who don't appreciate sitting on a hard plastic frame or have minimally padded side bolsters sticking into your ribs.

That these seats should have never made it out of committee makes me wonder about decisions on other aspects of the car, though overall I do enjoy it very much! GM clearly didn't utilize the typical customer focus groups to give feedback on this car, and so it's only right that they get feedback from the guinea pigs paying for this first gen project.
Could you give details of what the upholster did and the cost. This is the only reason that I declined to buy the Bolt. It would be very useful to get the facts before I reconsider this car again.
This issue is a real problem and it is very important for people to realize that a five minute test drive may not reveal it. We took four test drives of about twenty minutes each before we concluded that we could not live with this defect.
If other people have solved this issue It would be useful to know how.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I must have trained my backside for discomfort by owning an Audi the last 6 years.

I actually find the Bolt seats pretty comfy and I'm driving 140 miles every day in mine.

I am 6ft4 and 233Lbs, ex Rugby player and my usual weight then was 270 lbs so I have slimmed down a bit.

I note that beaded car seat covers are pretty awesome for big folks doing long distances and really, you are limited to a realistic 220 miles range before getting out and having it charged again...anyways.

There does seem to be a comfort difference between the LT and Premier models seats though.

Here is an interesting blog on the Bolt EV...

http://sequrux.com/sequrux/Blog/Entries/2017/1/19_Electric_Dreams_in_Summit_White.html

·
Registered
730 Posts
This guy bought multiple seat cushions off of Amazon and tested them in the Bolt EV at an Auto Show.
While it is disappointing that the seats in a brand new car are uncomfortable, it's a relatively cheap fix:

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5675&start=140

Now that's a solution I was always advocating but with a seat cover over the cushions just so in the end it doesn't look as obvious and hopefully OEM. Ultimately having the cushions with an OEM looking cover = win.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Check your lease and an attorney - Quickly! You may have three-day rights of rescission under federal law.
What Federal Law would that be?

They signed a contract and took possession of the car. It has been registered and Titled (or in process) to the lease company and is now a used vehicle with the associated lower value. Buyers remorse - for whatever reason - does not give you the right to return something.

Some people have somehow gotten the idea that every purchase can be undone for 3 days, and that is far from the truth.
The FTC’s Cooling-Off Rule gives you a 3-day right to cancel a sale made at your home, workplace or dormitory, or at a seller’s temporary location, like a hotel or motel room, convention center, fairground or restaurant. It also applies when you invite a salesperson to make a presentation in your home. But not all sales are covered.

Exceptions to the Rule
Certain types of sales can’t be canceled, even if they take place in places normally covered by the Rule. The Cooling-Off Rule does not cover sales that are:

under $25 for sales made at your home;
under $130 for sales made at temporary locations;
for goods or services not primarily intended for personal, family or household purposes. (The Rule applies to courses of instruction or training.);
made entirely online, or by mail or telephone;
the result of prior negotiations at the seller's permanent place of business where the goods are sold regularly;
needed to meet an emergency;
made as part of your request for the seller to do repairs or maintenance on your personal property (purchases made beyond the maintenance or repair request are covered).

Also exempt from the Cooling-Off Rule are sales that involve:

real estate, insurance, or securities;
automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles sold at temporary locations if the seller has at least one permanent place of business;
arts or crafts sold at fairs or places like shopping malls, civic centers, and schools.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0176-buyers-remorse-when-ftcs-cooling-rule-may-help

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I looks like the leather seats compress a lot more on the sides than the cloth seats and that's why it's not as comfortable.

Guess it's better to just go cloth and you have to position yourself right in the middle.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm not really in the car long enough to notice and be really affected by this discomfort. But for those that are experiencing severe discomfort to the point where you want to "return" the car... didn't you test drive it or have some proper seat time somewhere at some point? Just a question, no need for flame suits lol.

1 - 20 of 415 Posts
About this Discussion
414 Replies
137 Participants
JohnnyEV
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing