Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sirrus XM trail for 3 months and that shows up on the display. Whenever I start the car, the radio starts playing. Theres no way to turn it off. Power just mutes it (restarting the car will un-mute it). If you hold down power, the entire system turns off.

The radio starting when you start the car is really annoying.

Sidenote: if there's a way to turn that off - please let me know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I turn the volume all the way to zero (N.B. this is not the same as pressing the mute) before turning off the car.

This is the way car radios worked back in the 1970's. I was ok with it then. It didn't take long for me to get used to the retro feel again. I'm just happy I don't have to listen to disco too.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
It is a lame bit of programing for the Bolt. It is the one thing I did ***** about to GM when I took their survey. The only way to have silence when you start up is to make sure you turn the volume all the way to zero before you shut the trip before. Unfortunately, unlike the cars of yesteryear, it takes about three twists of the volume knob to do this. It is bad design and I hope they fix it one day and hopefully I can download the fix.

It should be like every other car with a radio I've owned. It should do on start up whatever you did when you left off. So if you left the volume on, it comes on. If you have it muted, it stays muted. If you have the volume at zero, it stays at zero. Simple.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This isn't a solution by any means but may mitigate the problem; you can (as mentioned) set the 'starting' volume in the settings screen. The manual says from '13 to 37' (page 177 of the Settings Menu description). I never even noticed the issue until you mentioned it. I guess I'm always listening to something.

·
Banned
350 Posts
a) Press the Phone button on the right side of the steering wheel. The radio won't come on again when you start the car.
b) Press it again to re-enable the radio.
c) Use the Search function on the forum - this question has come up and been answered a half-dozen times before.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
a) Press the Phone button on the right side of the steering wheel. The radio won't come on again when you start the car.
Yes, that does work... I use it as an on/off switch for the radio. It will quickly become habit if you give it a chance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the way car radios worked back in the 1970's.
Thank goodness we are not in the 70s then. Even though that was a wonderful time, I cant live with radios turning on every morning.

This isn't a solution by any means but may mitigate the problem; you can (as mentioned) set the 'starting' volume in the settings screen.
I will definitely do this tomorrow - to the lowest option.

Thank you!!! I will begin my muscle memory training tomorrow!

I find it lame that after you shut off the car, the radio comes back on. I guess I am old fashioned.
I dont think its old fashioned, its just common sense.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Thank goodness we are not in the 70s then. Even though that was a wonderful time, I cant live with radios turning on every morning.
At least in the 70's all you had to do was turn the volume control knob all the way down until it clicked. Then it was really and truly off, no ifs ands or buts.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ and those cassettes and 8-Tracks sure sounded sweet too..... not!

At least we have lossless digital playback and satellite options now, tapes sucked for automotive use.
Between tracking problems, heat warping and dirty heads/capstan rollers.... they were a disaster!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Those were the days, record skipping over every bump added a little something to the music that CD players just didn't have. :D
Maybe someone will figure out how to install one in a Bolt.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm sure there's a way you can buy an updated one that you can connect via usb or auxiliary ;) Now... does anyone have any more records?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Those were the days, record skipping over every bump added a little something to the music that CD players just didn't have. :D
Maybe someone will figure out how to install one in a Bolt.
I'm sure somebody could make an app for that to filter your music. It could add scratches, pops, noise and of course use the accelerometer in the phone to make the music skip every time the car hits a big bump. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It wasn't just records that skipped... remember the early (circa mid 1980's) "portable" and "automotive" CD players?
They used to skip plenty too....

I made a square pad out of 2" thick soft foam for in the center console for my portable Sony CD player to sit on to help minimize skipping. It helped tremendously, but it still skipped occasionally. Thankfully that all ended with the introduction of mp3 digital music and no-moving-parts mp3 players :D

·
Banned
350 Posts
Actually if the radio is On when you turn the car off, it Should stay on and play again when you start the car again - just like a physical switch, e.g. older car radios.

A basic principle of human interface definition is that a setting or switch should remain as it was when your attention turned away. Humans don't like things that act on their own without telling them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find the radio really annoying too. The steering wheel button works for a while but then the radio starts up again.
We listen almost exclusively to Audible books. On the Subaru Forester, when starting, it will politely wait quietly till the Bluetooth is connected and restart the book.

On the Bolt, it won’t wait for ‘no stinking Bluetooth’ and plays the radio and ignores Bluetooth. I have found a work around. I start the audio book on my iPhone before starting the car and the Bolt will switch to it automatically when it connects to the Bluetooth. Still rudely starts the radio, of course, but it does solve the hassle of using Source to scroll down to select the phone. Unfortunately with all that is going on on the dashboard, I can’t simply swap in another sound system.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts