Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this post is not about a story of how my Bolt (or any Bolt) got the dreaded Tow of Shame, but rather a PSA about double checking (and even triple checking) that fast charging stations you think are operational are actually still operational!

In a recent blog I posted about a MD-CT-MD road trip, I mentioned that CCS stations at 2 rest stops on the New Jersey Turnpike had just gone online, at the Joyce Kilmer and Molly Pitcher rest areas. These stations allowed me to make a road trip up and down the NJTP relatively pain-free (they are 100A stations…would have preferred 125A, but beggars can’t be choosers). Also of note is that these stations were collocated with Tesla Supercharging stations.

It seems shortly after I made my road trip, these stations had gone offline, and have been offline for over 2 months now. A poor, unsuspecting Leaf owner did not get the memo these stations were offline, as you can see photos of their Leaf getting the tow of shame on Plugshare. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Should not EVERY Level 3 and Level 2 station have a 110-120V outlet for just this event/occasion/happenstance? We all carry a Level 1 EVSE in our car. Give a few electrons away for FREE. My guess is that it is not a loss of power source that is the cause of the "offline" status, but rather a malfunction of the EVSE itself. Even sitting 1-2 hours to get 4-12 more miles may enable you to get to another station, a friend's house, or a garage. It would show strong support of EV use and cost them little! When the DCFC says "**** no. We won't flow!", we respond with "I'm not fickle. I'll take a trickle!"

{Asterisks substituted by the Forum. I did not think that word would be offensive or censored. - FWW}

·
Registered
782 Posts
reliable and ubiquitous charging infrastructure is the last hurdle to EV adoption - Tesla gets this - not sure many other manufactures fully understand…

·
Registered
544 Posts
reliable and ubiquitous charging infrastructure is the last hurdle to EV adoption - Tesla gets this - not sure many other manufactures fully understand…
Well VW is being forced to take is seriously. As part of the 2 billion dollar settlement related Dieselgate. The office for Electrify America is in the same building I am in so I have actually talked to some of them, they have some pretty bold plans.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/10/vw-ev-charging-network-electrify-america/

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How about "don't care" .. neither would you or I if they could only fire us with a $50M golden parachute.

By the way, I don't think the abundance of charging station would entirely resolve the triple problem: the batteries' price, weight/size, and the duration of charging (too slow). I would say if or when any two of these three are resolved, people would start buying them in the same way they buy ICE cars.

·
Registered
544 Posts
How about "don't care" .. neither would you or I if they could only fire us with a $50M golden parachute.

By the way, I don't think the abundance of charging station would entirely resolve the triple problem: the batteries' price, weight/size, and the duration of charging (too slow). I would say if or when any two of these three are resolved, people would start buying them in the same way they buy ICE cars.
Yes the battery technology while vastly improved over the last decade it still has a ways to go. However if we can have more of a charging infrastructure in place before the batteries are at the magic place of charging fast, weighing less and costing less then the complete switch over to electric instead of ICE will go faster.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
When the DCFC says "**** no. We won't flow!", we respond with "I'm not fickle. I'll take a trickle!"
This needs to be a window decal! :D

Joking aside, last I heard, LG Chem was working on a faster charging battery so you won't be plugged in for too long. But that doesn't help if the charging station doesn't show that it's malfunctioning on the screen. Is there a way to check if a charging station is operational before heading there?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This needs to be a window decal! :D

Joking aside, last I heard, LG Chem was working on a faster charging battery so you won't be plugged in for too long. But that doesn't help if the charging station doesn't show that it's malfunctioning on the screen. Is there a way to check if a charging station is operational before heading there?
There is for EVgo stations: https://www.evgo.com/charging-locations/

The NJTP stations mentioned above are listed as "unknown".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts