Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good time to get a Volt for anyone that was at one point considering one:

The next-gen 2016 Chevrolet Volt looks to be a pretty fantastic vehicle with more electric driving range, better fuel economy than its predecessor, and a lower starting price. However, if you're looking for a deal, the 2015 model of the plug-in hybrid might not be a bad place to check because Chevy has a ton of them to get rid of.

According to The Detroit Free Press, there are around 6,000 examples of the 2015 Volts that are still sitting on dealer lots. That might not sound like a lot, but Chevy only sold 905 of them in April and 2,779 through that month in 2015. It moved 18,805 of the PHEVs for all of 2014.

Buyers are in a pretty good spot to haggle at the moment, too, with the a new Volt right around the corner. According to The Detroit Free Press based on TrueCar figures, the current average closing price for a 2015 model is $30,607 before any federal or state tax credits. You can also lease one for 39 months for $299 a month and $1,649 due at signing. In April, Chevy was reportedly offering customers 2.9-percent financing for 48 months and leases with no money down for buyers trading in a vehicle from a competitor.

Of course, there's also always the option to buy a pre-owned example. Just a few months ago, prices for used Volts were reportedly as low as $13,000 at auction.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How big are the federal and state tax credits? What does the price come down to once you subtract those? It really is a good time to buy an older Volt. Very cheap. Basically a steal.

·
Registered
264 Posts
MAkes sense. Happens with just about all model changeovers, the niche segment of the Volt probably exacerbates the effect. Not to mention the components being downright ancient by now ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is a deal, but when you consider how much better the new Volt model is, you are getting what you pay for by today's EV standards.

I'm reading that the down payment for a lease has been decreased to just $500. There is also an added $1,500 rebate that Chevy is offering.

It's not surprising that sales have slowed, but just to put it in perspective, the first 4 months of this year have seen sales 46 percent lower than the same time period last year.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not bad of a rebate to get from the manufacture, that along with tax credits you get from local and the fed brings you in just over $10k in savings.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It is a deal, but when you consider how much better the new Volt model is, you are getting what you pay for by today's EV standards.

I'm reading that the down payment for a lease has been decreased to just $500. There is also an added $1,500 rebate that Chevy is offering.

It's not surprising that sales have slowed, but just to put it in perspective, the first 4 months of this year have seen sales 46 percent lower than the same time period last year.
Exactly and the new bolt was shown at the Detroit show at the beginning of June. I also have to wonder if the Bolt isn't having a partial effect as well. Are there people who may have been considering a Volt who are content to wait for the Bolt?

I'm not sure, but I bet GM knows...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I could see some people waiting that out. They would have gone with the Volt but now there is the Bolt and they are willing to wait for a body type they want more. Right now there aren't really mainstream brand fully-electric CUV style vehicles. The Bolt is the first one. The Tesla Model X is coming out, but I don't know about any others that are in the pipeline and the Model X isn't even gonna be that affordable.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have noticed they've taken both the Bolt and Volt around together, which goes a long way in cross promoting the both of them, people are bound to ask questions, and seeing this new offering has a big chance at impacting buying decisions.

And then there's tesla's upcoming compact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts