Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I am not getting into kWh talk here, what matters to me are the savings... So, January gas spending $715 and some. Got the Bolt on January 29th. Drove 3,650km so far (I am around 1000km a week) - I had no clue it was that high - was very surprised to see how fast the km accumulates from commuting to/from work everyday...
February usage of the Bolt $71 dollars. (I am putting an extra dollar for today).
So over 90% savings. I am one happy clam. :laugh:

·
Registered
397 Posts
And because you have a silent more enjoyable commute makes you not only happy as a clam but happily calm from the quiet ride and money savings.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
678 Posts
Torontonian69, thanks for the post. Is the $715 just gas, or does it include other costs such as an oil change? Because if it does't, your month to month savings should be even a bit higher over an entire year. Having not made the jump just yet, I am always interested to know more about the personal experience of owning an EV. I am imagining that not having to make a the side trip to the pump once a week is a plus. Does the convenience of having the refuelling point at your doorstep make the daily commute more enjoyable? Anyway, enjoy the ride... and the savings.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Having a warmed less-polluting ride makes short commutes and running small local errands more enjoyable as well as more economical.

As a fifty-year-ICE-builder, I know the worst action for a given vehicle engine and the environment is cranking a cold ICE, driving it a few miles, parking and then doing it again and again. Given continuous cold starts and short trips, our ICE SUV mileage drops to 14-15 MPG, down from 18-20 highway.

Using the preconditioned EV is better for the environment, more comfortable for the driver and passengers and definitely more economical.

jack vines

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And because you have a silent more enjoyable commute makes you not only happy as a clam but happily calm from the quiet ride and money savings.
That is true!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Torontonian69, thanks for the post. Is the $715 just gas, or does it include other costs such as an oil change? Because if it does't, your month to month savings should be even a bit higher over an entire year. Having not made the jump just yet, I am always interested to know more about the personal experience of owning an EV. I am imagining that not having to make a the side trip to the pump once a week is a plus. Does the convenience of having the refuelling point at your doorstep make the daily commute more enjoyable? Anyway, enjoy the ride... and the savings.
That is a great question! The $715 was exclusively gas. I would spend another $120 approximately each 3 months on maintenance. I did not have any problems that would require more than that, but you are right, the savings are now even higher than I expected. I totally forgot about the regular maintenance pretty much inexistent in an EV.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Having a warmed less-polluting ride makes short commutes and running small local errands more enjoyable as well as more economical.

As a fifty-year-ICE-builder, I know the worst action for a given vehicle engine and the environment is cranking a cold ICE, driving it a few miles, parking and then doing it again and again. Given continuous cold starts and short trips, our ICE SUV mileage drops to 14-15 MPG, down from 18-20 highway.

Using the preconditioned EV is better for the environment, more comfortable for the driver and passengers and definitely more economical.

jack vines
I feel so bad to think about the daily 20-30 minutes warm up in the driveway I used to do with my old ICE... I am so happy to have gotten rid of those fumes, be able to precondition my car in my own garage (doors always closed mind you) without worrying about harming myself or everyone in the house due to poisonous fumes.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
In discussing EV advantages to others, I mention that the "average" ICE vehicle (cars & PU trucks) gets 24 miles per gallon (which gallon cost them $2.499). This is 10 cents per mile. I can fill my Bolt for about $6 and go 240 miles. This is 2.5 cents per mile. If they have more questions, I can relate all these other advantages, but driving for 1/4th of the energy cost is a good starting point.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I really don't miss the trips to stand in the cold to buy gas, along with watching my normally 30+mpg vehicle in cold weather drop into the low 20's for gas mileage and spending 40 bucks for premium fuel for my turbocharged Encore.

No matter what kind of ICE car you own, it gets less miles per gallon in winter, I know dam well I did not spend as much for electric as I did for driving my supposedly fuel efficient Buicky.

My Buick would have used at least 60 dollars of fuel for the past month if I still owned it, my guess is I spent $20 for electric in the same time.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I feel so bad to think about the daily 20-30 minutes warm up in the driveway I used to do with my old ICE... I am so happy to have gotten rid of those fumes, be able to precondition my car in my own garage (doors always closed mind you) without worrying about harming myself or everyone in the house due to poisonous fumes.
About 15 years ago, on a cold morning with my 1982 C-10 pickup, I went to work as "usual". Apparently idled a minute or two more than usual in the garage. Later found out from my wife that the carbon monoxide alarm was triggered and she called the fire department, scaring her and the kids. Oops.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok... that’s scary!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
New Poster Here...

I have a 2012 Volt & a 2017 Bolt.

It has always been my experience that the heater will use a lot more of the battery than the A/C.

Our Bolt is in SE Florida since we got it in Nov, 2016. With the A/C set at 72, the G-O-M is still pretty close to being correct. Unless I am driving like I was 16 again.....

Our Volt is in NE Ohio. In summer the G-O-M shows 41-42 miles and it is usually pretty close to that. In winter, with the heat on ECO and the temp set at 70, I am happy if I get 24-25 EV miles.

But my advice is to just drive it and enjoy the very real advantages of EV driving!!

Jim I

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Amazing, Torontonian69! Had I use my old ICE, I would've spent avg $328/month versus with the Bolt which for me was only $80 (fueling costs only). That is, I was paying only 25% of my original fuel costs. ICE maintenance vs EV insurance hike, it brings it up to 30% of my original ICE costs over a 10 year period.

Reactions: Torontonian69
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.