Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am seriously considering buying a Bolt, and hoping to get some opinions about my situation.

I live in San Francisco, but don't have a garage, and my house is far off the street. So charging at home is probably impossible.

However, I only drive about 15 miles a day and wouldn't have to charge the car constantly. Maybe I could get away with charging it once a week.

Also, San Francisco is likely to have more public charging options than many places, right?

Given all these factors, does it seem like a bad idea to purchase a Bolt without being able to rely on home charging?

Thanks for your ideas!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Maybe think about getting a nissan leaf and get a good deal before the 2018 leaf comes out / now the 2017 leaf has 107 mile range , my 2015 leaf i traded in i got 95
miles on a charge and less in the winter like 89 in GA . The 2018 leaf will have 150 miles but i went and got the Bolt . Now the chevy dealer told me i should keep the car plugged in all the time when i get home in the garage unlike the nissan leaf where nissan does recommend to run the battery down then charge it back up . Of course the lowest i let it go was 40 miles cause i got stuck when i had to do an impromptu run .
check chargepoint .com for where the charging stations are
the chevy bolt i believe uses power too when it needs to heat the battery or cool it in summer and if not plugged in my run battery down over time / just my 2 cents
the nissan leaf is a good electric car just not 250 miles on a charge

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
I think you will get very tired of having to leave your car at a (probably "pay-as-you-charge") EVSE once a week for 3-4 hours. You will not see the cost savings that home chargers do, won't be able to "leave it on the plug", and won't be able to "pre-condition" the battery. Leaving it outside on a cold SF night for the whole night, will not help the battery. Is there a chance to charge at work? That would make it VERY feasible.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Maybe think about getting a nissan leaf and get a good deal before the 2018 leaf comes out / now the 2017 leaf has 107 mile range , my 2015 leaf i traded in i got 95
miles on a charge and less in the winter like 89 in GA . The 2018 leaf will have 150 miles but i went and got the Bolt . Now the chevy dealer told me i should keep the car plugged in all the time when i get home in the garage unlike the nissan leaf where nissan does recommend to run the battery down then charge it back up . Of course the lowest i let it go was 40 miles cause i got stuck when i had to do an impromptu run .
check chargepoint .com for where the charging stations are
the chevy bolt i believe uses power too when it needs to heat the battery or cool it in summer and if not plugged in my run battery down over time / just my 2 cents
the nissan leaf is a good electric car just not 250 miles on a charge
Why would you keep the Bolt connected all the time to drive 15 miles a day? The dealer doesn't know what he is talking about.
To your question. I drive about 100 miles a week and typically charge my Bolt about once a week. Works great and would meet your needs. I have my own charger, but there are lots of chargers in the Bay Area that are available. No way you should buy a Leaf based on your needs. Of course they are very cheap now, because they are outmatched by the Bolts. As far as heating or cooling the Bolt battery, not an issue in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
771 Posts
...but don't have a garage, and my house is far off the street. So charging at home is probably impossible.
Probably impossible? Or absolutely impossible?

If I couldn't charge at home overnight, this would be a likely deal breaker for any EV.

Where do you typically park your vehicle at night? How far away would your vehicle be from any power source? What are the prospects of plumbing power from your house to the closest place you have reserved parking? Can you safely and conveniently park elsewhere? Is there a possibility you can charge while at work? The sweet spot for an 150+ Mile range EV is waking up every morning with a full tank of energy. This practically eliminates range anxiety.

The great thing about the Bay area (for the most part) is the culture is accommodating to EV's, thus you may get help from landlords, HOA's, even neighbors to solve this issue. If you exhaust all reasonable possibilities, then IMO, an EV may not be a good fit for your current circumstances.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Maybe think about getting a nissan leaf and get a good deal before the 2018 leaf
If the OP can't charge at home then he's going to end up having to go somewhere and wait to charge at least twice as often with a 1st-generation Leaf as he would with a Bolt. That, combined what I've heard about how misleading the Leaf's range estimation can be when the battery is low (which makes stretching the time between charges a little more problematic) suggests that it might not be such a good fit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you could make a Bolt work.
Look at the charging station websites or download their apps EVgo/ Charge point / Blink. and look around at your average week travels and see where the chargers are.
I discovered that a weekly breakfast I go to has chargers and a "breakfast time charge" without interrupting my schedule at all give me a huge jump on range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.