Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Minor quibbles

Some really minor quibbles (love the car):

1) I like having Car Play, but it's a pain to get to it from any other screen (particularly the energy efficiency screen, which I really like). The fastest way I've found is to hit the home button, wait several seconds for the home screen to appear, then hit the Car Play tile. I'd love to have a way to get back to Car Play faster. Failing that, I'd like a mini efficiency graph as an option in the steering display.

2) I've got the Bolt premier, and I LOVE the overhead view when I'm backing up. It's really useful when pulling forward into a spot too, but if I want to do that, I have to come to a complete stop, and either shift briefly into reverse and then forward again, or navigate to a screen with the tile [..] button, click it, then find the camera tile.

3) I like the idea of the regenerative breaking paddle, but I hate the implementation. It's really easy to get it confused with the FAV up and down buttons while turning. It's also a digital button rather than pressure sensitive, and using it makes my passengers carsick.

4) The trunk floor panel is really handy, and I can't count the times where I've used it to "double" the size of the trunk by putting stuff both under and on it. But if I need to put something tall in, there's nowhere stable to stash the thing out of the way; I have to take it completely out of the car.

5) (scraping the bottom of the barrel here) Does anyone else find the intermittent wiper lines confusing? I would have expected the short line to mean short delay and long line to mean long delay, but it's the opposite.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
1) I like having Car Play, but it's a pain to get to it from any other screen (particularly the energy efficiency screen, which I really like). The fastest way I've found is to hit the home button, wait several seconds for the home screen to appear, then hit the Car Play tile. I'd love to have a way to get back to Car Play faster. Failing that, I'd like a mini efficiency graph as an option in the steering display.
Long press on the home button. That's all you need to do.

3) I like the idea of the regenerative breaking paddle, but I hate the implementation. It's really easy to get it confused with the FAV up and down buttons while turning. It's also a digital button rather than pressure sensitive, and using it makes my passengers carsick.
Keep your foot on the accelerator pedal while you use the paddle. Use your foot to control how much regen.

4) The trunk floor panel is really handy, and I can't count the times where I've used it to "double" the size of the trunk by putting stuff both under and on it. But if I need to put something tall in, there's nowhere stable to stash the thing out of the way; I have to take it completely out of the car.
It fits flat in the bottom of the trunk.

5) (scraping the bottom of the barrel here) Does anyone else find the intermittent wiper lines confusing? I would have expected the short line to mean short delay and long line to mean long delay, but it's the opposite.
Yeah, I did find that odd. Short line means less wipes per minute in their view, I guess.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The more line you have, the more wiping you have.

That is obviously what the designers had in mind.

I also find it confusing as it the opposite of the markings on my other vehicles.
I dunno - it seems pretty intuitive to me. It's the same style of labeling as on things like volume controls, cell phone signal displays, VU meters, etc. Bigger = More. If anything, I think I'd find the reverse to be pretty confusing.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I dunno - it seems pretty intuitive to me. It's the same style of labeling as on things like volume controls, cell phone signal displays, VU meters, etc. Bigger = More. If anything, I think I'd find the reverse to be pretty confusing.
If it was controlling the speed of the wipers, it'd make sense. But for an intermittent wipe, lots of folks are thinking about the pause (pause less, pause more).

In any case the key thing is that some vehicles label it the other way around (I think VW does, for example).

(More related shower thoughts, why do we push the gear selector forward to go backwards and pull it backwards to go forwards?)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Toyota

If it was controlling the speed of the wipers, it'd make sense. But for an intermittent wipe, lots of folks are thinking about the pause (pause less, pause more).

In any case the key thing is that some vehicles label it the other way around (I think VW does, for example). ...
My Toyota is the opposite of Bolt and other GM vehicles. It's obviously a manufacturer design choice. Best is fully automatic like my Mercedes Sprinter van that measures the rain fall and adjusts wipers accordingly. That requires a rain sensor.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yes, in my entire fleet the Bolt is opposite from everyone else. Toyota & Honda do a better job with small things like this. They also win hands down on the implementation of cruise control, the Bolt buttons are pathetic for a car costing this much. A 20K Civic or Corolla has a MUCH better set on controls.
Very has the good intel on your other gripes. Using paddle & accelerator is in the manual, but it’s one sentence. It does make it work just like driving in L.
I moved the false floor cargo cover to the bottom & left it there. You still have that little privacy cover that goes up & down with the hatch to conceal your trunk contents .

·
Registered
73 Posts
1) Please add am/pm to time displays. I set Departure mode charging to 6:30 am departure and have used it for months. Couple days ago I checked and it said start: 12:40 end: 6:30, satisfied I went back in the house. Next morning no charge. Somehow the time had gotten changed to pm instead of am - not by me. Had the display included that info instead of only numbers I would have caught it. I changed it to 24 hour clock so that I now have that info.

2) Please don't treat me like a complete idiot. I know I have something in the back seat. I also periodically check tire pressure.

3) Please don't automatically turn the radio on, and even more so, don't try and sell me Sirius service on my display. You have sent me multiple mailings on it, if I wanted it I would have purchased it. The more you pester me, the more it turns me off to it.

4) Please supply heat when I select it. I want heat, warm air, not air slightly above the temperature set point that so that the cabin asymptotically approaches the set point temperature.

5) Please ditch the "creep mode". There is no reason for the motor to be turning when the car is just sitting there. It doesn't turn on the car I converted until you depress the accelerator. Yours shouldn't either. It's a waste of energy and annoying hearing it whirring when the car is stationary.

6) Please reduce the wind noise at highway speeds - I guess due to the side view mirrors, because it sounds like it is right outside the driver's side window. Maybe GM and Tesla can work to convince the Feds that cameras in place of mirrors are acceptable.

7) Regarding your new vehicles for 2023 timeframe: Please make a SMALL pickup truck like the 1990's Toyota or Isuzu size, with similar ground clearance, 300 mile range, and maybe 4 wheel drive option (need the ground clearance more than the 4wd, and two wheel drive would reduce cost). And please put some tires on it that can handle dirt/rock roads. If you refuse to do that, at least make a small hatchback/SUV like the Bolt, but with more ground clearance, higher ply tires, and 300 mile range. If you don't, I'll be selling the Bolt and buying a Rivian pickup even though I don't need or want that much power and that large a truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
3) Please don't automatically turn the radio on, and even more so, don't try and sell me Sirius service on my display. You have sent me multiple mailings on it, if I wanted it I would have purchased it. The more you pester me, the more it turns me off to it.
<grin!> after my initial 30 free days expired, that problem went away. but I agree Sirius radio was mega-annoying, especially the DJ with the offensively fake Brit-oid accent on the 40's channel, WTH? very poor marketing, I agree with that last comment about pestering.

7) Regarding your new vehicles for 2023 timeframe: Please make a SMALL pickup truck like the 1990's Toyota or Isuzu size, with similar ground clearance, 300 mile range, and maybe 4 wheel drive option (need the ground clearance more than the 4wd, and two wheel drive would reduce cost). And please put some tires on it that can handle dirt/rock roads. If you refuse to do that, at least make a small hatchback/SUV like the Bolt, but with more ground clearance, higher ply tires, and 300 mile range. If you don't, I'll be selling the Bolt and buying a Rivian pickup even though I don't need or want that much power and that large a truck.
Amen, and amen again! Ground clearance, AWD, robust tyres, and please a tow package. I still love my old Mazda (1991) B2600, and an electric equiv of that truck (with or without AWD) would be awesome. I see I am not alone :) an electric 1/4 ton pickup would just make my year. Actually, I'd probably trade the Bolt in on it!

BTW add me to those who find the intermittent windshield wiper line lengths to be backwards and puzzling :) and I really would prefer to push the shift lever forward for Forward and aft for Reverse. And I'd like the option to make L the default mode so I don't have to push the darned thing twice, every single time.

The glary acre and a half of dashboard was also kind of a design fail. OTOH, I can't fault the handling. CoG nice and low, glued to the road, and torque galore. I'd say they got the big things right and some of the little annoying things wrong.

Other minor nitpicks: why tell me every single time that charging at 12 amp might overload a shared circuit? I know it's a dedicated circuit. The car knows it's at home at its usual charger. Can we just get on with it? And why does that setting keep disappearing? And the response time on the central console touch screen is imho pretty pathetic. Try a Tesla touch screen or an iPad Pro for comparison :) I think it's actually a semi-safety issue as the user may have to press a screen button twice, or not be sure it actuated, which distracts attention from driving. Would be nice if it just worked smoothly and instantly like a decent tablet. Long menus don't "flick scroll" in the way I expect.

Maybe there is a way to do this that I haven't looked hard enough for yet, but can I change the volume on the sound system from a steering wheel button? And why can't the sound system maintain an average loudness of my choice? The menu makes it seem like it does this, but in practise the different recording levels of my motley mp3 library mean that I'm constantly adjusting the volume control. Funny, the car offers climate control which I could care less about, but no similar level enforcement for audio.

Lastly, when I select random (shuffle) play, I expect it to be re-randomised every time the car starts. I haven't made close observations with note-taking to prove this conclusively, but I have a growing suspicion that this is not happening; the "shuffle" playlist seemed awfully familiar last time I set out!

Life just wouldn't be nearly so much fun without some nits to pick, eh!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Searched this thread to make sure someone hadn't mentioned my nitpick. Something DISASTEROUS.

TERRIBLE.

HORRIFYING.

Clearly an oversight that MUST be rectified with the Bolt 2.0.

A feature that my humble Volt Gen 1 had:

In door umbrella slots.

:) Hey. It's a /nitpick/ thread. I also genuinely miss them. That the Volt even had them was a nice surprise. I'm used to having umbrella slots in non American cars, and having them in my Volt was one of many little things that made me feel like Chevrolet was taking design pointers from other makers.

Yet my beloved Bolt lacks them. Leaving the umbrella on the floor next to my seat, where it can just roll out of the car isn't quite the same. So undignified and beneath my elevated sensibilities. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Searched this thread to make sure someone hadn't mentioned my nitpick. Something DISASTEROUS.

TERRIBLE.

HORRIFYING.

Clearly an oversight that MUST be rectified with the Bolt 2.0.

A feature that my humble Volt Gen 1 had:

In door umbrella slots.

:) Hey. It's a /nitpick/ thread. I also genuinely miss them. That the Volt even had them was a nice surprise. I'm used to having umbrella slots in non American cars, and having them in my Volt was one of many little things that made me feel like Chevrolet was taking design pointers from other makers.

Yet my beloved Bolt lacks them. Leaving the umbrella on the floor next to my seat, where it can just roll out of the car isn't quite the same. So undignified and beneath my elevated sensibilities. :)
FWIW, a small Totes automatic umbrella fits the in-door "cupholder" slot on my 2017 Premier just fine. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
...Maybe there is a way to do this that I haven't looked hard enough for yet, but can I change the volume on the sound system from a steering wheel button?
Volume up/down buttons on the back of the right steering wheel spoke at 3 o'clock?

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK, I've had my Bolt for a while now, so here is my list off the top of my head.

I want the outside temperature to be able to be displayed on the dash LCD. Yeah, it's on the entertainment unit screen, right until I go to Android Auto, and then it's gone. Give me a "theme" that has that.

I haven't found a way to change the sound input from the steering wheel controls. Yes, if I am in the radio, I can change my stations, but I can't go from Bluetooth to Radio without touching the screen. (That I've found. Admittedly I haven't looked that hard for that...) Something like, if I press the UP and DOWN channel buttons on the steering wheel at the same time, it changes the input?

I do think I would prefer at least some of the AC/Heat controls as real buttons. Infrequently, I'll get in the car, start backing up and realize I left the AC on as the fans kick in. I have to wait until I put the car back into D or L and move a bit before I get the screen back to turn that off.

I'd like the option to add the "water spraying the backup camera" feature on my non-premier model. ;-) That's the only feature of the Premier that was really tempting for me! :)

I'd love the option to remotely START charging at home. There are times when I want to add just a bit to the car and/or have it plugged in to heat. If I had this option, I could easily just start it when I wake up. I know I could get fancy with a timer, but this isn't a consistent enough thing for me to do that. My home charger has a 2/4/6/8 hour delay start feature that gets me close to what I want. (I really wish THAT unit let me go to 10 and 12 hours on the delay tho.)

others:
-Obviously, if it doesn't affect the battery, a less aggressive QC taper.
-Better seat padding, but I added some extra padding myself to address that. That shouldn't be a customer add tho, IMHO.
-I was going to say lighted QC port, but it looks like I could add that at the dealer now? (I'm way to cheap I would guess to do that tho. I just have a lighted plastic rope thing I got online, and to be honest, I have never needed to use it.)

Probably some other minor things that aren't coming to mind. ;-)
Still love my car after a year and a half and over 40k miles tho!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't found a way to change the sound input from the steering wheel controls. Yes, if I am in the radio, I can change my stations, but I can't go from Bluetooth to Radio without touching the screen. (That I've found. Admittedly I haven't looked that hard for that...) Something like, if I press the UP and DOWN channel buttons on the steering wheel at the same time, it changes the input?

Steering wheel right side all the arrows. Press left you get a menu. Press down to Audio. Press right. Press right. Here you can change the audio input. Or close to that with me on memory :) I've only had mine just over a month. Unless there are that many differences between our Bolt versions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Steering wheel right side all the arrows. Press left you get a menu. Press down to Audio. Press right. Press right. Here you can change the audio input. Or close to that with me on memory :) I've only had mine just over a month. Unless there are that many differences between our Bolt versions.
I almost never use that menu, so forgot to check there!!!

Thanx!

281 - 300 of 305 Posts