Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not to worry, as Tesla will make a 25% gross profit margin on every $35k Model 3 they sell.

Musk promised, so it must be true.

Reactions: TotaledJetta

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
{sigh} this is what we are up against…

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gm-offers-sneak-peek-chevy-210241744.html

EV's can make all the progress in the world, but until they are profitable they are a curiosity.
In order to continue selling the high margin pickups with CAFE future average manufacturer miles per gallon, they need lots of EV's sold to lower the average mpg. That's how they will make their money off of EV's. Got to look at it from the 20,000 foot level.

·
Registered
392 Posts
{sigh} this is what we are up against…

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gm-offers-sneak-peek-chevy-210241744.html

EV's can make all the progress in the world, but until they are profitable they are a curiosity.
I think this is the real competition;

until we can eliminate this gene from the genepool we are all doomed :) Same gene applies to pickups. Ever notice pickup with crazy exhaust noises too! Then again some people also have smaller Amygdala's than others! :)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
until we can eliminate this gene from the genepool we are all doomed :) Same gene applies to pickups. Ever notice pickup with crazy exhaust noises too! Then again some people also have smaller Amygdala's than others! :)
sorry, but I still love the sound. I was given this book when I was kid and I would play the sounds of racing over and over. My dad had this awesome hifi that was a piece of furniture. I'd crank that baby up and play that 45 for hours.

"World of Racing: Sights and Sounds of International Motor Racing"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36148185-world-of-racing

Sounds from the international WORLD OF RACING narrated by GRAHAM HILL

·
Registered
204 Posts
Music? I got your music right here:

Actually, now that I've put 42K miles on an electric motorcycle over the last 4 years, whenever I hear ICE exhaust, my first thought is: "That is SO 19th century!"

·
Registered
979 Posts
Music? I got your music right here:

Actually, now that I've put 42K miles on an electric motorcycle over the last 4 years, whenever I hear ICE exhaust, my first thought is: "That is SO 19th century!"
That RC166 sounds like a Jawa without the trail of smoke behind it. I'd much prefer the sound of David M's Porsche 911 !

Actually William Morrison of Des Moines, Iowa built the first successful electric automobile in the United States in 1891. (19th century). ICE vehicles are really 20th century.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I remember loving the sound of ICE engines, and the smell of exhaust and gas. That was over forty five years ago, when I smoked three packs a day, and didn't care about anything.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I remember loving the sound of ICE engines, and the smell of exhaust and gas. That was over forty five years ago, when I smoked three packs a day, and didn't care about anything.
I was two packs a day plus six beers and a mickie of southern comfort, and couldn't see anything.:p

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Back the OP, the profitable pickup trucks are what allow the "big three" the room to make losses on BEV programs. Thus far, only GM has been willing to take advantage of the generous cushion provided by pickups to work on the future. The other two have largely just banked the profits with a blind eye to the future. GM will be rewarded in five to ten years time for their forward thinking IMO.

As to the "problem" if we want to call it that, of Americans buying loads and loads of pickup trucks, we have to face that it is what it is. I could live to be two hundred years old and still never be able to tell you why anyone in their right mind would want to use a pickup truck as a daily commuter, or family car. They really are terrible vehicles to drive on a daily basis and I would be miserable if I had to drive one every day.

The challenge is not to try to change buyer's habits, or force consumers into something they don't want, the challenge is for manufacturers to provide a BEV version of what they do want. We all know that current battery technology makes the BEV pickup probably not that practical to go head to head with today's ICE powered pickups, but very soon I hope that battery costs will drop enough that 90-100khw batteries will become more common place and then reasonable a BEV pickup truck at a palatable price of maybe $50,000 that could be quicker, have more torque, better FWD capability, smoother, quieter, very low maintenance and low operating costs to offset the shorter range and longer recharge time could be built. This could start the process of electrifying the pickup fleet.

I really hope that GM and others already have this on their drawing boards. I know Tesla claims to be working on one and I'm sure that the next time Tesla needs a cash infusion we see the reveal and pre order deposits open up for that concept. However I think it is the big three that will have the most success in this market because I am convinced that Elon Musk knows nothing about pickup trucks, or pickup truck buyers and being a micro manager, he will want to build his pickup his way.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Plenty of people need a pickup truck. Plenty of people like to think they need a pickup truck.

It’s the second group that will be the hardest to get onto the EV bandwagon.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It was tough on a lot of hard-working people when the transition was made from the Kodak camera, to digital camera, to smartphone camera.

The existing auto industry is still largely in the “kodak” phase, unfortunately putting hundreds of thousands of good paying medio skill jobs and careers at stake. For Corporate interests and in society’s interests, transition of the industry needs to take place in an orderly and planned way. I think this will happen organically because: the speed of improvement battery technology is/has been way overstated. Who was it that said “there are 3 types of liars in this world: liars, damned liars, and battery engineers”.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Who was it that said “there are 3 types of liars in this world: liars, damned liars, and battery engineers”.
I don't think it was the engineers so much as it is the promoters of battery tech. I'm pretty sure the engineers themselves are much more realistic.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Back the OP, the profitable pickup trucks are what allow the "big three" the room to make losses on BEV programs. Thus far, only GM has been willing to take advantage of the generous cushion provided by pickups to work on the future. The other two have largely just banked the profits with a blind eye to the future. GM will be rewarded in five to ten years time for their forward thinking IMO.

As to the "problem" if we want to call it that, of Americans buying loads and loads of pickup trucks, we have to face that it is what it is. I could live to be two hundred years old and still never be able to tell you why anyone in their right mind would want to use a pickup truck as a daily commuter, or family car. They really are terrible vehicles to drive on a daily basis and I would be miserable if I had to drive one every day.

The challenge is not to try to change buyer's habits, or force consumers into something they don't want, the challenge is for manufacturers to provide a BEV version of what they do want. We all know that current battery technology makes the BEV pickup probably not that practical to go head to head with today's ICE powered pickups, but very soon I hope that battery costs will drop enough that 90-100khw batteries will become more common place and then reasonable a BEV pickup truck at a palatable price of maybe $50,000 that could be quicker, have more torque, better FWD capability, smoother, quieter, very low maintenance and low operating costs to offset the shorter range and longer recharge time could be built. This could start the process of electrifying the pickup fleet.

I really hope that GM and others already have this on their drawing boards. I know Tesla claims to be working on one and I'm sure that the next time Tesla needs a cash infusion we see the reveal and pre order deposits open up for that concept. However I think it is the big three that will have the most success in this market because I am convinced that Elon Musk knows nothing about pickup trucks, or pickup truck buyers and being a micro manager, he will want to build his pickup his way.
Hyping this excellent post. Great insight in the first paragraph about how trucks allow EVs to exist, in a way. Whenever we are tempted to hate truck owners, we can take comfort in the fact that they contributed the most profits to the auto industry and helped to subsidize EVs and other emerging efficiency technologies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts