Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I really like the diminuendo, staccato horn feature on the Volt, miss it, wish it were on the Bolt. It's perfect for encouraging text-zombies to move along.

I was very surprised to find that the Bolt doesn't have this, too. I use it in our Volt all of the time. It's loud enough, but doesn't cause pedestrians to jump out of their shoes, as with a horn. The EV-1 (20 years ago!) had this feature, too.

It's not like we can rev the engine, either. Oh well, first World problems...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My nitpicks that I hadn't seen mentioned

1) Set belt latch mechanism could be a couple inches taller (It's always a fishing expedition to latch the seatbelt)

2) Bird's eye camera - car color should be the same as my car (its a nitpick thread after all but this seems obvious)

And a suggestion
I really wish Chevy Bolt had a product manager or some online "face" of the Bolt. Elon answers customers directly and has implemented customer suggestions via over the air software updates. Other companies also take suggestions or communicate with customers through a twitter account. Even if the answer is "No" it would be nice to have an official answer on why. Some of us would also like to thank them for such a great product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sport Mode

Nitpick: when starting up, the Bolt does not seem to remember that I was driving in Sport mode when I turned it off last time. I don't like having to reselect Sport mode every time I start up.

Love the car, though!

·
Registered
579 Posts
...answers customers directly and has implemented customer suggestions via over the air software updates. Other companies also take suggestions or communicate with customers through a twitter account. Even if the answer is "No" it would be nice to have an official answer on why. Some of us would also like to thank them for such a great product.
So true.

Traditional automakers are having a hard time accepting that the face of their cars is as much user interface to software and software features as it is chrome tinsel and the latest grille hypertrophy fad or whatever. Tesla benefits from a short history and not having developed cultural myopia.

There really ought to be a formal channel and then a process for review of customer suggestions w/regard to software behavior.

A world of possibilities exists for developing customer enthusiasm around cars via UI. Naturally, auto manufacturers are worried about and must be guided by the lowest common denominator in their customer base: those who can't or won't read a manual. This could be addressed with a little creativity, for instance a UI that goes into "expert mode" only after a holding a particular button down for 10 seconds and then confirming thrice via a dialog box or whatever.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Elon answers customers directly
You really believe that? While I can't speak for Elon personally, I have friends in large corporations and even working for the POTUS, who've headed a department where the staff filter and choose which few of the daily thousands of letters, e-mails, tweets, phone calls, messages, get sent to the Chief of Staff who then decides which one or two the MAN might see personally. The rest get a minion reply.

And yes, that GM doesn't bother is indicative.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Traditional automakers are having a hard time accepting that the face of their cars is as much user interface to software and software features as it is chrome tinsel...
This is one of the reasons I love Android Auto. It will be updated as time goes by and that will give my car more capabilities. And it'll be free - no ridiculously expensive GPS map updates.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A couple of the mentioned nits come standard on Canadian destined cars.
DCFC is standard on all trim levels.
Windshield washer fluid low- I’ll have to wait & see if I get a warning. Even my ‘99 Sienna has that, & the manual clearly states when it comes on you can add the entire contents of a 4L (1 gal), container. The Honda manuals show- Windshield washer low level indication (Canadian Models).
It might be something our Govt mandates, it has been on every car I’ve owned in at least the last 20 years.
I would like to see a lighted charge port.
The overpriced all weather mats are a total fail.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I really like the diminuendo, staccato horn feature on the Volt, miss it, wish it were on the Bolt. It's perfect for encouraging text-zombies to move along.
This is sorely needed on the Gen 2 Volts AND our Bolts. Sad even the 2019 Bolt doesn't have it.

A couple of the mentioned nits come standard on Canadian destined cars.
DCFC is standard on all trim levels.
Windshield washer fluid low- I’ll have to wait & see if I get a warning. Even my ‘99 Sienna has that, & the manual clearly states when it comes on you can add the entire contents of a 4L (1 gal), container. The Honda manuals show- Windshield washer low level indication (Canadian Models).
It might be something our Govt mandates, it has been on every car I’ve owned in at least the last 20 years.
I would like to see a lighted charge port.
The overpriced all weather mats are a total fail.
Can confirm, no windshield washer fluid warning. I ran the reservoir dry (cause bugs) and panicked. Stopped at the nearest Fred Meyer to grab some generic fluid (wasn't sure if RainX would gunk up the innards) for fear the empty pump would be a bad thing (dryout tubes, overheat pump without coolant). Probably unfounded, but now I keep an extra bottle at home just in case. I miss the indicator on my old 2017 Volt.

BTW, anyone know if RainX 2-in-1 washer fluid is okay in our Bolts?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My nitpicks that I hadn't seen mentioned

1) Set belt latch mechanism could be a couple inches taller (It's always a fishing expedition to latch the seatbelt)

2) Bird's eye camera - car color should be the same as my car (its a nitpick thread after all but this seems obvious)

And a suggestion
I really wish Chevy Bolt had a product manager or some online "face" of the Bolt. Elon answers customers directly and has implemented customer suggestions via over the air software updates. Other companies also take suggestions or communicate with customers through a twitter account. Even if the answer is "No" it would be nice to have an official answer on why. Some of us would also like to thank them for such a great product.
One other thing that Tesla does to promote feedback is the bug report feature. You activate the voice command and just say "bug report" and blather on and it's sent on to Freemont. I used it the other day when I was in CC and the post speed limit was 40 but the navigation thought it was 30. We'll see how long before the mapping software updates. And yes, Elon does answer directly to "some" twitter requests (and some he shouldn't). Some of the current features were twitter suggestions that he agreed were a good idea and a few months later, we got the OTA update.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The driver’s seat belt retractor applies too much torque when un-buckling the seat belt.

When un-buckling and releasing the chrome part of the seat belt, the insert end thwacks with a lot of force against the plastic door trim. Causing small abrasions in the driver’s door panel / door handle trim (cheap plastic).

Unless you’re very careful in holding onto the seat belt end as you unbuckle, and moving it slowly over to it’s retracted position. It thwacks the door trim mercilessly.

It looks like I’ll be able to mask the abrasions in the door trim with a little STP protectant out of my car reconditioning tool kit. I might also shoot a little fine sand into the retractor mechanism in order to slow it down…?;)

This is a true nitpick. But it still bugs me to have to concentrate so much on holding onto the seat belt to retract it slowly in order to avoid defacing the door trim.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The driver’s seat belt retractor applies too much torque when un-buckling the seat belt.

When un-buckling and releasing the chrome part of the seat belt, the insert end thwacks with a lot of force against the plastic door trim. Causing small abrasions in the driver’s door panel / door handle trim (cheap plastic).

Unless you’re very careful in holding onto the seat belt end as you unbuckle, and moving it slowly over to it’s retracted position. It thwacks the door trim mercilessly.

It looks like I’ll be able to mask the abrasions in the door trim with a little STP protectant out of my car reconditioning tool kit. I might also shoot a little fine sand into the retractor mechanism in order to slow it down…?;)

This is a true nitpick. But it still bugs me to have to concentrate so much on holding onto the seat belt to retract it slowly in order to avoid defacing the door trim.
This is a result of every other car owner on the planet complaining that the seat belts do not retract after a years use, and get shut in the door because they are hanging out onto the ground.

Keith

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think there is a line in the Manual about not using rain removal products, as it could cause wiper skip/chatter.
Searched manual pdf for this based on your tip, found it on pg 255:

Do not use washer fluid that
contains any type of water
repellent coating. This can
cause the wiper blades to
chatter or skip.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think there is a line in the Manual about not using rain removal products, as it could cause wiper skip/chatter.
Searched manual pdf for this based on your tip, found it on pg 255:

Do not use washer fluid that
contains any type of water
repellent coating. This can
cause the wiper blades to
chatter or skip.
Thanks! Though, I'm wondering how bad the chatter would be. I do like the beading effect and the Hydro2 coating wears off fastest on the windshield with wipers going (like weeks instead of months). I have spare wipers so I may give the RainX a shot. Was mainly worried about the pump and lines for the washer reservoir.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It would be nice to have a power liftgate. My wife is very short and finds it a bit difficult to reach the high (for her) hatch in order to grab and close it.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Though, I'm wondering how bad the chatter would be. I do like the beading effect and the Hydro2 coating wears off fastest on the windshield with wipers going (like weeks instead of months). I have spare wipers so I may give the RainX a shot. Was mainly worried about the pump and lines for the washer reservoir.
I've never used this stuff so what the heck do I know - but isn't there a product that you can just apply directly to the windshield rather than delivering the roundabout way via the windshield fluid reservoir, pump and nozzles?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
From what I've heard, it's roughly the same lifetime as when spraying and wiping from a bottle by hand (lasts a week or two in PNW rain). I figured spraying it from the built-in sprayers and windshield wipers was easier than carrying a bottle around in the car. Also, sometimes I start seeing the rainx getting weak, just a fresh spritz while driving and it's good as new!

I did look into aquapel and trico glass treatments which last MUCH longer (like months, even with wiper usage), but that required super cleaning the windshield and preparing in shade. I'm super lazy and loved the beading effect of Hydro2 but with minimal work (spray on, hose off). It's currently on month 3 of application and I've been through 3 tunnel washes (1/month) and it still beads like crazy. Unfortunately, wiper usage wears it down fast and I was considering RainX washer fluid as a cheaper, easier to apply solution.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
.... I was considering Rain-X washer fluid as a cheaper, easier to apply solution.
I've used the Rain-X Wiper Fluid (orange color liquid) for the past year now... it's not as good as applying the liquid directly... but it's much better than no Rain-X at all.
Con- it does seem to produce some sort of "wiper haze" directly after the blade for the split second the blade passes over any area... but it instantly disappears. With that small detail in mind... I continue using it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-20F-2-In-1-All-Season-Washer-Fluid/33694037?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227022240144&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839507272&wl4=pla-78653111792&wl5=9004557&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=33694037&wl13=&veh=sem

261 - 280 of 305 Posts