Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

201 - 220 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Trim was removed.. I can put it back but for now I'm ok without. But if I change my mind, only cut it to reduce the height. Going out the car it's more easyer than before, easy to "slide" out.
Thanks.

I'm watching the situation, but since I'm in no rush, I think I will wait for the 2018s and hope the seat is redesigned by then.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will wait for the 2018s and hope the seat is redesigned by then.
My opinion, the seat will not change nor 2018 or never... Only few people complaining about the seats. Tesla 3 will come this year so Bolt EV will be forgotten by then...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I own and drive both the bolt and I3, and as for me, there is no comparison, and which is the superior car.
Bolt wins #1 , distance, comfort, looks, stability in the wind, charge anxiety and more. I3 has better navigation (lol).

I finally had the chance to sit in a Bolt yesterday. A forum member who lives in Phoenix let me sit in his. We took a short drive and I liked the vehicle, except for the seats. When I got back in my truck I found that the pressure from the right side of the Bolt seat had really aggravated my sciatica to the point of some numbness in my leg. So a Bolt is out for me. In an apple to oranges comparison I stopped at the BMW dealer and sat in an i3. Now those were some comfortable seats!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I understand, from my local Chevy dealer, that there haven't been enough concerns expressed to GM regarding the seats for them to take any action. I did submit a complaint to GM and received a generic response indicating that input is appreciated and that it is not currently known what changes if any are being considered for 2018.
I will also plan to purchase a different vehicle and let GM know that they lost another sale due to the poor seat comfort.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone considered installing the old fashioned "Sheepkin" seat covers to take away the "harshness" of the seats? Could help with comfort, warmth (cold weather climates), and keep your leather/cloth seats clean?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Has anyone considered installing the old fashioned "Sheepkin" seat covers to take away the "harshness" of the seats? Could help with comfort, warmth (cold weather climates), and keep your leather/cloth seats clean?
No. Not likely to help much. Here is what some are up against-

Those "wings" sticking up are made of steel. Some are addressing the issue by sticking more foam under the seat cover. This has the same effect as sitting on a pillow, but without having a lame pillow loose in the car. In this case, the person who posted this had his upholstery shop cut the wings down and welded caps over them to smooth the profile. Obviously more money than just adding foam.

I firmly believe that those wings are there to help keep you planted in your seat in the event of a side impact. I believe GM did this to get high crash ratings in the press. My hope is, that soon the rating will be released, the accolades will be sung far and wide that the Bolt is the safest car ever tested, GM will get to thumb their nose at Tesla and then... quietly go about the business of making these seats more comfortable.

I am certain that GM has gotten enough feedback on the seats that they have asked a designer/engineer/production manager as to what can be done and how much it would cost. I'm sure they have a plan for modification. It will all come down to the complaint vs. satisfied ratio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I test drove a Premier a couple weeks ago and the seats didn't even cross my mind as a problem, then I saw this thread and started to worry. I went to a dealership over the weekend and wanted to re-test the seats. I noticed a distinct comfort difference between the seats in the LT vs. Premier. To me, a guy that wears 34" waist pants, the LT was pretty uncomfortable but for whatever reason the Premier felt much better. It was definitely a bit tight, I wish the seats were wider, but I was still comfortable. After that initial test, I sat in the car for roughly 15 minutes exploring the various interior features and the seats didn't cross my mind again, which I think is a good sign that it won't be a big issue. I don't recall any discomfort while climbing in or out, either, but I wasn't really paying attention to those details. Does anyone know if the volume of complaints is weighted more towards the LTs than the Premiers?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now that is interesting..Are the seats different in the LT vs Premier model? Like you, I have test driven a Bolt (three times) before placing my order (not yet arrived), but now realize all my test drives were in the Premier model. Could the "leather-ette" seats provide just enough extra padding/cushion to reduce the seat issue?

Could one of our Senior members start up a survey to see if there is a pattern on complaints? Or does anyone has access to the GM engineers to ask?

·
Registered
56 Posts
:|
That's really interesting. I've been reading these threads thinking "what are these people going on about?". My test drive and purchase were in Premiers.
So, zhiwiller, do you believe the seats on the Premier are DIFFERENT than on the LT? And thus you have no complaints with the seats?

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's my hypothesis.
One dude on here had someone take pictures from the side with him sitting in the leather (Premiere) and cloth (LT) seats. The cloth ones had more distance (padding) between his leg and the frame, and hence were presumably more comfortable. That was my experience sitting in the cars at the dealer too: I found the LT's cloth seats to be softer and comfortable, but the annoyance of sliding over a hard frame getting in and out of the car was present in both.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I really, really doubt there is any difference in the padding between the LT and the Premier. It is not like GM to stock two different sets of foam for a seat. Many of the people here that are having a tough time with their seats are in Premiers. I sat in both during the test drive phase and couldn't tell the difference. I also sampled several different LTs to make sure the one that was assigned to me wasn't going to drive me crazy. I could tell no difference and the sales guy rolled his eyes as he patiently followed me around sitting in car after car.

I believe that if there is any perceived difference between LT seats and Premier seats, it is all all in the tester's head. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if somebody can show me some solid proof though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2 cents.

My wife and I have had our Premiere for about five days now. Everything is great but I am not a fan of the seats. They just aren't that comfy. Some of it is probably the fault of my extra large frame in that I don't think the seatback is all that wide and I have pretty wide shoulders. But this is also a problem for my lower back and if I don't get exactly in the right spot, I start noticing it immediately. To contrast, our outgoing Mini Countryman (also with manual seat controls) which never had the world's greatest seats are a lot softer, and surprisingly wider. I'll poll my wife on her opinion on it (it's her car after all). But it's not a seat I really enjoy. The one thing they did get right is the headrest. Big, tall and safe.

My Cadillac's seats are awesome in comparison. But I would expect that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe that if there is any perceived difference between LT seats and Premier seats, it is all all in the tester's head.
Yeah, this is likely the case. Reading this thread about the seat complaints has really made it hard to be objective. My initial test drive, where I didn't think anything bad about the seats, is the only "untainted" experience I had so I guess they will be just fine for me.
On another note: Does anyone have a woman's perspective on the seats? I think this forum is mostly men and we've got larger frames, generally speaking.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My wife is 5'4" and between 120-130lbs (yes, that's all I'm privy to at my pay grade) and she has not complained about the Bolt front seats.
I'm 100% certain that if they were uncomfortable... she would have said something!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
My wife is 4'11" and 105lbs, she loves the seats. They're just right for her (width and bottom seat length). I think that's saying something.... Usually seats are on the bigger side to accommodate as many body types as possible; it's much easier to fit a small person in a big seat than a big person in a small seat.

The seats in her '15 Jetta are a bit big for her (she has to use a pad behind her back to bring her more forward otherwise the seat bottom digs into the back of her upper calves), but they're PERFECT for me! I wish I could snap a finger and swap the seats from car to car... Maybe I should measure up the track width on those... Hmmm....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've posted before in this thread that the seats are not an issue for me but am chiming in again as I am a woman- 5'7" 135 lbs and no issues. My husband also has no issues at 5'10" 160. A woman friend of mine just bought a Bolt today and loves it. I'm sorry that they are uncomfortable for some, but it is not everyone. Hopefully they will make the seats more universally appealing in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After 3-4 weeks (I'm at 5 weeks and nearly 1500 miles) the driver seat in my Premier feels much better. I don't feel the sides on the bottom or the back (it used to pinch my shoulder blades), so it has either broken in or I have :) My wife and I both thought the passenger seat always felt different (better) than the driver seat though, yet they appear to be the same. I'm 5'10" (but all torso, shorter legs) 220lb and broad shouldered. For the first few weeks it definitely was a poor experience.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm about 6'11" (not quite "Sevenfeet") and 290 lbs. Nothing is completely adequate for me in terms of proper fit for motor vehicles but the Bolt is good enough for legroom that I can take it out from time to time. We passed on all Priuses and Leafs since I cannot physically get behind the wheel of them (a 40" inseam leg length makes cars a big challenge). The Volt barely works and I'm not interested in "barely works".

201 - 220 of 421 Posts