Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the drive and reliability of Chevy Bolt? Any major issues at all?
The price discount that they are having on this car is kind of scary. The LT model you can have for as low as $25k (Premier at $29k) without even accounting for the Federal $1875 credit, state rebates and power company rebates.

I am thinking of trading in my 2018 Prime and getting this car for work commute (100 miles RT). What do you guys think?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Prius... Prius ?????

You will love the Bolt, no reservations! I came from a 2012 Prius, then Plug-in-Prius, then a Volt.
The Bolt is the best of all of them! It is an amazing vehicle and a blast to drive.
Plan on installing a L2 EVSE at your home if you don't already have one. The Bolt will draw up to 32 amps @ 240volts.

PS- get the Premiere... you will not regret all the tech upgrades. It's like a spaceship.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prius... Prius ?????

You will love the Bolt, no reservations! I came from a 2012 Prius, then Plug-in-Prius, then a Volt.
The Bolt is the best of all of them! It is an amazing vehicle and a blast to drive.
Plan on installing a L2 EVSE at your home if you don't already have one. The Bolt will draw up to 32 amps @ 240volts.

PS- get the Premiere... you will not regret all the tech upgrades. It's like a spaceship.
Yeah Prius Prime is my first plug-in car and so far have no complain about it except the 25 miles EV range. But after all the rebates, this came out around $22k OTD so not bad at all.
Then I saw Bolt having a big discount of almost 14k, its a no brainer to switch to Bolt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah get the top trim. The upholstery holds up better, and the tech is pretty great, plus in the 2020, all your cameras will be HD. Dump the Prius and don't look back. 10% of the EV range want, 100% of the headaches of owning a gasoline car. I'm 3 years in to my Premiere Bolt and it's been a real workhorse for our family, camping, road trips and all. Nobody that buys a long range EV ever goes back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the differences between the LT and premier? Is it mainly those safety options like LKA and Blind Spot monitoring?
I live in SoCal so no need for heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
LKA is very poor in the Bolt EV. It is more like LDW (lane departure warning). Yes, it turns you back toward your lane, but not before you have left it (and got hit by the passing {or, oncoming} car)! Also, it does not know when it has reached the center of the lane. It just keeps going in that direction until it leaves the lane on the opposite side. My passenger (wife) notices the tendency toward lane departure before the Bolt EV does! {And provides an audible warning!}

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
What are the differences between the LT and premier? Is it mainly those safety options like LKA and Blind Spot monitoring?
Leather seats, 360 bird's eye view (this is nice), and rear view mirror display (I like it) come to mind. For model year 2017, you had to get the Premier trim to get some of the other extra safety features that now are available for the LT.

edit: forgot about the roof rails

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
LKA is very poor in the Bolt EV. It is more like LDW (lane departure warning). Yes, it turns you back toward your lane, but not before you have left it (and got hit by the passing {or, oncoming} car)! Also, it does not know when it has reached the center of the lane. It just keeps going in that direction until it leaves the lane on the opposite side. My passenger (wife) notices the tendency toward lane departure before the Bolt EV does! {And provides an audible warning!}
It's funny how each of us view this feature. I like it and it behaves in a way that I think it should. Gently nudges you back into your lane without being obnoxious. I still wonder how much this feature is dependent on its calibration, windshield cleanliness, and state to state road markings as the reports of its operation vary wildly. I do make a habit to view the DIC to see when it's active or not. This way I'm not surprised when it does and does not operate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leather seats, 360 bird's eye view (this is nice), and rear view mirror display (I like it) come to mind.

edit: forgot about the roof rails
Does any of the features above you mentioned included in these options below?

This is what it shows on window sticker for Bolt LT model.
Installed Options
  • DC fast charging $750.00
  • LPO, Interior Protection Package $220.00
  • LPO, Wheel locks $75.00
  • Driver Confidence Package $495.00
  • Comfort and Convenience Package $555.00
  • Driver Confidence II Package $495.00
I just want to see if I can get the LT model instead of the Premier. But I like the 360 bird's eye view and rear view display. So if its included in one of the options then I would go with LT model.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Leather seats, 360 bird's eye view, and rear view mirror display are all Premier-only features, not part of any of the options packages.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Does any of the features above you mentioned included in these options below?

This is what it shows on window sticker for Bolt LT model.
Installed Options
  • LPO, Interior Protection Package $220.00
  • LPO, Wheel locks $75.00
  • Driver Confidence Package $495.00
  • Comfort and Convenience Package $555.00
  • Driver Confidence II Package $495.00
I just want to see if I can get the LT model instead of the Premier. But I like the 360 bird's eye view and rear view display. So if its included in one of the options then I would go with LT model.
as @NightHawk mentioned, they're not part of the option packages of the LT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the packages options for 2020 Bolt for reference:

Packages Options:
Comfort and Convenience Package: $555
Heated driver and front passenger seats
Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Automatic heated steering wheel
Inside rearview auto-dimming mirror

Driver Confidence Package: $495
Rear Park Assist
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert

Driver Confidence Package II: $495
Automatic Emergency Braking
Forward Collision Alert
Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
Following Distance Indicator
Front Pedestrian Braking
IntelliBeam automatic high beam headlamps

DC FAST CHARGING CAPABILITY: $750

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too live in socal also, and while you don't need it, strictly speaking, that heated steering wheel is a luxury I've really come to enjoy, especially when I come back to the car from having been outdoors for a long time during the "winter" - On the other hand, I was up over the grapevine during that last insane snow storm when they closed the 5 - Had to dig out the driveway of the AirBnB, and MAN was it nice to have that toasty steering wheel to grab hold of. Warm fingers are important, I promise. I used to ride motorcycles year round in New York City and the difference between fingers that are "fine" and fingers that are toasty is not to be underestimated. You'll really come to appreciate it, and it takes the pressure off wanting to crank up the cabin heat, which is perhaps the most important.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I suggest you first read all of the "thinking of buying a Bolt" threads. Lots of info there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But I like the 360 bird's eye view and rear view display.
I bought a 2017 Premier mainly because I love gadgets and one of the items I wanted was the "Rear view display mirror".....Have to say, I rarely ever use it. Older guy and I've stared at computer screens all my life which has made me farsighted. I can see objects in the distance clearly so I don't wear glasses but when reading up close I must use reading glasses which I don't wear while driving. So when I look in the mirror my eyes focus on distant objects that I can see clearly, but using the rear view display, I can't see it clearly because I have to try to focus on the distance to the screen.

As for the DC fast charging, I use it far more than I anticipated. It is an option on either trim, but I would encourage anyone reading this to go ahead and spend $750 for it. If you have it and never need then money spent should help when it comes time to trade, but if you ever need it and don't have it, you'll regret not spending $750 on a $37,000-$40,000+ car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am leaning on getting the LT with driver packages and DCFC option. The bird's eye view and rear view are nice but it will add about $4k to the price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts