Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted an EV for a long while, but they always seemed a bit too expensive to make sense. I did not think I would get to own one for a few years yet, however the current rebates were too hard to resist. My old car was on its last leg, I needed a commuter and the Bolt seemed ideal.

Leasing a Cajun Red 2020 LT with packages and really loving it. This car seriously surprises me. Everything about it seems extremely... approachable and futuristic. Coming from a 10 year relationship with Volvo that felt as solid as a tank and attached to the road, I naturally expected the Bolt to disappoint me. Little car proved me elitist, narrow minded and just completely wrong. I had to take it home.

Looking forward to driving it around!

p.s. I'm in northern california, S.F. Bay Area

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Wanted an EV for a long while, but they always seemed a bit too expensive to make sense.
Welcome to the forum.

We were in the same situation as yourself; knew a BEV would be perfect for our everyday usage. However, we had two paid-for ICEs in the garage which would handle our transportation chores for the foreseeable future. There was never going to be a bottom line payback for buying a new Bolt.

Finally, friends and family were buying and leasing BEVs and they were just so much fun to drive and so practical, we just said, "Heck with the justification; we want one of these." One of the better presents we've bought ourselves. I mean memories of a cruise might be nice, but the Bolt makes us smile every day.

jack vines

·
Registered
928 Posts
My first GM vehicle ever in 30 years of driving. Its hard to justify the cost if you compare it with a Fit or Versa.. it gets a little easier if you factor the hp and tq into the equation. Not much out there can offer this level of torquiness.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You see a gap in traffic in the next lane, you're in there in the blink of an eye. Also.. HOV lane, silent WOT!, and basically a gas pump in now in your driveway.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My first GM vehicle ever in 30 years of driving. Its hard to justify the cost if you compare it with a Fit or Versa.. it gets a little easier if you factor the hp and tq into the equation. Not much out there can offer this level of torquiness.
Mine too. In fact, for many years I was a dedicated Honda fan-boy. Until I decided to get into EVs and Honda decided ... not to. Now my driveway has not only a Chevy, but also a Ford! (my wife drives a CMax Energi PHEV). After years of poo-pooing American cars for their poor reliability, no-one is as shocked as I am.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Heh. My neighbors gave me a hard time about buying a SECOND GM Car after owning a Volt.

Apparently I'm a 'GM GUY' according to them. After twenty years of owning German and Japanese cars and not earning a label for that.
I'm fine with it as long as GM makes things I actually wants to buy.

I will admit, however, that with both the Volt and this Bolt, the GM dealerships seemed to do everything they could to PREVENT ME from buying the car. I did in fact walk out of one mid conversation while trying to buy a Bolt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Heh. My neighbors gave me a hard time about buying a SECOND GM Car after owning a Volt.

Apparently I'm a 'GM GUY' according to them. After twenty years of owning German and Japanese cars and not earning a label for that.
I'm fine with it as long as GM makes things I actually wants to buy.

I will admit, however, that with both the Volt and this Bolt, the GM dealerships seemed to do everything they could to PREVENT ME from buying the car. I did in fact walk out of one mid conversation while trying to buy a Bolt.
Yes, it seems like they DO not want to sell them..... I guess there is no money in it for servicing them down the road. They love to sell the "Cruse" where I am at because it was cheap and also good for the service department. A neighbor bought one and it was traded in for something else in less than a year. 2-3 months in the shop for any new car (even under warranty) is a little more than disappointing and I am sure that is why it is now gone.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting to hear you say this about the dealer. Had a similar experience. Had to visit them 3 times between test-drive and picking up the car. Each time I would call, or they would call me to go in (!) and each time it was either for nothing, or had to wait 45+ minutes because the car/s were not ready. And getting a reasonable lease was an excruciating process... And I do mean reasonable. They started valuing my trade at 70% of its value (had it appraised elsewhere first), 3.6% APR and a whopping $590 a month for a 39 months 10k miles lease. :rolleyes:

But... a few commutes in and I absolutely do love the Bolt. I'm afraid there's no going back to ICE cars anymore for me. I'm ruined forever now ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Not too surprising since they know zero maintenance dollars are going to be made. Not only that but zero profit for corporate on the vehicle sale.

I was big fan of Hondas too. Its not the 80's or 90's anymore though. I feel like all cars are really good these days. Also, my take is Honda build quality is not as good as they used to be back then. Based on what I have heard, maybe not the most scientific survey.

I could go back to ICE powerplants no problem... The #1 thing I would miss is the brakes to tell you the truth. Hitting those brakes and knowing I'm getting zero back instead of the 60% to 70% back into the tank would suck. Also.. friction brakes feel like rocks rubbing against each other after using regen brakes. ICE motors are really good, as they well should be after 100 years of dominating the marketplace. But yes, the regen brakes I would miss dearly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not too surprising since they know zero maintenance dollars are going to be made.
They could still try to upsell maintenance (e.g. brake fluid change more often than the owner's manual specifies, frequent suspension alignments, deodorizing the HVAC system, etc.) like with any car. An ICE car getting by-the-book maintenance ($39.95 for an oil change and tire rotation at the Chevrolet dealer in many cases) may not bring that much maintenance revenue.

Makes you wonder how important upselling unneeded maintenance is to dealers' financial results.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Coming from a 10 year relationship with Volvo that felt as solid as a tank and attached to the road, I naturally expected the Bolt to disappoint me. Little car proved me elitist, narrow minded and just completely wrong. I had to take it home.
Electric vehicles tend to be relatively heavy for their size, with much of the weight centered on the bottom of the car (the battery). The Bolt is no exception. So that may contribute to the well-planted feeling.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Makes you wonder how important upselling unneeded maintenance is to dealers' financial results.
This is the bottom line. Always remember this when visiting your dealer. It's also the reason that dealers are willing to do the annual state inspection essentially for a loss (NYS-mandated $10 when you don't have an emissions check, $21 when you do). I mean, for those of us who have annual inspections, how many times were you not pressured to do more service? "Your brakes are dangerously thin", "your tire tread is marginal", "you need a new cabin filter"... For me, it has been every time. It's an annual dance of "take my $10", and saying "no" to a dozen things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts