Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not sure if it was covered already, but when playing audio from a usb drive, I'd like to see album art above the artist / title of the track that's playing.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
OK. I have a glitch that has shown up before. I rotate the tires, the relearn fails part way through, and the DIC check mark will not clear the fault so I can relearn the system. This is the third time this has happened. Each time, after it happens, I take it into the shop for them to check it, and it clears and relearns just fine. After the first time, I thought the problem was caused by the OBD II reader, so now I take it out before relearning. I use my relearn tool periodically, just to make sure it works, and when I don't need it to, it works just fine.

Today when it failed again, I held the check mark down for probably 30 seconds, hoping it would clear the fault, and ask if I wanted to relearn the system. The car-with-exclamation mark came on. The car would only shift between Neutral, and Park. It would not go into any actual gears. I shut it off and walked away for a minute. Came back and all works again...but TPMS error is still there. The app shows all tire pressures as a dash, and says Low Tire.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
This morning I tried again to clear the TPMS message, so I could attempt the relearn procedure. I tried a long press of the check mark button, as the message at the bottom of the screen says. No good. I tried a quick press of the button....no go. I drove to the dealer, and arrived several minutes after they opened the doors. I asked for someone to come out and document the problem. A minute later a nice young guy came out, and I went through the procedure for him to show that it was broken, and didn't work. He reached in and gave the check mark button a short press, and the error cleared!

Apparently, the button requires a very specific type of press to work correctly?! Clearly, cars have become too complex to continue with human intervention. I surrender to our robot overlords. :mad:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Apparently, the button requires a very specific type of press to work correctly?! Clearly, cars have become too complex to continue with human intervention. I surrender to our robot overlords.
In my former life when I was part of the workforce, we had upgraded an old analog relay control logic to a computer controlled system (PLC). We found the older operators had the most difficulty in pressing the buttons so the system wouldn't glitch. We literally had training sessions on how to press the buttons. Too quick and the system might not catch it due to its scan speed. Too long, and the system would get into a control loop that was unnerving when the system would start clicking and flashing.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Yes. Ever problem, solved by increasing complexity, creates two more problems. Our evolutionary drive for more offspring, and more stuff, always requires greater complexity. Soon only AI will be able to deal with it. At that point we are history. My suspicion is that we will be history before AI happens.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ah, the nitpicks. LOVE my 2019 Bolt LT, but there are a few things that annoy me regularly. Some have been mentioned here, but I think a few have not:

Rear view mirror sucks. Horrible range of visibility.

Rear camera sucks (and gets wet / obscured easily). Far too easy to clip something on the side if you’re only using the camera view. Had a number of close calls... I find myself creeping back, swiveling constantly between turning to look with my eyes, and using the camera. My wife’s RAV4 backup camera is SO MUCH BETTER.

Rear camera sucks, part 2: inconsistent display, guidelines come and go, wtf?

Terrible rear visibility in general, even using all three methods. Worst of any car I’ve ever had.

Volume controls on steering wheel are hidden (took weeks to find!) and not on left like every other car I’ve had with them. I want to drive with just my left hand on the wheel. Right hand controls, why bother? The knob is 8” away.

Trunk oddness. The funky storage space filled with odd styrofoam, etc.

No spare tire???

Door unlock buttons: dumb. Hand proximity sensors are SO MUCH BETTER. (Again, my wife’s RAV4 excels in this)

Radio comes back on after you turn the car off, unlike any other car in history. WTF?

Shallow and small cup holders. Practically useless.

Every car I’ve ever had had allowed a small amount of air bleed from the vents. Just turn on recirc if you want to seal the cabin. But it allows a little fresh air in the car without having to crack the windows (especially at speed), or force you to use powered fans.

Want to Re-order favorite stations without requiring Onstar subscription.

i wish I could tell when my Brake lights are on. Other cars I’ve had have had just enough light bleed that you know... of course, with regular cars you know they’re on simply because it only happens when you put your foot on the brake. It’s not as obvious with regen braking, and lacking any indicator makes me a touch nervous because I never know for sure what the car is conveying behind me, other than when I’m braking with the pedal. (I usually drive in L mode)

Horn chirps are way too loud. Start the car but still in park, and step out to adjust something in the back seat, and it freaks out. Since keys are always on me, because “real keys” aren’t used anymore, that notice is super annoying 95% of the time, and way louder than it needs to be. (Sorry, neighbors!)

Many situations have important screen info blocked by steering wheel. Especially with CarPlay which I’ve mostly given up on.

Wiper On stalk switch direction is backwards from every other car I’ve had.

Check Back seat warning is HORRIBLE if you have a car seat installed. No kid, just the seat, but still get warned!

There’s doubtless a few other things, but that’s a start...

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is where the birds eye view in the Premiere model really shines. I paid extra for the bells and whistles once, but I enjoy them every time I drive the car...
If only I could upgrade just the one part to the premiere version, I probably would, if that actually helps. Visibility to the rear is definitely my main serious complaint about this car. Everything else really is nitpicking.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah I really liked the birds eye view but I couldn't justify the cost to go along with a bunch of stuff I didn't care about. I agree, if only it was a standalone option.
Trunk: different markets have different things stored in that foam.
Spare: I guess they just want you to trust the run-flat or use the roadside assistance for as long the warranty lasts.
Radio: history? didn't the old dial radios of yore come back on to where you left it. Jeez it's been so long :) But I agree. I wish it could be turned off on its own and not either volume down or turn off everything.
Re-ordering favorites list: agree
Brake lights: you can see them at night to get to know when they come on
Horn alert: I think that's a setting

Still love the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah I really liked the birds eye view but I couldn't justify the cost to go along with a bunch of stuff I didn't care about. I agree, if only it was a standalone option.
Trunk: different markets have different things stored in that foam.
Spare: I guess they just want you to trust the run-flat or use the roadside assistance for as long the warranty lasts.
Radio: history? didn't the old dial radios of yore come back on to where you left it. Jeez it's been so long :) But I agree. I wish it could be turned off on its own and not either volume down or turn off everything.
Re-ordering favorites list: agree
Brake lights: you can see them at night to get to know when they come on
Horn alert: I think that's a setting

Still love the car.
Yeah, I’ve seen the interesting posts about other countries’ contents of the lower trunk space. Still, seems like a pretty bad implementation, IMO. There are a zillion ways to deal with that, and this one just seems half-assed.

Re a spare, “just use roadside assistance” is a horrible recommendation (from Chevy). A spare is hardly a complicated thing. Simply including a real spare (even a low speed donut spare) would have been a huge improvement. Lots of flats happen that the “run flat” feature can’t handle, and they can happen in remote places, etc, where an actual spare makes a massive (and possibly life-saving) difference.

I think I read the horn alert can be disabled, but that’s not what I want. It’s a helpful warning at times, it just needs to be quieter.

But yeah, still adore this car. Can’t understand why they’re not making tons more of them. Seems like more people are looking for them (or don’t even know they exist, else they might!) than Chevy is making them. Is it that hard to make more cars so you can sell more?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish the hatch had two handles inside to close it. It has the cutout for one on the left side, but it is just a blank. I would love to add a second one in there.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
42 Posts
Ah, the nitpicks. LOVE my 2019 Bolt LT, but there are a few things that annoy me regularly. Some have been mentioned here, but I think a few have not:

<--snip-->

There’s doubtless a few other things, but that’s a start...
Love my 2020, commenting on your nits - and agreeing with some.

Rear mirror: No worse that other cars I've had.
Rear camera: I've seen some drips, but as this is the first backup camera I've had I love it. Agree about the guidelines, and I can't figure out what causes them to disappear.
Rear visibility: I've a bone to pick with most new cars about this.
Volume controls: Same as my SparkEV. I find a knob easier and quicker.
No spare: Agree 110%, a do-nut spare and jack would be so much better. The wave of the future - saves money, weight, and space for GM. Spares are going off to the land of oil and amp gauges for gas cars.
Door buttons: Took me a day to get used to them, almost used to the shifter now.
Radio: Yeah, I keep the volume at 0 when I don't want it.
Air bleed: Haven't seen a car that worked that way for a long time.
Reorder stations: You mean there's a way to do that???
Brake lights: Would kinda like that but I've had the same problem with the SparkEV and it hasn't bugged me enough to do something about it.
Horn: Yeah, the beep-beep-beep when you shut the front door is annoying.
Screen info blocked: Haven't noticed this. However, I have my beefs with carplay. I've used a tomtom app for nav for years, but carplay only uses google maps. For that matter, allow plugshare too!
Wiper controls: That's the same direction as every GM car I've seen for the past 6 or so years. Just rented a little Buick and the rear wiper is a rocker switch on the end of the stalk - be glad they didn't do that.
Check back seat: See page 123-124 of the 2020 manual - your page may vary.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Auto headlights take longer to come on than any car I've ever driven. Maybe by a factor of 10. I can drive through a long tunnel (like 20 seconds) and they don't even THINK about coming on. When I pull into my garage its nearly pitch black and they don't come on. HOW CAN THEY BE THIS BAD?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
161 Posts
Man, this car is great (I have a 2017 Premier) but the biggest small things for me to nitpick about are the lack of a place to put my sunglasses, no place convenient to put spare change such as an ashtray and the glovebox is on the small side.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Man, this car is great (I have a 2017 Premier) but the biggest small things for me to nitpick about are the lack of a place to put my sunglasses...
I stow my sunglasses in the cutout of the driver's armrest. I have special pair of glasses for driving, so the lenses in them aren't overly large and they mostly fit into the cutout without having to worry about them falling out when I close the door.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
161 Posts
I stow my sunglasses in the cutout of the driver's armrest. I have special pair of glasses for driving, so the lenses in them aren't overly large and they mostly fit into the cutout without having to worry about them falling out when I close the door.
Yeah, that's where I keep my garage remote since it doesn't have the clip and can't be clipped-on. Most other cars that I've owned have had a special place for sunglasses. Overall, it's a great car but I'm nitpicking in this thread. :)

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Yeah, that's where I keep my garage remote since it doesn't have the clip and can't be clipped-on. Most other cars that I've owned have had a special place for sunglasses. Overall, it's a great car but I'm nitpicking in this thread. :)
I clip my garage remote onto the back edge of the overhead console by sliding the clip underneath the plastic. If your remote can't clip, you might want to consider buying a replacement that can. They're pretty cheap.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts