Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What else should a new owner of a Bolt get?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is to use a Tesla destination charger when a J1772 level 2 isn't available, correct? Do you think the availability of Tesla destination chargers vs J1772 makes it worthwhile?

I got the 10-30P to 14-50R adapter so I could use my Juicebox when I go visit family (older dryer outlets). But I don't know how common Tesla destination chargers are.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
401 Posts
I'm a "spare tire person," but that seems to be a minority position these days. You do you.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Bought a spare fuse that I hope that I never will need. Threw it in the glove box when I took my road trip last year.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m a spare tire person myself. An added bonus is it gives additional support to the false floor that sits on top of it
I'm debating whether to get the floor / shelf kit. Having the cargo area flush when I fold down the seats would be nice, but I honestly haven't needed it yet. More frequently, the extra space without the floor/shelf has come in handy.

As for a spare tire, I've only used one twice in 30+ yrs of driving, and both times were because of a screw in the tread. If I can get away with a tire plug kit, I'd prefer not to buy a spare tire. Having said that, when it comes time to replace the OEM tires, I may keep one and get a spare wheel for it. Or, if I find that the OEM tires are unusable in the winter (Michigan), I'll carry one as a spare if/when I get winter tires/wheels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mustart Travelmaster 40 AMP L2 charger with a NEMA 14-50 head (I have an RV hookup out back)
Lectron Tesla adapter (sit sin the back)

Other than, nothing else (so far).

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a spare fuse that I hope that I never will need. Threw it in the glove box when I took my road trip last year.
View attachment 34767
That's the main fuse under the rear seat, correct? If something causes that fuse to blow, should I replace that fuse without having everything else checked out? I'm fine with replacing 12V fuses, but I'm not sure about the high voltage one.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
That's the main fuse under the rear seat, correct? If something causes that fuse to blow, should I replace that fuse without having everything else checked out? I'm fine with replacing 12V fuses, but I'm not sure about the high voltage one.
There's been a few reports of the fuse going bad and stranding a few Bolts. There actually was a recall on this for some Bolts where they replaced the whole manual service disconnect (MSD). The fuse is inside the MSD (that's under the rear seat). I figured it was small and cheap enough to just get one. I wouldn't recommend anyone to try to replace theirs unless they knew what they were doing. There's even a requirement to don PPE.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's been a few reports of the fuse going bad and stranding a few Bolts. There actually was a recall on this for some Bolts where they replaced the whole manual service disconnect (MSD). The fuse is inside the MSD (that's under the rear seat). I figured it was small and cheap enough to just get one. I wouldn't recommend anyone to try to replace theirs unless they knew what they were doing. There's even a requirement to don PPE.
Yeah, that's the kind of mistake you only get to make once. :p

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
195 Posts
Only thing i would want is a motor swap to around 450hp and lb ft. I miss modding like i did on all my fast cars.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a lithium ion jump starter, and also a set of jumper cables from my former ICE vehicle. Does it even make sense to carry jumper cables? Even if I'm fine, can the Bolt be used to jump start other cars?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I love your list (though more robust than mine needs to be) and the question.

I would add "Two cans of fix-a-flat."
Yes, the tires are supposed to be self sealing... But you might still need some additional air pressure even if the built in sealer works.
Similarly...A small portable 12volt compressor/tire inflator.
such as 12V Tire Inflator and Repair System .
A tire repair kit of the plug type such as
https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair-and-tire-wheel/tire-plugger-kit .

Alex

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
An inverter, you can run things in your house if you lose power.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts