Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Does anyone have a detailed reason the seats are just not comfortable? What went wrong?

Three the side bolsters are just too stiff aggressive.
The seats are relatively narrow. Fine for me, but I can see why some people complain...

The Bolt's chief engineer Josh Tavel (pictured below) likes sporty driving, so it may not be too surprising that the seats have larger side bolsters and the suspension is tuned on the firm side (for better handling, but bumps bounce through harder, although it is not as jiggly as some sports cars).

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
130 Posts
I remember test driving one of the first 2017's. I was ready to buy until I sat in it. Although the seats in my 2020 are the same basic design, they aren't bad. They're nowhere near the comfort of my old, long gone, Renaults (5/LeCar and 18i) - but then the French made comfortable cars. What's amazing is that after hours of driving I get out and feel good, I've had a number of cars where I could not say that.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The seat padding/shape is okay/not okay depending on the person. The head-restraints on the front seat are inexcusable though. Claim is they're there to prevent whiplash, but for every injury they prevent, I'd bet they cause at least 10 due to forcing people's upper-back/neck forward at a wrong angle. If I wasn't aiming for a buyback, I'd remove them. Seatback cushion helps a bit (by making the angle less pronounced), but doesn't work for taller passengers (sliding the restraint up pushes it forward even further).

·
Registered
12 Posts
My only real issue with the seats is the plastic frame when entering or exiting the vehicle. The bottom bolsters need more stuffing, which when I get around to it I'll remedy. At 5'9" 165lbs the seats are just wide enough and I find the lumbar to be adequate. Since there is an entire aftermarket industry addressing automotive seats, I'll just get a suitable cushion until I settle on a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have a detailed reason the seats are just not comfortable? What went wrong?

I my driving so far I have spent over an hour in traffic pile ups and construction waiting in
line to get to work. I have noticed four things myself that are just wrong.
One, the bottom is tilted just a bit too far back and you can not adjust that.
Makes my ankle to gas peddle adjustment never seem right.
Two, the plastic digs into your left thigh on the drivers side.
Three the side bolsters are just too stiff aggressive.
Four the headrest is as hard as a brick and if you take a bump in the car
you can hit your head.
I am 6'-2", weigh 315 lbs. and am 20" wide at the hips. I have two fused vertebrae and am 75 years old. The seats in my ‘18 Bolt were/are an issue for me. They are too narrow and not padded enough. I discovered this on my first trip over 15 mi. I was literally sitting on the frame of the seat. 😢 After adding a 1-1/2" thick Garden Kneeling Pad (as documented in several videos on the web) between the seat's original padding and it's springs I can now live with it though the back is still too narrow.

Before this modification I was able to get in and out with ease. Now that I have added the 1-1/2” pad my head rubs extensively on the roof when I do so.This is literally a pain in my neck, shoulders, upper back and head. Many times I worry about injuring myself.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
FWIW, I've noticed the tradeoff between ease of frequent ingress/egress and long-distance comfort. Many of the seats which I'd love for long road trips are a huge PITA for around-town errand running which necessitates in and out. Those soft, cradling buckets with large bottom and side bolsters will wear through in daily use with frequent stops.

Then, there's the gomer factor. Some of us have aged out of low-slung-ass-dragging sports cars and sedans, no matter how comfortable the seats. I love many features of the Tesla M3 and if we had frequent longer road trips, we'd own one. For our everyday use, it's not the right tool for the job that the Bolt is.

Now that I have added the 1-1/2” pad my head rubs extensively on the roof when I do so. This is literally a pain in my neck, shoulders, upper back and head. Many times I worry about injuring myself.
Do you have the seat bottom adjusted all the way down? I met one Bolt owner recently who didn't know the seat was adjustable for height.

jack vines

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Is there an alternative or aftermarket seat? I'd buy.
The short answer is NO. You can hack at your seat pad, you can add pads to make changes but there is no real way to replace for something better and there is nothing to fix the hard/stiff side bolsters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried one seat cushion and it pushed me to high and the seat wouldnt go down any lower. Returned it. I have seriously thought about removing the seat taking off the cover, cutting the garbage pad in half replacing it with 2 inch memory foam or something and putting it back together. Not sure how the seat heater would effect the new foam cushion. Also thought about finding a junk 2022 later and ripping and replacing the seat. Not sure it would help because I have not sat in one. Lots of crazy thoughts been. Going through the head to see if there is anyway to make this work.
Amazon has a nice seat cushion made for a car seat that ties in the back so it stays in place. It's only a little more than an inch thick and it solved the seat comfort problem for me. Well except for that ridiculous head rest tilt! What were they thinking? I am fairly short but the only way I can get reasonable comfort is to have the head rest all the way up. Even then if I go over a lump in the road my head gets slamed into the rock hard head rest. And it doesn't seem to be removable. Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
46 Posts
For me my 2019 LT is lack of lower back support. My wife's 2021 LT is much better. I thought of swapping the seats as the wife doesn't care.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The lubar support can be fixed. I did it to ours, and going to take apart the driver's seat again to add more, as I am still using a 6x9" rectangle of 1" high density upholstery foam behind my back when driving. There is a video on Facebook,, that is linked in these forums, on how to take the seat apart. The only thing he does wrong is pull out the clips to remove the headrests. You only need to pull on the little eye on the spring clip with an awl or long nail to stretch the clip while pulling up on the headrest. I have removed the headrests several times, and it is easy.
Then you have to peel off the fabric/vinyl/leather of the seat, which isn't too bad to get off. After adding padding, it is harder to get back on.
The foam and seat heater is glued to the plastic seat back, and scrapes off easily. Then you glue new foam on the plastic and then glue the old foam to the new foam. I added 2" in the lumbar region, 1" on the rest of the back, and 1/2" along the rock hard bolsters. The seat still is a bit bowl like, pushing my shoulders forward, so I have to try to fix that too.

Recently, I was finally able to get the front of the bottom cushion unclipped. I was then able to slide the 2 garden kneeling pads I had bought from Dollar Tree all the way forward. This lifted the front edge of the cushion, finally giving me some thigh support, and taking some pressure off of the tailbone. I sat for over an hour on in the car the other day, and it was a big improvement. I would like to put some washers under the front of the seat track, but have to get a big torx bit to fit those bolts. The power seat in the new EUV allowed me to tilt it up nicely, and actually seems to be lower in the back of the cushion than the Bolt.

If I am not going to be able to trade the bolt in on something else, I am going to see if I can get seats from a 2022 to at least make it more liveable for the next couple of years. Going to check to see if the suspension parts from the EUV can soften the ride too. The 2022 parts lists don't show up online yet. I hear the EUV rides much much better.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Well except for that ridiculous head rest tilt! What were they thinking? I am fairly short but the only way I can get reasonable comfort is to have the head rest all the way up. Even then if I go over a lump in the road my head gets slamed into the rock hard head rest. And it doesn't seem to be removable. Has anyone tried that?
Interesting, as the head rest is one problem I don't have, never noticed touching it and thus would never have thought about it.

Designing one seat with enough adjustment and safety for all body sizes and types is a difficult challenge.

Being on the taller end of the scale, I notice when I position the seat at the most comfortable driving position, the seat cushion is raised so high when entering my head hits the top of the door frame. If I position the seat as low as it will go, head clearance ingress is much improved, but I don't like the driving position as well. Then, that low-rearward adjustment places my head behind the B-pillar for a blocked line of sight to the left and thus my shoulder behind the same, complicating egress.

Definitely makes one appreciate the six-way-power-memory-AC cooled seats in our older SUV.

jack vines

·
Registered
50 Posts
For me my 2019 LT is lack of lower back support. My wife's 2021 LT is much better. I thought of swapping the seats as the wife doesn't care.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
If you do, let us know how it goes please.

I would assume since the body-shells between the 19 and 21 and the same, the seats would just swap right over....
and rather easily frankly.

In addition, I have thought about getting the 22 interior for my 21 as it seems much better......

Wait a sec, nevermind, I was thinking your 21 was a 22. oops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently sold my 2018. I loved that car! The only thing I dodn't like abouot it was the seat. I hated it. Was very uncomfortable for me and the right side kept digging into my back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I find my 2021 seats barely tolerable......
the 17-19 seats were ever harder for sure.

I have had thoughts of getting an interior out of a 22 and swap into my 21.......
thoughts I should not have to have on a brand-new expensive car......

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have had thoughts of getting an interior out of a 22 and swap into my 21.......

For me it's very simple: the rigid seat "pan" that underlies the bottom cushion rolls up very sharply and high on the sides, and it is TOO NARROW. This results in rolling the driver's thighs inward - look at hip joint anatomy - and leads to real pain after a half hour or so of driving. The designer must by a skinny dude(ess) with narrow hips. Easy to get right. But they didn't.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts