Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sure you can.
I won't have to "rev the engine" while charging the other car's battery. I can just make "vroom vroom" noises for the benefit of the other driver. ;)

Although, if I have a lithium ion jump starter, I could probably just use that and forego the extra jumper cables.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm a "spare tire person," but that seems to be a minority position these days. You do you.
In my 40 years of driving I have had two flat tires. Both when I was younger, healthier, and poorer, and therefore did my utmost to change the tire. Both times the lug nuts defeated me and I ended up spending a day‘s pay to get a tow truck out. Those jerks at the tire store with their impact wrenches, sigh...

Now I have enough mobility issues that I wouldn’t even attempt to change a tire myself. I am not taking my Bolt to the Arctic Circle. There are tow trucks. And if I have to call a tow truck anyway, they can just fix the real tire. I am not going to worry about spares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What else should a new owner of a Bolt get?
Mouse traps?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mouse traps?
Apparently, mice like warm, dry places and the power components under the hood of the Bolt fit the bill. It's not smelly and dirty and oily like those ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is to use a Tesla destination charger when a J1772 level 2 isn't available, correct? Do you think the availability of Tesla destination chargers vs J1772 makes it worthwhile?

I got the 10-30P to 14-50R adapter so I could use my Juicebox when I go visit family (older dryer outlets). But I don't know how common Tesla destination chargers are.
If you travel and happen to get along just Tesla destination charger and you are low on charge it will be priceless.....and good investment so you can use your friends Tesla charger if you want. It is costly investment. But in my opinion anything that makes my life less stressful and it is built tough and it is doing what is designed for I will buy it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is to use a Tesla destination charger when a J1772 level 2 isn't available, correct? Do you think the availability of Tesla destination chargers vs J1772 makes it worthwhile?

I got the 10-30P to 14-50R adapter so I could use my Juicebox when I go visit family (older dryer outlets). But I don't know how common Tesla destination chargers are.
I don't know how common it is in many places, but my work has a Tesla charger in the parking lot because the owner has a Tesla. I know some parking garages have them and some small businesses have them as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sun shade (I have the heatshield that fits and works great), first aid kit, fire extinguisher (ironically more for other cars), and a window squeegee with a spray bottle of wiper fluid (since we don't stop at gas stations anymore).

And I'll second a bunch of things: inflator kit, inverter, jump starter/emergency battery/flashlight.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sun shade (I have the heatshield that fits and works great), first aid kit, fire extinguisher (ironically more for other cars), and a window squeegee with a spray bottle of wiper fluid (since we don't stop at gas stations anymore).

And I'll second a bunch of things: inflator kit, inverter, jump starter/emergency battery/flashlight.
I have an older sun shade, but it's too short for the Bolt's windshield. Is there a sun shade for the Bolt that twist collapses and fits into the door compartment? The accordion-style sun shades aren't as easy to store.

As for cleaning the windows, maybe I'll go visit a gas station and confuse everyone. ;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I don't like the accordion shades either. I'm using a twist-fold shade that I've had for about a decade. It's a big truck size with two individual panels that I use with the long side vertical instead of horizontal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maybe somebody's found one by now but our windshields might be too big for one twist-fold. I also don't like the accordion style - the heatshield rolls up which, I think, is at least easier to put away but takes up just as much room.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Twist-fold, separate panels:

I rarely have a passenger, but if I do I toss it in the back seat.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I found this 2 piece collapsible sunshade at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Dri...ST-Colors-Twist-Sun-Shade-31-5-x-38/175503599

It's tall enough, but too wide so there's a lot of overlap, and it has to go behind the mirror:

When folded, it's a little too big for the door pocket:

I think I'll keep looking.
Does it fit in the map pocket behind the passenger seat? Not sure if all years/trims have this feature.

I actually like the one that I got from Target. It's also oversized, that I have to overlap them in the middle a bit.
But I prefer a bit longer/wider; so I can have some coverage for the side windows.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Does it fit in the map pocket behind the passenger seat? Not sure if all years/trims have this feature...
Sadly, my 2020 LT does not have a map pocket. I suppose I could add a seat protector with a pocket, and that might also give me a storage option for an accordion style sunshade. But I'll keep looking for a collapsible sunshade that can fit the windshield and the door pocket. I'm thinking something around 33" with floppy borders might do the trick:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
An inverter, you can run things in your house if you lose power.
Hmmm.🤔

Looks like that inverter would be connected directly to the 12 V battery. And that’s a pretty wimpy battery. It’s not clear whether when the car is off the main battery would keep the 12 V charged?

Or on the other hand if you’d have to keep the car turned on in which case that’s not ideal as the trains a bit of power just to keep it in standby mode.

And that inverter supplies a maximum of 1.5 kW, which is better than nothing when the power is down (could run some lights, one refrigerator maybe...but a tiny fraction of when you could run in the house on a fully charged Bolt if there were a way to do that More directly off the main battery.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hmmm.🤔

Looks like that inverter would be connected directly to the 12 V battery. And that’s a pretty wimpy battery. It’s not clear whether when the car is off the main battery would keep the 12 V charged?

Or on the other hand if you’d have to keep the car turned on in which case that’s not ideal as the trains a bit of power just to keep it in standby mode.

And that inverter supplies a maximum of 1.5 kW, which is better than nothing when the power is down (could run some lights, one refrigerator maybe...but a tiny fraction of when you could run in the house on a fully charged Bolt if there were a way to do that More directly off the main battery.
Yes, you'd have to keep the Bolt on using car wash mode or something similar. EV Extend even has a kit with accessible power connectors attached to the Bolt:

It's tempting. I actually have a small 1600W (2000W peak) gas generator / inverter which I use to run my sump pump, refrigerator, and Internet / WiFi during power outages. Newer version:

At 1500W, the Bolt could handle those loads, and it's a lot easier to hook it up in the garage than setting up the generator outside in a beach tent during a storm. My continuous load isn't even that high, since both the sump pump and refrigerator compressor run intermittently, so it could probably last a few days.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hmmm.🤔

It runs through the 12, but pulls from the traction battery. Works great, I tested it for a few days, no problems. Ran a refrigerator, furnace and cpap machine. There are several threads about "camping mode" and running the car.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts