Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a detailed reason the seats are just not comfortable? What went wrong?

I my driving so far I have spent over an hour in traffic pile ups and construction waiting in
line to get to work. I have noticed four things myself that are just wrong.
One, the bottom is tilted just a bit too far back and you can not adjust that.
Makes my ankle to gas peddle adjustment never seem right.
Two, the plastic digs into your left thigh on the drivers side.
Three the side bolsters are just too stiff aggressive.
Four the headrest is as hard as a brick and if you take a bump in the car
you can hit your head.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
It fascinates me to read all the comments on the seats because it makes me realize how different we all are and in turn how hard it must be to design a seat that accommodates everyone. For example I've seen threads about how to bend the headrest posts because the headrests sit too far forward - but I don't think my head has ever touched the headrest except when I recline the seat to take a snooze.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe all I’ve driven is cars with crappy seats but in general I find myself needing to get out of the car and stretch my legs for a few minutes after two hours. The Bolt is no exception. For drives shorter than that I find the Bolt seats perfectly adequate. I’m in the larger build body type and I’ve heard that body types can influence the perception of seat comforts.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had a lot of cars, Saturn, Chevy, BMW, Mazda, Buick, Pontiac, Honda, Toyota and others. This is the first car I feel truly uncomfortable in and it annoys me because I want to love this car. A 1998 Toyota Camry had better seats. I don't know how they did it. In fact ergonomics can be complicated but I look at the 39k sticker that was on my Bolt and wonder WTH were they thinking.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
8 Posts
Does anyone have a detailed reason the seats are just not comfortable? What went wrong?

I my driving so far I have spent over an hour in traffic pile ups and construction waiting in
you can hit your head.
It obviously depends on the person, before I got my Bolt I did see the numerous posts about the seats and how terrible they are. Now that I have the Bolt and drive about 80 miles a day I have not had any issues with them, for the most part they have been pretty comfortable. Not saying they are luxury seats but overall they haven't been too bad at all in my experience.

·
Registered
411 Posts
For me my 2019 LT is lack of lower back support. My wife's 2021 LT is much better. I thought of swapping the seats as the wife doesn't care.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Not saying they are luxury seats but overall they haven't been too bad at all in my experience."
Well you have a better tolerance than me. I have no issue with the seats for about the first 30 minutes. Then things change. I readjust my leg and start to squirm in the seat to find a more comfortable position. I can feel how stiff the seat bottom and back feels. I even move the seat back and forth so my knee angle adjusts. All while in stop and go traffic. Did I have to do this in other cars? No this is totally new. I want to take this car on multiple hour trips this fall but am now starting to wonder if its possible to tolerate. Thats sad because its a wonderful car to drive.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
47 Posts
I've never thought the seats were uncomfortable, although I'm a bit biased in that regard. Try driving an old Kubota for several hours straight in a rough field - it'll make anything you drive feel like you're sitting in a luxury recliner by comparison. That said, I did get an opportunity to drive a Model 3, and the increase in seat comfort was quite noticeable.

·
Registered
77 Posts

you can hit your head.
Most cars with uncomfortable seats lack thigh support just above the knee and/or are too hard on the buttocks for long stints.

My solution for both the Volt and the Bolt was a seat cushion. Make sure it's one that solves your particular issue. I find that memory foam is the best but there's Purple gel one that some folks seem to like.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I thought the Bolt seat was fine (5'8", 160 lbs) till I got a nerve impingement in my right shoulder, and then the seat was agonizing, and when the impingement cleared, the seat is back to fine. I recently spent at least 10 hrs sitting on it while road tripping so it's had a full test. The 2022 Bolt seat I tried has an adjustable lumbar support, its a little better but not remarkably so, for me.
Biggest disappointment I've had is when I test drove a Premium Mach-E. Power seat doesn't have bottom tilt. AGAIN, at that price level a 10 way seat is expected.

Reactions: ChicagoBob123

·
Registered
2017 (12/2016 build) Bolt premier
246 Posts
The Bolt is the first car I’ve had where the seat goes back far enough and up high enough that my thighs actually touch the seat.

I sit rather upright, and the head rest is too low, but raising it also moves it forward forcing my head too far forward. Then there is the problem that raising the seat so high means I have to duck my head very low to see under the rear view mirror when making a right turn. The dark tinted glass at the top of the windshield puts a line right through the top half of my forward vision.

Even with these problems, for me it is the most comfortable car I’ve driven. I never considered seat comfort something to look for when test driving a new car. I certainly will the next time I’m in the market.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried one seat cushion and it pushed me to high and the seat wouldnt go down any lower. Returned it. I have seriously thought about removing the seat taking off the cover, cutting the garbage pad in half replacing it with 2 inch memory foam or something and putting it back together. Not sure how the seat heater would effect the new foam cushion. Also thought about finding a junk 2022 later and ripping and replacing the seat. Not sure it would help because I have not sat in one. Lots of crazy thoughts been. Going through the head to see if there is anyway to make this work.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
235 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have had no issues in the seats in my 2020. But then again I find full race seats quite comfortable and I like sleeping on the floor or a rock hard mattresses and I have been known to use rounded rocks as pillows when camping.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe my seat is broken. It does go up but maybe it does not go down far enough. That would be really wild is that was true.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
226 Posts
Last Friday I drove 350 miles to pick up my mother-in-law and take her to my wife's White Coat ceremony. Sunday I drove the same route back. I stopped to charge 2 times in each direction. The first and last legs were three hours non-stop. I can honestly say I had no issues with the seats. I was less stiff when I got out than when I sit in my office chair for a couple of hours.

Mine is a 2021. I am 5'7" and weigh about 200. Maybe the seats are just made for short guys.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It obviously depends on the person, before I got my Bolt I did see the numerous posts about the seats and how terrible they are. Now that I have the Bolt and drive about 80 miles a day I have not had any issues with them, for the most part they have been pretty comfortable. Not saying they are luxury seats but overall they haven't been too bad at all in my experience.
I agree with you, but I'm smaller than most at 5'6" and about 140lbs on a full stomach. No complaints about the seats in my 2019 Premier from me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I figure that the seat engineer was a thin woman. To me, the seat is too narrow between the side bolsters, and is especially bad when I spread my legs as usual. Most women sit with their legs more together, and a skinny butt would fit the seat better. I'm about 5'8" and 210# or so.

Fortunately, I seldom drive more than an hour w/o exiting.

Best car seat I've sat in was my Nissan Murano, they call them "Zero Gravity Seats". They come close to that feeling. I'll be sitting in it for 8 hours tomorrow, going 500 miles. (I borrow the Murano for my half-dozen times/year trips)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
There are threads about adding a layer of padding under the seat cover. The seat heater will still be effective that way.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts