Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Bolts were selling in 2017 at a rate that was approaching 3k per month.

The January number has dropped by almost 2/3 versus December.

That’s a huge drop.

Lots of posts on this forum reporting shortages, wonder if GM has throttled back production. If that’s the case it raises the question of whether GM really sees the Bolt as a mass market car, or just a low volume offering that will be limited to about 30k units a year.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bet a big chunk of December sales were driven by a desire to capture the EV tax credit.

By comparison, Volt sales dropped from 3691 to 1161 (69%) from Dec 2016 to Jan 2017, comparable to the Bolt's 64% decline and the Volt's 63% decline from 2017-2018.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dealers need cars in inventory to sell. The nearest bolts to me are 2017 leftovers 220+ miles away.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If that’s the case it raises the question of whether GM really sees the Bolt as a mass market car, or just a low volume offering that will be limited to about 30k units a year.
That's exactly what it is, a low volume offering. It is not a mass market car and it will not be for at least another decade and by then it will be a totally different car. Likely not called the Bolt. There are just very, very few buyers willing to take on the advantages of the BEV as well as disadvantages and the price point still puts it above most buyer's idea of an affordable "commuter car" or second car.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The Bolt is between leftover 2017 models and the in-transit 2018 models. It is hard to sell a car that isn't on the dealer's lot... The numbers look bad, but the inventory is just not there. Fremont Chevrolet always had a ton in stock, but only this week got their 2018 models in. BTW, you can get a 2017 Bolt from Fremont Chevrolet for $32,000 from the quote on their website. You could probably even negotiate them further down. If I wasn't getting solar panels I would definitely do this. I could get the Bolt for under $20,000 including taxes and fees for that price in the Central Valley. It is definitely tempting.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
BTW, you can get a 2017 Bolt from Fremont Chevrolet for $32,000 from the quote on their website. You could probably even negotiate them further down.
If this is the case, then this tells me the problem is not lack of inventory, but rather lack of demand. There is essentially no difference between a 2017 Bolt and a 2018 Bolt, so why would anyone pass up a 2017 and wait for an '18??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Here is what I have seen in the past 6 months

- Our rural dealerships nearby, who stocked 1-2 Bolts last summer, no longer have any.
- Nearer the Beltway, the Bolt inventories are down by half and the asking prices are 10% lower than last summer
- Bolts have disappeared from the roads ... saw only one in the past 2 months (used to see 2-3 times a month). Does it mean people don't like driving Bolts in winter?
- No new fast charging stations near me; two have gone bad and were discontinued, and the still functioning ones do not always work
- The more I look at the Leaf 2.0, the more skeptical I am about its mass appeal outside of the EV Nerdom and the compliance & ultra-high gas tax places. No dealerships in our area I have checked even mention the Leaf 2.0.
- The more I look at the actual passenger EV offerings vs. promises, the more I suspect everyone is kind of waiting for a miraculously miraculous miracle in the battery technology.
- Meanwhile, the Model 3 has somehow evolved from borderline vaporware into the best-selling EV in the US. Despite being late, not quite as "autonomous" as some people chose to believe, and selling blatantly 40% above the $35K bait price.

Twenty-seven month to go ...

·
Registered
233 Posts
- The more I look at the actual passenger EV offerings vs. promises, the more I suspect everyone is kind of waiting for a miraculously miraculous miracle in the battery technology.
This battery, with its lithium sulphur chemistry, is supposed to show up on the market later this year. Several different web publications recently reported on the breakthrough made with this chemistry by a group out of U of Waterloo (the original reports were actually from a few years ago). Probably not the one thing manufacturers are waiting on, but it shows there's some new developments coming to market. http://www.sionpower.com/technology-licerion.php

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
That's exactly what it is, a low volume offering. It is not a mass market car and it will not be for at least another decade and by then it will be a totally different car. Likely not called the Bolt. There are just very, very few buyers willing to take on the advantages of the BEV as well as disadvantages and the price point still puts it above most buyer's idea of an affordable "commuter car" or second car.
Bingo! I am constantly amazed at the difference between my everyday experience, and the hype I see on the internet. People are worried about the tech bubble, or climate change, and many latch onto the electric car as somehow the answer to all this. Wishing battery technology was mature is not the same as it actually being so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i signed the paperwork at 8:30pm on the 31st. The next morning when I ran my wife by to sign a few things, the sales guy mentioned to a black one next to me that was the last one. They had 5 on the 31st, and three weeks before their first 2018 gets here.

He claimed they were the largest east coast electric dealer outside of Florida here in Raleigh, NC. They had a great selection and he knew both Volt and Bolt inside and out.

I saw no reason to wait for a 2018, the hand warmer on the steering wheel is automatic now, that's the only diff on the preimer so hey, i'm good with a heavily incented 2017. Got that bright blue, would have loved an orange one but not enough to wait.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here is what I have seen in the past 6 months

- Our rural dealerships nearby, who stocked 1-2 Bolts last summer, no longer have any.
- Nearer the Beltway, the Bolt inventories are down by half and the asking prices are 10% lower than last summer
- Bolts have disappeared from the roads ... saw only one in the past 2 months (used to see 2-3 times a month). Does it mean people don't like driving Bolts in winter?
- No new fast charging stations near me; two have gone bad and were discontinued, and the still functioning ones do not always work
- The more I look at the Leaf 2.0, the more skeptical I am about its mass appeal outside of the EV Nerdom and the compliance & ultra-high gas tax places. No dealerships in our area I have checked even mention the Leaf 2.0.
- Meanwhile, the Model 3 has somehow evolved from borderline vaporware into the best-selling EV in the US. Despite being late, not quite as "autonomous" as some people chose to believe, and selling blatantly 40% above the $35K bait price.

Twenty-seven month to go ...
This is very sad. I am very happy with mine. I would really not go back to ICE cars.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
112 Posts
Couple things to consider.
1. January is typically not a huge month for any manufacturer of EV's
2. I think the numbers are for production when it pertains to the Bolt so they may have held back a little to clear out old stock.
3. What cleavet said
1. The increase from Jan 2017 is not what would be expected from a car that is now much more widely available
2. The track cars delivered to end customer, not production

I think the upcoming release of the Leaf as well as growing production of the Tesla Model 3 are hurting sales.

GM is going to have to reduce the price substantially (> 10%) or start discounting even more.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This is very sad. I am very happy with mine. I would really not go back to ICE cars.

I'm happy with mine, too, and I wouldn't go back to ICE cars either - unless I have to. The question is, in 2 years or so, will there be a choice of middle market EV's, or it will be just a $60K Model 3 and a handful of wannabe "Tesla-killers".

Thinking of the chicken and egg conundrum: what comes first - a choice of middle-market EV's or the market for them?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm happy with mine, too, and I wouldn't go back to ICE cars either - unless I have to. The question is, in 2 years or so, will there be a choice of middle market EV's, or it will be just a $60K Model 3 and a handful of wannabe "Tesla-killers".

Thinking of the chicken and egg conundrum: what comes first - a choice of middle-market EV's or the market for them?
Hopefully a choice of everything...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Bingo! I am constantly amazed at the difference between my everyday experience, and the hype I see on the internet. People are worried about the tech bubble, or climate change, and many latch onto the electric car as somehow the answer to all this. Wishing battery technology was mature is not the same as it actually being so.
Exactly! We are lucky to have what we have. There really is very little market for BEVs in spite of what the zealots like to think. The world is still waiting for a better battery. The other 98% of car buyers aren't going to go all electric until either there is a seamless drop in replacement for gasoline, or they are forced to. In the mean time, you and I can make a few converts here and there. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
L3 charging 'on every street corner' would be a huge benefit too. Road tripping now, and this supposedly green city has a dearth of L2 let alone L3 opportunities.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts