Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-1-2-in-EMT-Aluminum-Bender-Head-and-Handle-74-046/100341459

I bought this tool and bent the headrest legs into straight bars and the seat is much more comfortable now. You can find it at any large hardware store.

Remove headrest and place in tool. Place tool standing upright, then drop your body weight on the padded portion to bend. It takes tremendous strength to do it any other way. I found by dropping my body weight on the headrest with the tool pushing from the ground up it gives you a strong fulcrum that easily bends these strong steel legs.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Just as an FYI, what you have in the Bolt are head restraints, not headrests. Altering them by bending them alters their ability to perform their primary function which is to prevent severe head and neck injuries in an accident.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I knew what it stood for. It's doubtful that a 30 degree bend in the legs will have a major impact on safety. It's the removal of the headrest that'd be dangerous. In it's unaltered state, it is causing my and many other members head and neck injury with it's painful forward protuberance.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If the headrests bothered me, I'd probably do this. devbolt has a point, but I always wonder how older cars (made after 2000) still have luxury headrests that telescope and tilt. I'm doubtful a 30 deg change wouldn't be that deadly to whiplash from rear crashes. Like BoltinAround stated, the head restraints are still there. You might get more neck fatigue as your neck has to slow your head first before it slams into the head restraint to stay moving along with the rest of your body (and the car).

Useful info incase someone really hates the headrests. Sure beats someone turning the head restraint around where it no longer locks into the seat.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just pushed the foam back up each post, and stuck the bend in the post in a machinist's vice. Tightened the vice and the post became straighter, no problem. I only needed to move the pillow back about 3/4" to be comfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just pushed the foam back up each post, and stuck the bend in the post in a machinist's vice. Tightened the vice and the post became straighter, no problem. I only needed to move the pillow back about 3/4" to be comfortable.
Didn't that mar the chrome finish on the legs with the scratchy metal vice surfaces?

I will need to try a vice...

·
Registered
27 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-1-2-in-EMT-Aluminum-Bender-Head-and-Handle-74-046/100341459

I bought this tool and bent the headrest legs into straight bars and the seat is much more comfortable now. You can find it at any large hardware store.

Remove headrest and place in tool. Place tool standing upright, then drop your body weight on the padded portion to bend. It takes tremendous strength to do it any other way. I found by dropping my body weight on the headrest with the tool pushing from the ground up it gives you a strong fulcrum that easily bends these strong steel legs.

I have a 2019, and all this did when I tried it was pull the steel leg all the way out of the head restraint. LOL. I don't have a workbench or anywhere else to attach a vise, so I guess I'll have to leave the head restraints spun around backward until I either find someone to bend it for me, or the automotive industry pulls its head out of its ass and offers head restraints for people with correct (non-kyphotic) posture. At least on the 2019, having them spun around backward isn't as terrible as I've seen in some other cars--they're straight up-and-down with the seat when they're backward, instead of being relatively canted back.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You guys are much higher tech than I am. I took mine out, brought them inside, and with the posts as far inward as possible (short), I shoved the ends of both posts under a closet door with the front of the headest facing up (carpeting as the flooring) and stood on the top/front of the headrests. If you stand on the headrest barefoot, you can feel the top of the mechanism inside (near the top of the headrest) on your foot. I just stood on both sides with both feet and "bounced" up and down a few times and it bent the posts enough that they are still close to my head but they don't push my head forward or cause me to have to lay the seatback down at such a reclined angle that it is uncomfortable. The carpeting and bare feet ensured no scratches and other than the headrests not tilting as far forward, it looks stock and the headrests still easily slide up/down as they should when you press the button.

I took a bit of a risk that the posts would bend where they should (at the bend points) but they seemed to do just that... for me anyway.

Edit: I attached a photo of the "stomped" headrests. Didn't take a before shot, but compare to this photo of a stock headrest:

Versus my "stomped" headrests:

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought that adding more padding to the seat back would help with the headrest issue. It did, but only marginally. So, next project is to bend them a little. I no longer have my bench vise, or my emt bender - going to have to ask friends to see if they do!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts